Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Joe Tressey UC Defensive Coordinator Gone?

Porkchop Sandwiches

Joe Tressey UC Defensive Coordinator Gone?

Rumor has it he was let go by BK today. Change in scheme; BC type of conflict; butting heads? Odd since they have been together for so long and BK claims to value and stick up for his coaches. Is this an opportunity for Kerry Combs to be promoted, or is someone brought in from somewhere else?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe Tressey UC Defensive Coordinator Gone?

If there was a time to do it, it's now. We have some great assistants under him. We will have many new players on the defensive side. If we want to change the defensive schemes, it should be done with these new players.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I don't understand why BK fired Tressey. They've been together for years and years. What's next, BK fires Longo?
    Last edited by paintmered; 02-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I don't understand why BK fired Tressey. They've been together for years and years. What's next, BK fires Longo?
    Tresey and Kelly couldn't have been together that long. Tresey was hc at Middletown HS when I was in school. Then again, I am an old fart.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tresey and Kelly couldn't have been together that long. Tresey was hc at Middletown HS when I was in school. Then again, I am an old fart.
    I stand corrected. Turns out he's only been with Kelly since the 2006 season at Central Michigan.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Porkchop Sandwiches

from Koch's blog

The quote from Brian Kelly on the UC news release about Tresey reads, "Joe was an integral part of our Big East Championship in 2008 but we differ philosophically on where we want to go defensively in the future." One source told me today that UC would switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense next season. Whether that's true and whether that was behind the decision for Kelly and Tresey to part ways I don't know.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

A 3-4 scheme would seem to fit the mold of athlete Kelly is recruiting, more speed and instinct than size, and would create the possiblity of a deceptive and intelligent defense to match his offense. As much as it pains me to think this, could he have learned something from watching the Steelers?
    Last edited by DoogMinAmo; 02-09-2009 at 10:25 PM.

I hope Mike Elston gets the job. He was a co d coordinator at Central Michigan, and he has been absolutely awesome with the special teams.

More from BK:

"Joe did some great things for us on defence, but in the end that may have been his downfall. When an outsider thinks of Cincinnati football I want them to think offence and how many points we score."

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    More from BK:

"Joe did some great things for us on defence, but in the end that may have been his downfall. When an outsider thinks of Cincinnati football I want them to think offence and how many points we score."
    What?!?!?! link?

More from BK:

I highly doubt he said that.

More from BK:

Where was this from, a Canadian paper?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    I highly doubt he said that.
    Me, too. It looks like it came from The Onion or something. If he did say that, the town will go crazy, and people will lose respect for him forever. There's no way he seriously said that.

Turn Off Ads?