Turn Off Ads?

Thread: White Sox Offer Abreu 1 Year Deal; Dye?

White Sox Offer Abreu 1 Year Deal; Dye?

White Sox make Abreu one-year offer
    2/3/2009

The White Sox have made free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu a one-year offer for $8 million, the New York Daily News reported.

Abreu made $16 million last season with the Yankees, hitting .296 with 20 homers, 100 RBIs, 100 runs and 22 steals.

The White Sox are the latest team linked to Abreu in the past week. The New York Post reported that the Mets have shown some interest, but have not made an offer. The Seattle Times reported that the Mariners were interested.
    The White Sox have Quentin and Dye in LF and RF so a deal would have to follow. Could the Reds possibly revisit a Bailey for Dye deal? I understand Walt has said the Reds are supposedly at budget, but I thought this was interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Re: White Sox Offer Abreu 1 Year Deal; Dye?

I really hope the Reds don't pass on Abreu only to trade Bailey for the more expensive Dye.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I really hope the Reds don't pass on Abreu only to trade Bailey for the more expensive Dye.
    Dye bats RH. Abreu bats LH. The Reds need RH bats according to Walt. Then again, they are currently only shopping for fringe guys to provide bench help. The eliminates both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Also the less talented Dye. Trading away Homer for Dye would be awful if you could pick up Abreu for about the same price.

I think it's all moot point though, the Reds aren't likely signing any multi-million dollar deals. Viva La Fringe Players.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Abreu deal would force others
    White Sox would have to move Dye to make room

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Ken Williams has made perfectly clear the White Sox present payroll situation entering the 2009 season.

Simply put, any move made by the White Sox general manager would have to be a dollar-for-dollar sort of deal.

With that idea firmly in mind, the story in Tuesday's New York Daily News of the White Sox making free-agent outfielder Bobby Abreu a one-year, $8 million offer would not make much sense -- at least on paper. Add in the fact that the White Sox already have a right fielder in Jermaine Dye who was a bona fide Most Valuable Player candidate in 2008, not to mention an opening in center and not one of the two corner outfield slots, and it holds even less strength.

But the idea is far from completely implausible.

Abreu, who turns 35 on March 11, has the type of offensive approach favored by the White Sox. Prior to 2007, Abreu posted eight straight seasons with at least 100 walks. He has a career on-base percentage of .405, with eight of his nine seasons prior to 2007 featuring that particular statistic at .400 or above, and finished tied for third in the American League with 4.3 pitches per at-bat in 2008.

The power numbers have dipped a bit in the last two years for Abreu, with 36 home runs combined, but the White Sox already have plenty of home run potential in Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez and even Josh Fields. Abreu still produced 201 RBIs in those same two years and has had one year under 100 RBIs in the last eight. Abreu has scored at least 98 runs in each of the last 10 years, with eight of those seasons at 100 runs scored or more. His 318 career stolen bases, including 25 in 2007 and 22 in 2008, could make him a non-traditional sort of leadoff hitter, spoken of last week by Williams, if the White Sox reached an agreement with Abreu.

There really doesn't seem to be a thought of this signing, though, without a trade to follow, based on Williams' recent comments. Thome and Konerko both have full no-trade clauses, meaning Dye would be the only logical move, with Abreu taking over in right. Dye, who turned 35 on Jan. 28, spoke at SoxFest over the weekend concerning the plethora of offseason trade rumors attached to his name and seemed to be able to calmly put them all in the rearview mirror.

"It's just part of baseball," Dye said. "Any time your contract is coming up to the end, you are talked about in all kinds of trades. You learn to listen, read about it and move on."

Dye probably would command young pitching prospects in return, but the question arises as to why a team looking to trade for Dye wouldn't just sign Abreu. If Abreu's offers are in the one-year, $8 million range as reported, then their salary isn't much different with Dye set to earn $11.5 million in 2008. Dye has a $12 million mutual option for 2010, with a $1 million buyout.

A primary difference comes in the respective style of play for these two All-Star-caliber players, along with the side of the plate from which they hit. Abreu has more speed and apparent on-base potential, while Dye remains more of a slugger, with his 137 home runs since 2005 standing as the most by an AL outfielder, including 34 in 2008 and 44 in 2006.

Both can hit, play serviceable outfield defense and stand out as strong clubhouse presences.

All of this analysis is hypothetical, even factoring in Williams' response concerning the matter Tuesday afternoon.

"He is a great player and can help any club," said Williams via e-mail to MLB.com, not confirming or denying the Abreu offer, staying consistent with his offseason policy. "But I just have stopped responding to every blogger's post."

There is a strong bond of friendship existing between Abreu and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and his family. But that same bond existed for pitcher Freddy Garcia, along with a past history with the South Siders, and Garcia opted to sign for a greater potential incentive package presented by the Mets.

Ultimately, there might be a better deal out there for Abreu, who reportedly had hoped for a three-year, $45 offer when he first entered free agency. The strained economic climate has adjusted expectations for all parties involved.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...2008&fext=.jsp
    I miss Adam Dunn.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

A primary difference comes in the respective style of play for these two All-Star-caliber players, along with the side of the plate from which they hit. Abreu has more speed and apparent on-base potential, while Dye remains more of a slugger, with his 137 home runs since 2005 standing as the most by an AL outfielder, including 34 in 2008 and 44 in 2006.
    I know, I'm being picky, but what does it mean to have "apparent" on-base potential? Is he insinuating that Dye has on-base potential that statistics might not make apparent? Or that somehow Abreu's on-base skills are actually a mirage?

Sorry to be oversensitive about stuff like this. I just find it annoying.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

"but the question arises as to why a team looking to trade for Dye wouldn't just sign Abreu."

Only a totally dysfunctional franchise with no thread of common sense would make such a move. I'm very worried.

Abreu at 8-9 million per year is a steal. Think of the marginal players we signed, that we could have replaced through the minor leagues with very little drop-off, that would have amounted to 8-9 million dollars.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.- Stan Helsing

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Also the less talented Dye. Trading away Homer for Dye would be awful if you could pick up Abreu for about the same price.

I think it's all moot point though, the Reds aren't likely signing any multi-million dollar deals. Viva La Fringe Players.

Dye does get dissed around here. I take it you're not impressed with a player being an MVP candidate as this writer stated:

Add in the fact that the White Sox already have a right fielder in Jermaine Dye who was a bona fide Most Valuable Player candidate in 2008
    I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that Abreu would play for the Reds on a cheap one yr contract. I haven't heard that his Mamma lives here or anything and I don't see much else that would attract him to this market

At that point, though, it makes no sense not to offer Abreu as much as you'd have to pay Dye, if you were the team planning to trade for Dye. Unless you think Dye's worth the extra money plus whatever you're trading for him more than Abreu. And I don't see how you'd get there.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dye does get dissed around here.
    I've not seen that.

I've seen that the cost of acquiring him is too much for the Reds.

I mean, he's no Laynce Nix.

Maybe if his name was Jermayne Die...

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Dye does get dissed around here. I take it you're not impressed with a player being an MVP candidate as this writer stated:

Dye had 14 MVP votes in 08, exactly 0 of which were 1st place votes.

I wouldn't call him an "MVP candidate".
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?