ESPN --

Knight reportedly likes GeorgiaComment Email Print ESPN.com news services
Georgia may be on Bob Knight's mind.

A source close to the Basketball Hall of Fame coach told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday that if Knight were offered the Bulldogs job, he would take it.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's pursuing the job. He'd like to be offered it, and if offered, he'd take it," the source said.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's looking for work, but I can assure you that he'd like to have the job. It's the idea of coaching a team in the Southeastern Conference that appeals to him. There are just so many things he could do for Georgia basketball. This would be his last stop, and he likes that."

Georgia fired Dennis Felton last Thursday after the Bulldogs (9-12 overall, 0-6 SEC) got off to an 0-5 start in the conference. Associate coach Pete Herrmann was named interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Knight, 68, left Texas Tech in the middle of the 2008 season. The winningest men's college basketball coach in history with 902 victories coached the Red Raiders from 2001-08 after a 29-year run at Indiana that ended in controversy.

After leaving Texas Tech -- the reins were handed to son Pat -- Knight has worked as an analyst for ESPN.

"I have never said that I wouldn't coach again," Knight said in a statement. "I've simply said in the past, if the right situation came along, I would be interested."

Georgia junior forward-center Albert Jackson expressed enthusiasm when told Knight might have interest in coaching the Bulldogs.

"I would love to have a coach of that caliber, that stature," Jackson told the Journal-Constitution. "You have a Hall of Fame coach, you have somebody like that, all you can do is be happy. "If Bobby Knight wants to come in here, I'd be more than happy."

Meanwhile, Knight will call his first women's basketball game on Monday night when Tennessee coach Pat Summitt gets a first crack at her 1,000th victory. The Lady Vols' game, against No. 2 Oklahoma, airs on ESPN2 at 7:30 p.m. ET from Oklahoma City.