Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Knight interested in Georgia job...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bob Knight interested in Georgia job...

ESPN --

Knight reportedly likes GeorgiaComment Email Print ESPN.com news services
    Georgia may be on Bob Knight's mind.

A source close to the Basketball Hall of Fame coach told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday that if Knight were offered the Bulldogs job, he would take it.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's pursuing the job. He'd like to be offered it, and if offered, he'd take it," the source said.

"He doesn't want it to look as if he's looking for work, but I can assure you that he'd like to have the job. It's the idea of coaching a team in the Southeastern Conference that appeals to him. There are just so many things he could do for Georgia basketball. This would be his last stop, and he likes that."

Georgia fired Dennis Felton last Thursday after the Bulldogs (9-12 overall, 0-6 SEC) got off to an 0-5 start in the conference. Associate coach Pete Herrmann was named interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Knight, 68, left Texas Tech in the middle of the 2008 season. The winningest men's college basketball coach in history with 902 victories coached the Red Raiders from 2001-08 after a 29-year run at Indiana that ended in controversy.

After leaving Texas Tech -- the reins were handed to son Pat -- Knight has worked as an analyst for ESPN.

"I have never said that I wouldn't coach again," Knight said in a statement. "I've simply said in the past, if the right situation came along, I would be interested."

Georgia junior forward-center Albert Jackson expressed enthusiasm when told Knight might have interest in coaching the Bulldogs.

"I would love to have a coach of that caliber, that stature," Jackson told the Journal-Constitution. "You have a Hall of Fame coach, you have somebody like that, all you can do is be happy. "If Bobby Knight wants to come in here, I'd be more than happy."

Meanwhile, Knight will call his first women's basketball game on Monday night when Tennessee coach Pat Summitt gets a first crack at her 1,000th victory. The Lady Vols' game, against No. 2 Oklahoma, airs on ESPN2 at 7:30 p.m. ET from Oklahoma City.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Knight interested in Georgia job...

This was mentioned on the NCAA hoops post, but I think this is a bad idea for Knight and for UGa.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    This was mentioned on the NCAA hoops post, but I think this is a bad idea for Knight and for UGa.
    I don't disagree, but on one hand, it would be great to have Knight in the SEC. I miss the days when he was at IU.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I don't disagree, but on one hand, it would be great to have Knight in the SEC. I miss the days when he was at IU.
    I miss those days too, but sadly they are gone. He's 68 years old now, and was clearly burned out near the end at Texas Tech. I really can't see Georgia being any better of a situation for him. I'm sure he could turn it around, but at what cost? Realistically they're not going to compete for a championship under him, and the best he could probably expect is an annual 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I miss those days too, but sadly they are gone. He's 68 years old now, and was clearly burned out near the end at Texas Tech. I really can't see Georgia being any better of a situation for him. I'm sure he could turn it around, but at what cost? Realistically they're not going to compete for a championship under him, and the best he could probably expect is an annual 1st or 2nd round exit in the NCAA's.
    I think it ultimately depends on what he wants to do while at Georgia and how realistic his expectations are.

If he wants to come into Athens and turn them into a national championship contender within 2 years, he is going to have problems.

However, if he brought a bright young assistant coach with him, laid out a blueprint to get Georgia back on track with the intention of handing the program over within those two years, it could possibly work, even though Knight himself would not receive the ultimate reward.

Regardless, Knight is going to be a short term hire, but he would likely be able to attract the talent and make Georgia competitive. If there isn't somebody to carry the torch after Knight, it will be a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think it ultimately depends on what he wants to do while at Georgia and how realistic his expectations are.

If he wants to come into Athens and turn them into a national championship contender within 2 years, he is going to have problems.

However, if he brought a bright young assistant coach with him, laid out a blueprint to get Georgia back on track with the intention of handing the program over within those two years, it could possibly work, even though Knight himself would not receive the ultimate reward.

Regardless, Knight is going to be a short term hire, but he would likely be able to attract the talent and make Georgia competitive. If there isn't somebody to carry the torch after Knight, it will be a disaster.
    Well, Knight is more about recruiting the kind of players that fit his system. He certainly has talented players, but he's not really known as a top notch recruiter because he doesn't bother with your typical stars. I agree with you, if some kind of succession plan was put in place, it could work. But I honestly can't see his ego allowing him to do that, and this is coming from a huge fan of Coach Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post

A couple days ago the BTN was showing the 1993 IU-OSU game in Columbus when the Buckeyes ended the Hoosiers undefeated Big Ten run.

Knight was not happy with the clock keeper on the last play of regulation, so just before overtime he goes over to the scores table, gets right in the face of the clock keeper and gives me an earful.

It's pretty silly that Knight did/does stuff like this, but it is also pretty damn funny as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    A couple days ago the BTN was showing the 1993 IU-OSU game in Columbus when the Buckeyes ended the Hoosiers undefeated Big Ten run.

Knight was not happy with the clock keeper on the last play of regulation, so just before overtime he goes over to the scores table, gets right in the face of the clock keeper and gives me an earful.

It's pretty silly that Knight did/does stuff like this, but it is also pretty damn funny as well.
    I don't know if you saw it but Pat Knight was ejected the other night during a Texas Tech game. I guess even after he was ejected and back in the locker room he came back on the court during the game to give the Refs more grief. I agree they are both insane but its so damn fun to watch!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I don't know if you saw it but Pat Knight was ejected the other night during a Texas Tech game. I guess even after he was ejected and back in the locker room he came back on the court during the game to give the Refs more grief. I agree they are both insane but its so damn fun to watch!!
    That was quite a blowup. An instant Knight classic for sure.

Knight, 67, abruptly resigned Monday as coach at Texas Tech, citing exhaustion and handing the team over to his designated successor, his 36-year-old son, Pat.
    What, now he thinks he can handle another round?
    Stay retired, Bob.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bob Knight & the SEC.

That would be a whale of a good reality tv show.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    What, now he thinks he can handle another round?
    Stay retired, Bob.

Tanned, rested and ready?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Does Knight pick his teams based on uniform color? Curious coincidence that this would be his third team in a row with red and white unis.

Maybe he could help Dusty with the Reds?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Does Knight pick his teams based on uniform color? Curious coincidence that this would be his third team in a row with red and white unis.

Maybe he could help Dusty with the Reds?

Actually, Georgia's colors are red and black just like Texas Tech. IU's are red and white - or crimson and cream.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Unfortunately, I think Pat inherited all of the madness and none of the genius.

Turn Off Ads?