Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Numbers aside... who do you WANT to win the 5th starter's spot?

Numbers aside... who do you WANT to win the 5th starter's spot?

I don't want predictions of ST numbers. Tell me who you want to win the fifth SP slot and why?

I've been torn on this myself, teetering back and forth between Owings and Ramirez. Owings has the track record, but Ramirez did well in september against a few contending teams. I'm leaning towards Owings as I think he can extend the bench a bit as a SP, moreso than he could as a RP.

Of course since there are no less than 6 pitchers vying for the spot, the competition is interesting.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Numbers aside... who do you WANT to win the 5th starter's spot?

Owings. Has had some success, is at an age and with enough experience that he could surprise, and his bat would a bonus on the days he isn't pitching.

Masset for long relief, assuming he shows fine this spring.

Ramirez, Thompson, and Bailey to AAA to season like mad, and either make themselves wonderful trade bait or allow the reds to consider dealing harang or arroyo mid-season.

Personally, I think there's only one answer for who we should WANT to win the fifth spot: Homer. I'd love to see him take that kind of step forward. He has more upside than anyone in the mix.

My answer would change if he only won the job by default. That wouldn't be a good development for him. But if he went out and grabbed it? That would be huge.

Owings. His offense adds a lot to his overall package.

I would put Ramirez in long relief and kick Masset to the curb...

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Personally, I think there's only one answer for who we should WANT to win the fifth spot: Homer. I'd love to see him take that kind of step forward. He has more upside than anyone in the mix.

My answer would change if he only won the job by default. That wouldn't be a good development for him. But if he went out and grabbed it? That would be huge.
    Touche...

Homer.....it would mean that he has beaten out some pretty good competition and is ready.
    Let's play two!!!

Owings because then you could use him as a PHer the 4 days he doesn't pitch.
    Last edited by reds44; 02-26-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Owings is by far my preferred choice. The impact of eliminating a .350 OPS from the lineup in the NL on days he pitches is too much to pass up.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Bailey. If he puts up good enough starts to win the spot, he by far has the best upside of any of them.

Micah. If he's over his arm problems. Has had success, makes the bench better.

If Owings is still having problems with injuries, then Bailey. It's time to find out what he's got.

Everyone else is trade bait, unless they impress. If they impress, they're probably even bigger trade bait.

Rem

Owings. As a pitcher, you've seen him OPS+ 109 with a solid WHIP and decent perephials. Not only that, his bat makes him even better. If he performs at that level, Cincinnati can then either deal a more expensive hurler (i.e., Arroyo/ Harang) for needed help (i.e., Teargarden, Saltalamacchia, Andrus, or Ramirez from Texas, or perhaps a Hu/ DeJesus and Kemp/ Ethier package from LA) and gamble on another fifth starter option or go ahead and play like it's early 70's Baltimore.

Not only that, if Owings emerges, Bailey could then become a middle reliever, allowing him to ease into the major leagues. His plus stuff could then be that middle inning hammer the bullpen needs and his learning curve in later years could be shortened.

Ramirez, Maloney, and Thompson could all be stashed in AAA as emergency starters, trade bait, and erstwhile fifth starter options.

CC Sabathia.

I'd prefer Owings to win it, Bailey to have a good spring and start at AAA, Bailey to dominate AAA, and --

Reds to be forced to trade a veteran pitcher so they can make room for both Owings and Bailey in the rotation.

I'm rooting like hell for Matt Maloney.

He's good people.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I think the best case scenario for the Reds would be for Micah Owings to win the job out of spring training. As a result of Owings winning the job, Homer Bailey goes to Louisville and dominates hitters and forces the Reds to trade Bronson Arroyo midseason. By the end of the season the Reds rotation is Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto, Aaron Harang, Micah Owings, and Homer Bailey. 4/5ths of the rotation is 26 years old or younger.

Bailey....Unless another pitcher has a lights out ST, Bailey not making the rotation would likely be a step backwards for him.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?