Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Jacque Jones, Daryl Ward

Reds sign Jacque Jones, Daryl Ward

A news release from the Reds:

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the signing of free agents OF Jacque Jones and 1B/OF Daryle Ward to minor league contracts with invitations to Major League spring training camp.

Jones, 33, last season appeared in 42 games with Detroit and Florida.

In his career, Jones has played in in 21 playoff games, including both Division Series (2002-04, 2007) and the 2002 American League Championship Series. He has a 20 career leadoff homers and a .287 lifetime average with runners in scoring position.

Ward, 33, made 89 appearances last season for the Cubs.

His 11 pinch-hit homers ties him with Tony Clark for fourth-most among active Major Leaguers. Ward has made 11 career post-season appearances, all in the National League Division Series (1999, 2001, 2007, 2008). He is the son of 2-time AL All-Star Gary Ward.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Jacque Jones, Daryl Ward

Ward's last good season was ....

Oh wait he has never had a good season

Jones last 2 seasons were horrible, hope he was hurt and is now better

Actually, Ward has had some very good seasons as a sub. He'll bring great power off the bench. Nice pick up.

Jones is average in every sense of the word. Man, we love signing outfielders and putting them in storage.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Ward's last good season was ....

Oh wait he has never had a good season

Jones last 2 seasons were horrible, hope he was hurt and is now better
    This is sure a head-scratcher. But, I'm not complaining, at least they are bringing some warm bodies to camp and I used to really like Jones back in the day.

Basically these two probably will battle with Lance Nix for the LH 5th outfielder spot. I doubt both will make the team, maybe neither.

Jones had some good power, but was never was that good at getting on base. He did have a very good year with Dusty in 06, and he just had laser eye surgery this off season, so maybe he can come back. Not going to put any money on it. He can play all three outfield positions which is a plus.

Ward is a solid LH option off the bench, has some nice power as a pinch hitter. Basically he is a big upgrade over Javy as the LH off the bench.

As long as these are true minor league signings for near the league minimum if they make it, there is nothing wrong with them.

These signings simply provide more options this spring. If they do not make the big club, I suspect they will be released (early). I don't see any room for them on the Louisville roster where there are already a number of deserving, younger OF'ers vying for spots.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Daryl Ward is the POP guy off the bench as a PH the Reds wanted. Don't know how he'll ever start unless Votto has the day off (maybe 5 times all year) or Votto plays LF (probably won't happen).

And my God, I hope Jaque Jones can get Lance Nix off this team. Let Jones, who is actually pretty athletic and talented be the 5th OF on the team.

A bench comprised of guys like Jones, Ward, Hairston on certain days, Hanigan or Hernandez, Wilkin Castillo...... could cause some problems for teams playing us.

Thing is, both Ward and Jones are LH sticks. Kind of odd.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Daryl Ward is the POP guy off the bench as a PH the Reds wanted. Don't know how he'll ever start unless Votto has the day off (maybe 5 times all year) or Votto plays LF (probably won't happen).

And my God, I hope Jaque Jones can get Lance Nix off this team. Let Jones, who is actually pretty athletic and talented be the 5th OF on the team.

A bench comprised of guys like Jones, Ward, Hairston on certain days, Hanigan or Hernandez, Wilkin Castillo...... could cause some problems for teams playing us.

Thing is, both Ward and Jones are LH sticks. Kind of odd.
    The reds are pretty lopsided with a left-handed slant off the bench. Also, it's good to have some options when picking your bench in the spring.

These are great signings IMO. Ward adds pop and Jones adds depth in the outfield if they make the team. It sure beats Castro Abad and guys like that on the bench.

The first 2 moves/non moves of the season I don't like. Oh well, it's only a ST invite, so what could hurt?

Making the roster is a different animal. . .

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I do like giving Ward a shot, but Jacque Jones is Willy Taveras Lite, if you can even wrap your head around such a thing.

I like the moves as most do.Could make for a really good bench.The bad thing is that our starters in the OF are not much better then these guys(except Bruce of course).I just hope D Baker doesn't fall in love with one of these old vets.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Only thing I can't figure out is why Neifi Perez isn't here yet
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Yawner moves to me. Ho-hum.
    Who's on first?

Ward off the bench is cool, but I just hope Jones doesn't take time away from Dickerson if he makes the team.

Turn Off Ads?