Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Steve Colbert gives the best Paul McCartney interview, ever

Chris Farley gave the best McCartney interview ever IMO.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I squirmed while watching it.

"What is the most tender cut of the McCartney?"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

When watching this I thought...how does someone like Paul McCartney not have a manager who would let him know what he is getting into with Colbert...he was clueless going in.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    When watching this I thought...how does someone like Paul McCartney not have a manager who would let him know what he is getting into with Colbert...he was clueless going in.
    Colbert's guests, at least the one's he likes and respects, usually get prepped. There is footage of Colbert prepping John Kerry and explaining that he's playing a character.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I saw it when it aired -- it was truly uncomfortable television. I hope McCartney's manager was fired on the spot for not warning him about what he was getting into.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

As if 'airing on Comedy Central' weren't enough of a hint . . .

I was actually shocked that Colbert gave him the business. Regular viewers know that the McCartney interview was not the normal nightly Colbert interview...rather along the lines of "Better Know a District". Off the top of my head I can think of James Taylor,Willie Nelson,Yo Yo Ma,Toby Keith...and Colbert didn't try to make of fool of them...I wonder why he choose to do so to McCartney.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I was actually shocked that Colbert gave him the business. Regular viewers know that the McCartney interview was not the normal nightly Colbert interview...rather along the lines of "Better Know a District". Off the top of my head I can think of James Taylor,Willie Nelson,Yo Yo Ma,Toby Keith...and Colbert didn't try to make of fool of them...I wonder why he choose to do so to McCartney.
    Maybe he blew them off when they asked him to come in studio and play a song off the album -- it'd be the kind of response-interview I'd expect Colbert to give when the subject had been a jerk to him previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Colbert's guests, at least the one's he likes and respects, usually get prepped. There is footage of Colbert prepping John Kerry and explaining that he's playing a character.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfiL2hpnmZ0

I think this is what you're referring to.

I think folks are making more of this than what it really was. It looks to me like McCartney knows he's joking around. I thought, when I first saw it, that it was very stilted. It's mostly bad acting on McCartney's part. But this type of humour (as they'd spell it in "jolly old, jolly old") is very much something the Beatles would get. They were huge fans of Peter Sellers and helped out the folks who formed Monty Python (I know George produced a number of their movies). It wasn't Colbert's best stuff, although when I went back and watched again prior to responding to this thread, you can see they're both amused.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Chris Farley gave the best McCartney interview ever IMO.
    Touche.

That was awesome.

He knew it was a spoof.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think folks are making more of this than what it really was. It looks to me like McCartney knows he's joking around. I thought, when I first saw it, that it was very stilted. It's mostly bad acting on McCartney's part. But this type of humour (as they'd spell it in "jolly old, jolly old") is very much something the Beatles would get. They were huge fans of Peter Sellers and helped out the folks who formed Monty Python (I know George produced a number of their movies). It wasn't Colbert's best stuff, although when I went back and watched again prior to responding to this thread, you can see they're both amused.
    Yah. only saw it once and I was in tears. I think Paul was in on the joke from the beginning.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?