Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 MLB draft

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: 2009 MLB draft

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I find it hard to believe that he is a 15-20 HR guy when he has all of 3 HR this season with an aluminum bat. I just don't see it. He has a very aggressive plate approach and very little power to speak of. Shortstop or not, thats not the kind of bat I think is worth taking inside the top 15 of the draft. He goes through stretches where he just looks lost at the plate and I just can't buy into the power.
    Fair enough. Do you see any scenario in which he would be the best choice at #8? And what would that scenario be?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree a hitting machine in CF sign me up.
    But, but....we've already got Taveras?
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Fair enough. Do you see any scenario in which he would be the best choice at #8? And what would that scenario be?
    I don't see a scenario where that would happen. I wouldn't take him inside the top 15. Maybe thats just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Crow's mechanics are dreadful. With that said, I'm not opposed to picking him as long as he throws at least 500 quality innings at the Major League level (with an ERA less than 4.00). At that point, I think you've made a $10mm signing bonus worth it.
    $10MM? I'd offer him slot money and the Walmart article on Matt Harrington and wait for the phone to ring. I would potentially email him the articles on how next year's draft is projected to be better than this year's. He'll sign.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    $10MM? I'd offer him slot money and the Walmart article on Matt Harrington and wait for the phone to ring. I would potentially email him the articles on how next year's draft is projected to be better than this year's. He'll sign.
    Agreed. Crow has very little bargaining power this year IMO. If he doesn't sign this time, he's headed down a very dangerous path.
    Go BLUE!!!

BA chat from today:

Ben (Centerville, OH): Who is the best fit for the Reds with their first round pick in the upcoming June draft, whom do you see available, and whom do you think they will take? My money is on one of Tyler Matzek, Matt Purke, or Shelby Miller?.

Jim Callis: (2:01 PM ET ) I think the Reds almost certainly will take a pitcher, as there aren't a lot of bats worthy of going in the Top 10 this year. And with the arms, teams usually grab the top college pitchers first, so you may be right. I projected indy leaguer Aaron Crow in our first mock draft—we have tons of draft info available at baseballamerica.com, so go check that out. Purke's signability is a bit worrisome, but I could see the Reds taking Matzek or Miller.

And an additional question from the same chat:

Dave (DC): Devin Mesoraco. Bust?

Jim Callis: (2:53 PM ET ) Sure looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And an additional question from the same chat:
    And yet there he is in Sarasota hitting just fine right now.

May numbers look good with an .801 OPS. April was rough, May has been fine. Silly statement to make at this point in time.

And yet there he is in Sarasota hitting just fine right now.

May numbers look good with an .801 OPS. April was rough, May has been fine. Silly statement to make at this point in time.
    He can't catch, making the whole matter of whether he'll ever hit enough for a catcher a moot point (not that there's any real question about that either).
    Last edited by M2; 05-20-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He can't catch, making the whole matter of whether he'll ever hit enough for a catcher a moot point (not that there's any real question about that either).
    How many times have you seen him play? How many times this year? And yeah, because a guy can't learn to catch who has athleticism... thats why guys can't ever transition to the position. To suggest someone at the age of 20 can never figure out how to become a better catcher (oh, and he has gotten much better since he was drafted) is just silly.

How many times have you seen him play? How many times this year? And yeah, because a guy can't learn to catch who has athleticism... thats why guys can't ever transition to the position. To suggest someone at the age of 20 can never figure out how to become a better catcher (oh, and he has gotten much better since he was drafted) is just silly.
    No, it's just reality. It's not like he's some recent catcher conversion who's got athleticism to burn. Mesoraco has been a catcher for much of his life and he's not very good at it. He's been a consistently poor player for two years and at this point it's highly unlikely he's got any kind of meaningful major league future.

Could anything happen? No, not really. Most players who are as far behind as Mesoraco (he turns 21 next month) don't catch up. You can pretend otherwise (you almost surely will), but it looks like his future will be as an organizational player.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No, it's just reality. It's not like he's some recent catcher conversion who's got athleticism to burn. Mesoraco has been a catcher for much of his life and he's not very good at it. He's been a consistently poor player for two years and at this point it's highly unlikely he's got any kind of meaningful major league future.

Could anything happen? No, not really. Most players who are as far behind as Mesoraco (he turns 21 next month) don't catch up. You can pretend otherwise (you almost surely will), but it looks like his future will be as an organizational player.
    I think you are being a little too tough on Mesoraco. Catchers take forever to develop. If he is ready by spring 2012 he will be doing fine. He has the tools. He needs time, and repetition.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I have watched DM play about 25 times in his span with us....the kid is not gonna make this team IMO, I do however think he still has tons of time to figure it out and turn his downside into an upside. I would still rate him as a above average prospect due to the fact that he is still young. I see him as a player like Keppinger.....he will eventually figure out how to fight his way through a decent batting average and he will learn how to control young pitchers....he will have value, I just think his value wont be high untill he is older, and at that point you might as well keep in in the minors to help young pitching. Just my opinion folks.

2009 Amateur Draft Mock #6 Round One
    Andy Seiler/Minor League Ball

1. Washington - Steven Strasburg, RHP, San Diego State - The only question is how quickly he'll sign and for how much money. Previously: #1.

2. Seattle - Dustin Ackley, OF, North Carolina - I think this is really starting to become a sure thing. Ackley's a legit hitter with the growing ability to man center field. If his arm holds up, there's nothing holding him back from becoming a star player. Previously: #2.

3. San Diego - Aaron Crow, RHP, Ft. Worth Cats - Jason Churchill says the Padres like Donavan Tate, Grant Green, Kyle Gibson, and Crow. Crow's starting to heat up with another nice outing, and I think he pitches himself into this spot. Previously: #4.

4. Pittsburgh - Jacob Turner, RHP, Westminster Christian Academy (MO) - The bonus demands and commitment don't scare teams away when your performance is top-notch. Turner's pushed himself into the top ten, and this pick makes good sense. Previously: #28.

5. Baltimore - Alex White, RHP, North Carolina - Despite a mediocre performance last weekend, White's still one of the best options in the draft. Baltimore's done well with its recent college picks, and White's got legitimate upside. Previously: #8.

6. San Francisco - Tyler Matzek, LHP, Capistrano Valley HS (CA) - Matzek's still the best prep lefty, and I think the Giants will be picking between him and Zack Wheeler. Matzek's done well enough to keep his spot above Wheeler, making him the pick. Previously: #5.

7. Atlanta - Zack Wheeler, RHP, East Paulding HS (GA) - Wheeler has continued his stretch of dominance, probably solidifying a top ten spot. If he's available to the Braves, I think there's no way he lasts to the eighth spot. Previously: #7.

8. Cincinnati - Tanner Scheppers, RHP, St. Paul Saints - Scheppers and Crow are considered unknown wildcards in terms of draft stock in this draft. I don't think either gets past the tenth pick, and Scheppers is probably a favorite of the Reds. Previously: #3.

9. Detroit - Grant Green, SS, USC - Another Churchill tidbit says that teams don't expect Green to last past the Tigers. Yes, they're in need of middle infield help both in the Majors and on the farm, but I just wonder how much money he'll need. Previously: #15.

10. Washington - Kyle Gibson, RHP, Missouri - In a bit of a surprise, Kyle Gibson slid to the tenth slot in my mock this week. I don't think the Nationals would choose Chad Jenkins or others over Gibson, and they'll spend the money. Previously: #6.
    2009 Redszone MLB Mock Draft

1st Round - Steven Strasburg

1st Round - Matt Purke

2nd Round - Brett Jackson

3rd Round - Kent Matthes

Can we just put Scheppers on the "do not draft board" please. at least not w/n the top 10, shoulders injuries scare me.

Turn Off Ads?