Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dad

Worth The Wait

New Dad

Just wanted to share the joyous news with all of friends at RZ. On Sunday, my wife gave birth to the most adorable little girl. My wife was amazing--she started havin contractions early Friday morning, but chose to go to work and go about her business anyway. On Saturday night, we even went to the movies and went out to eat Mexican food. By the time the check came, we knew something had to give--we headed to the hospital directly. The doctors and nurses were shocked that she was able to wait so long, but my wife expressed no interest in waiting around in a hospital bed.

She was admitted just before midnight, and by 7:06, we were parents! As so many of you know, this was an incredible, emotional, and memorable occasion.

Mom and baby are doing great...healthy and happy...we have tons of support from friends and family, which makes life so much easier---we are very fortunate.

Our only problem thus far has been our beloved dog, Vinny. He has NOT had a good reaction and he is currently at my in-laws-- he is loved and happy there, but we miss him of corse. But it looks like it may take a ton of time and patience to get him to accept our new family member. Ironically, his tense, nervous, loud, and semi-aggressive reaction have been 100 times more stressful than anything the baby has done. But if you knew Vinny, it probably wouldn't come as a surprise that he's being a bit dramatic

Anyway, starting to ramble....sleep deprivation will do that to you!Just wanted to share the news!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: New Dad

Ed, congratulations!!!

I'll be joining you here in about a month. we're due March 18.

I have to ask: did you predict 7:06?

Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations, Ed! I'm really happy for you.

For a Level Playing Field

Great news, Ed. Congratulations to you and your wife. Be very-very prepared to be wrapped around that little girl's pinkie finger for many years.

Yay, Ed! Good luck Dom!

Parenthood is quite the thing; abandon any preconceived notions you may have of it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Congratulations, Ed! Get used to the sleep deprivation.

With our third, my wife went out to play cards while having contractions. She came home later (after winning) and insisted she shower, shave her legs, and get her hair nice before heading to the hospital. She cut it close and went into transition labor on the drive down. She delivered 20 minutes after getting to the hospital. For a few minutes there, I thought she was going to deliver on the berm of I-71 S.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Congrats, Ed. I remember the feeling well and my first is going to be 26 in June.

Of course, you're planning on something Reds for her ensemble, right?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Baby girls are cheap... people love buying baby girl clothes.

teenage girls... someone wanna float me a loan?

Congrats Ed.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Congrats!

The journey begins. Before you know it, you'll be glaring at the boys who want to date her.

Fantastic news, Ed.

Congratulations!!!!

And I told you that goat of yours Vinnie was trouble.

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Worth The Wait

I'll be joining you here in about a month. we're due March 18.

I have to ask: did you predict 7:06?
    Congrats...be prepared for a wild ride the first few days! Hope all goes well.

No, didn't predict the time, but I did predict the date...February 16th. I was WAY off--- just keeping pace with my sports predictions I guess.

Of course, you're planning on something Reds for her ensemble, right?
    Haven't gotten anything for her yet, but I will. Does raising a baby to root for the Reds qualify for cruel and unusual punishment?

Baby girls are cheap... people love buying baby girl clothes.
    She already has more clothes than I do. I swear she has 50 pairs of socks already. For me, it's all about the ease of putting them on/taking them off. When dressing her, I always go for the easiest

The journey begins. Before you know it, you'll be glaring at the boys who want to date her.
    About a week before she arrived, we were at the mall, and I spent much of my time glaring at the grubby-looking bunch of pre-teens and teenagers holding hands, etc. with the girls. I hate them already. I can't wait to intimidate them!

And I told you that goat of yours Vinnie was trouble.
    It's funny--having a dog really isn't totally unlike having a baby--especially when it comes to the emotional stuff. He has been a pain in the rear for the majority of the 7 years we've had him, but he is also one of the most unique, loving, and sweet dogs you will ever meet. He is 9 years old and he's been the baby every step of the way. He has never dealt with change or "challenges" very well and this is a huge one. We aren't going to give up on him though-- if it means we can only stand to have him here for an hour at a time, then so be it. Eventually, he'll get the picture...I hope. And we're already prepared to potentially bring in a dog shrink if need be. Oh boy. But IMO, when you make that comittment to adopt a pet, you need to see it through all the way. He may be an old man before he "gets it," but he will.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I've always enjoyed getting to "know" the folks on RZ and am thrilled to share this news with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

Haven't gotten anything for her yet, but I will. Does raising a baby to root for the Reds qualify for cruel and unusual punishment?
    No, raising her to be a Cubs fan would.

Congrats, Ed!!!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Congrats, Ed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    She already has more clothes than I do. I swear she has 50 pairs of socks already. For me, it's all about the ease of putting them on/taking them off. When dressing her, I always go for the easiest
    You'll never have enough socks, onesies, and sleepers, especially as they start to outgrow sizes...I swear we get new sleepers every other week...they're just so easy to put them in that and just not have to worry about fancy clothes at the house...

Zippers > buttons...

And if your baby is in the top quartiles in size/weight, don't believe the ages on sizes...

My son is 75th percentile in height and 50th percentile in weight, is 1 year old, and wearing 2T clothes...

BTW, I know this is all brand new and all, and there's lots of day to day living to be done from here on; but I'm here to tell you that you're going to wake up one day and say to yourself, "Where on earth did the time go". You'll probably think this as you're taking her off to college. I'm kidding you not. I miss my kids being little, but the three of them, now 20 to almost 26, are really cool people (in my not so humble papa opinion).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?