Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sox offer Abreu... Could Jermaine Dye be back in Walt's plans?

Sox offer Abreu... Could Jermaine Dye be back in Walt's plans?

Per Trade Rumors

According to Roger Rubin of the New York Daily News, the White Sox offered a one-year, $8MM deal to free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu. If the Sox are able to sign Abreu, you'd have to think Jermaine Dye or Jim Thome would be traded.

Abreu has also been linked recently to the Braves, Mariners, Dodgers, and Giants.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sox offer Abreu... Could Jermaine Dye be back in Walt's plans?

I'm back on Dye's bandwagon hope he is on Walt's

Why we wouldnt just try to sign Abreu over trading for Dye is kind of mind blowing.

Then again trading young talent for a more expensive guy does seem like a reds type of move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Why we wouldnt just try to sign Abreu over trading for Dye is kind of mind blowing.

Then again trading young talent for a more expensive guy does seem like a reds type of move.
    I'd rather have Dye. He more of a complete player.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

I think signing top of the line free agents lead to giving up compensatory picks. So Walt likes making trades more than signing top line free agents. Just my $.02 cents.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I'd rather have Dye. He more of a complete player.
    complete how? I cant think of a thing Abreu would be worse at than Dye.

We could do worse than:

Taveras
    Philllips(you know dusty will do it)
    Votto
    Dye
    Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Hernandez
    Agon

No honestly you probably couldn't

No honestly you probably couldn't
    care to elaborate

Bruce, Taveras, Hernandez, Dye IMO are all better than who they are replacing from the opening day lineup last year.
    Last edited by redhawk61; 02-03-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Taveras is goin to play everyday so there is no way he out produces what the reds got out of CF last year.

Bruce probably will out produce Griffey even if he regresses just because of the defense.

Dye is probably a wash with Dunn if you believe that Dye is some how a much better defender than I think he is.

and Hernandez is a better bat but his Defense isnt something im really too excited about.

Then give the fact that dusty is controlling the line up which would keep edwin in the bottom 3rd of it likely I just dont see it being all that much better than last years.

Taveras is goin to play everyday so there is no way he out produces what the reds got out of CF last year.

Bruce probably will out produce Griffey even if he regresses just because of the defense.

Dye is probably a wash with Dunn if you believe that Dye is some how a much better defender than I think he is.

and Hernandez is a better bat but his Defense isnt something im really too excited about.

Then give the fact that dusty is controlling the line up which would keep edwin in the bottom 3rd of it likely I just dont see it being all that much better than last years.
    I think any of those players will provide better defense than Dunn and Griffey.

Yes, the Reds will miss Dunn's homers, but I think Dye would hit for better average and is a better clutch hitter than Dunn ever was.

Even if Taveras isn't that good, I think he's better than Patterson offensively.

Yes, I think the Reds have upgraded their outfield.
    Who's on first?

You don't think Willy can out produce .205/.238/.344?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I think any of those players will provide better defense than Dunn and Griffey.

Yes, the Reds will miss Dunn's homers, but I think Dye would hit for better average and is a better clutch hitter than Dunn ever was.

Even if Taveras isn't that good, I think he's better than Patterson offensively.

Yes, I think the Reds have upgraded their outfield.
    I think Taveras is a solid down grade defensively over patterson with only slight offensive. But there is no way Taveras touches the over all reds production from CF last year of a .700 OPS.

They have maybe upgraded their outfield but thats a pretty large maybe. I see it as probably down graded unless Bruce goes nuts this season.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    More people than patterson played CF last year for the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    He almost has to. Heck, he's almost guaranteed to have a higher AVG than Corey's OBP.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Turn Off Ads?