Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445

Thread: 2009 MLB draft

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: 2009 MLB draft

The thing about White that concerns me is his K rate and BB rate have stayed the same since last year AND he has been hit harder. 10 HR's given up this year, opposed to 5 HR's last year.

Hopefully he's facing better competition, but I'm still not blown away with this pick. And if Crow or Matzek was available, I'm actually less than thrilled.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-09-2009 at 05:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I still dont think they pass on Crow unless his demands are even higher than last years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Matzek sounded like the real deal to me. Crow, well, remember last year all the talk about his mechanics? And some say he's not really a power pitcher.

As a high schooler, with the threat of college, Matzek might have high demands and I can see the Reds avoiding that. As between Crow and White, I'm not so sure it's clear cut.

When I first started to read about these guys, I thought White was well situated for the Reds because he throws a sinking fastball. Maybe another ground ball pitcher. Reds are developing quite a few of those.

And if White winds up a closer, keep in mind that Stewart was a closer who is winding up a starter. They are draft picks, a lot can happen.

I'd be ok with White.

Very well put.

While Crow and Matzek may rank higher on the draft board, I don't see how they are sure things, or so much higher that it's crazy to pick anyone else, especially when the money is factored in.

I have a feeling all teams are realizing that the draft is such a crap shoot, that unless the guy is really can't miss, or leagues better than any other option, it does not make sense to brake the bank to sign them.

I thinkthe Reds feel that since the talent difference between White and Crow/Maztek is not as great as the money difference, might as well draft the cheaper guy and spend the money on something of a more certain value. Remember that only around 65% of top 10 picks even make it to the majors.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Alex White probably is going to get more money than Aaron Crow. The Reds probably have White higher on their board than Crow. BA has White ranked #6 and Crow ranked #7, I'm just not understanding how picking White is going cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Alex White probably is going to get more money than Aaron Crow. The Reds probably have White higher on their board than Crow. BA has White ranked #6 and Crow ranked #7, I'm just not understanding how picking White is going cheap.
    That's a good point. This truly might not be a signability issue. Matzek, one might say, could have more physical potential, but being a high school pitcher and also having question-marks about his attitude might put him lower on the Reds' board. Though his money demands might be a factor, it might not be the main factor.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quick final pre-draft thoughts:

Leake and Scheppers are the two college pitchers I like best (now that Gibson's injured).

Bobby Borchering interests me quite a bit.

If you're going to draft a HS arm, let it be Tyler Matzek or Jacob Turner.

Yet my pick would be Grant Green if I were the Reds (or Donovan Tate if he drops).

Andrew Oliver would be my sleeper.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Grant Green would be my pick as well.

But its going to be Minor, imo.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?