Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds gear packed and headed south

Reds gear packed and headed south

Equipment on the way to Florida for Spring Training

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- With frigid temperatures and major snow storms having hit the region in back-to-back weeks, signs of spring are still hard to find in Cincinnati.

But look really hard and there is one symbolic indication that a season change is near. At a loading dock inside the bowels of Great American Ball Park, a freight truck is being loaded up for the annual trip to Spring Training.

Baseball season is nearly here again.

"Seeing that truck when it pulls out, we know the next eight months are baseball. It's go time," said Reds equipment manager Rick Stowe.

The Reds began packing the truck on Thursday and will keep loading items before it departs Monday for a 976 mile journey down Interstate 75 to the team's complex in Sarasota, Fla.

Any sporting goods or memorabilia store would kill to have the type of inventory the Reds will have on their truck. The following items are headed south:

• 200 helmets
    • 300 pairs of shorts
    • 400 pairs of socks
    • 500 hats
    • 300 jerseys
    • 200 fleece tops
    • 1,000 bats
    • 21,480 baseballs
    • 1,000 T-shirts
    • 100 pairs of batting gloves
    • 15 cases of gum
    • 15 cases of sunflower seeds
    • An entire skid of coolers and cups

On top of that, there will be items like rosin bags and pine tar, and the medical staff will be sending down all of its equipment. The front office will pack up computers and files and essentially move all of its operations to Florida for seven weeks.

Stowe began loading the truck for the Reds in 1981 and his father, senior clubhouse manager Bernie Stowe, did it often during his 60-plus years with the club.

"It's getting so much easier now," Rick Stowe said. "We remember the days when the truck would sit out there and we'd put a box on and do it all by hand. Here, we have the loading dock and everything. Throughout the winter, we get the pallets together -- about 18-20 skids -- shrink-wrap them, put them on a forklift and right into the truck. It took us an hour and a half where it once took us a week. We prepare all winter for it, though."

What's the weirdest item Stowe says he ever packed up?

"Deion Sanders' fishing boat," he replied. "The whole fishing boat went on there. That was different. That took up a lot of room. It was about 10 feet long."

While sending a truck to Spring Training has become routine, this trip is unique because it's the last time the Reds are sending their stuff to Florida. Next year the club will move its spring operations to Goodyear, Ariz., and share a complex with the Indians.

With the exception of a three-year period during World War II, the Reds have trained in Florida since 1923. The club has been in Sarasota since 1998, but could not work out a deal on a new or upgraded facility with the city and county to extend the stay.

"It's the only thing we've known," Stowe said of Florida. "It's the last time that truck will be heading south. Instead, it will be west. It's kind of sad, but as much as we're going to miss Sarasota, we're really looking forward to Arizona. That complex is supposed to be state-of-the art and outstanding. It will be great working conditions for all of us and make our lives easier."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Reds gear packed and headed south

100 pairs of batting gloves
    Wouldn't it be great if Willy Taveras nailed a pair of batting gloves to the wall in his bedroom every time he stole a base in 2009?

But how many shipments of wrist bands and toothpicks?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    But how many shipments of wrist bands and toothpicks?
    I received my personal shipment yesterday. I'm ready for spring training now.

OBM will be sporting his new Taveras jersey down there so he should be easy to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Equipment on the way to Florida for Spring Training
    WOOHOO
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Happy Truck Day, Reds fans.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Spring is edging even closer. This is one of my favorite times of the year.

Can I ask a stupid question? Why do they still have to do this? I mean, when you're ordering all the bats and gloves and sunflower seeds, why don't they order it to be delivered to Sarasota in the first place?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Can I ask a stupid question? Why do they still have to do this? I mean, when you're ordering all the bats and gloves and sunflower seeds, why don't they order it to be delivered to Sarasota in the first place?
    Now there is a rational, obvious question. Good job.

Gum? Sunflower seeds? Companies deliver these things everyday of the week, fresh, in the local market!

Good thought blumj.

Rem

BTW, I'm such a dork that I watched this video about 5 times.

http://fullcount.weei.com/

Remember going on long trips as a kid? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
    I'm like, is it spring yet? Pretty Pleeeaaase?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    A lot of the stuff is left over from the previous season. It isn't all new stuff. Also, they have to take the truck down their either way for office items (computers, files...). I believe it saves them some money to just ship one truck full than spend $10 per package of 6 bats or whatever and so forth. Also if they individually shipped everything that they put on that truck, it would take months just to make the shipping labels.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    A lot of the stuff is left over from the previous season. It isn't all new stuff. Also, they have to take the truck down their either way for office items (computers, files...). I believe it saves them some money to just ship one truck full than spend $10 per package of 6 bats or whatever and so forth. Also if they individually shipped everything that they put on that truck, it would take months just to make the shipping labels.
    Thanks. I knew there had to be a logical answer. Still kind of funny to be dragging sunflower seeds and chewing gum all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    If you want gum and sunflower seeds that are months old just leave them in the clubhouse in Cincinnati and use them in April. Have a local supplier deliver them in Sarasota for ST. They usually provide delivery in the cost of the product.

Rem
    Last edited by remdog; 02-11-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    If you want gum and sunflower seeds that are months old just leave them in the clubhouse in Cincinnati and use them in April. Have a local supplier deliver them in Sarasota for ST. They usually provide delivery in the cost of the product.

Rem

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    The stuff on the truck must be for the rookies...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?