Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

  1. #1
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    10,733

    Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,582

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Chris Farley gave the best McCartney interview ever IMO.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  4. #3
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,530

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    I squirmed while watching it.

  5. #4
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,228

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    "What is the most tender cut of the McCartney?"
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  6. #5
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,530

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    When watching this I thought...how does someone like Paul McCartney not have a manager who would let him know what he is getting into with Colbert...he was clueless going in.

  7. #6
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,774

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    When watching this I thought...how does someone like Paul McCartney not have a manager who would let him know what he is getting into with Colbert...he was clueless going in.
    Colbert's guests, at least the one's he likes and respects, usually get prepped. There is footage of Colbert prepping John Kerry and explaining that he's playing a character.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  8. #7
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    I saw it when it aired -- it was truly uncomfortable television. I hope McCartney's manager was fired on the spot for not warning him about what he was getting into.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  9. #8
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,422

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    As if 'airing on Comedy Central' weren't enough of a hint . . .

  10. #9
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,530

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    I was actually shocked that Colbert gave him the business. Regular viewers know that the McCartney interview was not the normal nightly Colbert interview...rather along the lines of "Better Know a District". Off the top of my head I can think of James Taylor,Willie Nelson,Yo Yo Ma,Toby Keith...and Colbert didn't try to make of fool of them...I wonder why he choose to do so to McCartney.

  11. #10
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was actually shocked that Colbert gave him the business. Regular viewers know that the McCartney interview was not the normal nightly Colbert interview...rather along the lines of "Better Know a District". Off the top of my head I can think of James Taylor,Willie Nelson,Yo Yo Ma,Toby Keith...and Colbert didn't try to make of fool of them...I wonder why he choose to do so to McCartney.
    Maybe he blew them off when they asked him to come in studio and play a song off the album -- it'd be the kind of response-interview I'd expect Colbert to give when the subject had been a jerk to him previously.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  12. #11
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,560

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Colbert's guests, at least the one's he likes and respects, usually get prepped. There is footage of Colbert prepping John Kerry and explaining that he's playing a character.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfiL2hpnmZ0

    I think this is what you're referring to.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  13. #12
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,040

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    I think folks are making more of this than what it really was. It looks to me like McCartney knows he's joking around. I thought, when I first saw it, that it was very stilted. It's mostly bad acting on McCartney's part. But this type of humour (as they'd spell it in "jolly old, jolly old") is very much something the Beatles would get. They were huge fans of Peter Sellers and helped out the folks who formed Monty Python (I know George produced a number of their movies). It wasn't Colbert's best stuff, although when I went back and watched again prior to responding to this thread, you can see they're both amused.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Chris Farley gave the best McCartney interview ever IMO.
    Touche.

  15. #14
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    That was awesome.

    He knew it was a spoof.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  16. #15
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,087

    Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think folks are making more of this than what it really was. It looks to me like McCartney knows he's joking around. I thought, when I first saw it, that it was very stilted. It's mostly bad acting on McCartney's part. But this type of humour (as they'd spell it in "jolly old, jolly old") is very much something the Beatles would get. They were huge fans of Peter Sellers and helped out the folks who formed Monty Python (I know George produced a number of their movies). It wasn't Colbert's best stuff, although when I went back and watched again prior to responding to this thread, you can see they're both amused.
    Yah. only saw it once and I was in tears. I think Paul was in on the joke from the beginning.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25