Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 MLB draft

Re: 2009 MLB draft

Please accept my humble apology for asking what was apparently a trivial and stupid question before. I admit that I could have been more clear about what I was asking but I was simply curious if anyone knew how many sandwich picks there are (counting all teams) and rough estimations of where our sandwich pick and 2nd round pick would fall overall. I only asked here cuz I wasn't sure what site would tell me without my having to pay for a subsciption. Yes I have checked a few places. I may have overlooked what I was looking for but I did check. Anyway, thanks for the response.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Below is the current draft order, and the list of unsigned compensation free agents.

First-Round Picks
    1. Nationals
    2. Mariners
    3. Padres
    4. Pirates
    5. Orioles
    6. Giants
    7. Braves
    8. Reds
    9. Tigers
    10. Nationals (for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Aaron Crow)
    11. Rockies
    12. Royals
    13. Athletics
    14. Rangers
    15. Indians
    16. Diamondbacks
    17. Dodgers
    18. Marlins
    19. Cardinals
    20. Blue Jays
    21. Mariners (if they fail to sign 2008 first-rounder Joshua Fields)
    22. Astros
    23. Twins
    24. White Sox
    25. Angels (from Mets for Francisco Rodriguez, A)
    26. Angels (from Yankees for Mark Teixeira, A)
    27. Brewers
    28. Mariners (from Phillies for Raul Ibanez, A)
    29. Yankees (for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Gerrit Cole)
    30. Red Sox
    31. Rays
    32. Cubs
    33. Rockies (from Angels for Brian Fuentes, A)
    Supplemental First-Round Picks
    34. Mariners (Ibanez)
    35. Rockies (Fuentes)
    36. Dodgers (Derek Lowe, A, to Braves)
    37. Blue Jays (A.J. Burnett, A, to Yankees)
    38. Brewers (C.C. Sabathia, A, to Yankees)
    39. Angels (Teixeira)
    40. Angels (Rodriguez)
    41. Reds (Jeremy Affeldt, B, to Giants)
    42. Rangers (Milton Bradley, B, to Cubs)
    43. Diamondbacks (Brandon Lyon, B, to Tigers)
    44. Brewers (Brian Shouse, B, to Rays)
    45. Angels (Jon Garland, B, to Diamondbacks)
    Second-Round Changes
    49. Pirates (for failure to sign 2008 second-rounder Tanner Scheppers)
    53. Dodgers (from Braves for Lowe)
    70. Brewers (from Yankees for Sabathia)
    Third-Round Changes
    76. Yankees (for failure to sign 2008 second-rounder Scott Bittle)
    101. Blue Jays (from Yankees for Burnett)
    Supplemental Third-Round Picks
    108. Astros (for failure to sign 2008 third-rounder Chase Davidson)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    Ari: Juan Cruz (A), Orlando Hudson (A).
    Bos: Paul Byrd (B).
    CWS: Orlando Cabrera (A).
    KC: Mark Grudzielanek (B).
    LAD: Manny Ramirez (A).
    Mil: Ben Sheets (A).
    Min: Dennys Reyes (B).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267521.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Thanks OBM. I appreciate it. Since Joshua Fields signed this week I'll assume that pick doesn't exist anymore and the picks after essentially move up one spot .
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Baseball America has new stuff out today related to the 2009 draft including the top 100 college and high school prospects.

The Reds hold the number eight overall pick in the draft and they also have a supplemental first-round pick somewhere between #41-50. With the #8 overall pick, I'm quite intrigued by the plethora of college pitching. The top two talents are Stephen Strasburg (RHP) and Grant Green (SS) and both figure to go 1-2. After them, Alex White and Kyle Gibson interest me the most. White will most likely be gone by the time the Reds pick, but Gibson should still be around. He's already got great stuff but some say he's got the most projection left of any college starter. His lanky frame should allow him to fill out and add another 2-3 mph to his already plus velocity.

The top high school talents are Donovan Tate (CF) and the two left handed starters Tyler Matzek and Matt Purke. I prefer Gibson to the HS lefties, but if the top college arms are off the board then I'd consider Matzek or Purke. Tate is very intriguing. He's a 5-tool center fielder with big potential. I'd love to have him but he's a Georgia boy and the Braves own the #7 pick. Expect this to be similar to 2007 when the Braves picked one spot ahead of the Reds and grabbed Georgian Jason Heyward.

A kid I'm hoping will be around when the Reds pick in the supplemental round is Jiovanni Mier, a high school shortstop from California. He's rated as the best defensive high school shortstop in the draft and he's got the tools to be a good hitter. I'd be thrilled if the Reds could come away with a Kyle Gibson/Alex White/Donovan Tate at #8 and then Jiovanni Mier in the supplemental round.

I got to watch Gibson last year with Team USA, great guy-was very easy to talk with, good with fans (he signed every auto with a biblical verse). He also had good stuff-as you said, lot already there, but also great potential it seemed. Donoavn Tate just signed 2 weeks ago to play football at UNC (great QB recruit, but bb is def his future), and will play baseball here as well if he makes it to campus, so I am hoping for that.

How does it play out in 2010 if the Nationals don't sign the #10 pick this year?

They lose that pick if they don't sign the guy this year
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-17-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

Here's the updated order:

First-Round Picks
    1. Nationals
    2. Mariners
    3. Padres
    4. Pirates
    5. Orioles
    6. Giants
    7. Braves
    8. Reds
    9. Tigers
    10. Nationals (for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Aaron Crow)
    11. Rockies
    12. Royals
    13. Athletics
    14. Rangers
    15. Indians
    16. Diamondbacks
    17. Dodgers
    18. Marlins
    19. Cardinals
    20. Blue Jays
    21. Astros
    22. Twins
    23. White Sox
    24. Angels (from Mets for Francisco Rodriguez, A)
    25. Angels (from Yankees for Mark Teixeira, A)
    26. Brewers
    27. Mariners (from Phillies for Raul Ibanez, A)
    28. Yankees (for failure to sign 2008 first-rounder Gerrit Cole)
    29. Red Sox
    30. Rays
    31. Cubs
    32. Rockies (from Angels for Brian Fuentes, A)
    Supplemental First-Round Picks
    33. Mariners (Ibanez)
    34. Rockies (Fuentes)
    35. Dodgers (Derek Lowe, A, to Braves)
    36. Blue Jays (A.J. Burnett, A, to Yankees)
    37. Brewers (C.C. Sabathia, A, to Yankees)
    38. Angels (Teixeira)
    39. Angels (Rodriguez)
    40. Reds (Jeremy Affeldt, B, to Giants)
    41. Rangers (Milton Bradley, B, to Cubs)
    42. Diamondbacks (Brandon Lyon, B, to Tigers)
    43. Brewers (Brian Shouse, B, to Rays)
    44. Angels (Jon Garland, B, to Diamondbacks)
    Second-Round Changes
    49. Pirates (for failure to sign 2008 second-rounder Tanner Scheppers)
    52. Dodgers (from Braves for Lowe)
    69. Brewers (from Yankees for Sabathia)
    Third-Round Changes
    76. Yankees (for failure to sign 2008 second-rounder Scott Bittle)
    100. Blue Jays (from Yankees for Burnett)
    Supplemental Third-Round Picks
    107. Astros (for failure to sign 2008 third-rounder Chase Davidson)
    Remaining Compensation Free Agents
    Ari: Juan Cruz (A), Orlando Hudson (A).
    Bos: Paul Byrd (B).
    CWS: Orlando Cabrera (A).
    KC: Mark Grudzielanek (B).
    LAD: Manny Ramirez (A).
    Mil: Ben Sheets (A).
    Min: Dennys Reyes (B).

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267624.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Strike Three: Golden Spikes Spotlight on Kyle Gibson

For the second straight week, Missouri junior righthander Kyle Gibson dazzled in a complete-game win against a top-five opponent. The first-team preseason All-American spun his first career shutout last week at Texas, then found a way to top himself this week, racking up a career-high 16 strikeouts in a 3-2 win against Texas A&M on Friday.

"He was phenomenal and took it to another level," Tigers coach Tim Jamieson said. "Each time out he just gets a little bit better. In the ninth inning, he came out and was just on a mission. Heís really, really good."

Gibson retired the first 10 batters he faced and 18 of the first 19. He allowed two runs on five hits and a walk and finished with 117 pitches. Gibson has struck out 40 over his last three starts and is now 4-1, 1.15 with a 54-9 strikeout-walk ratio in 39 innings on the season. His plus slider continues to be a strikeout pitch, but itís not the only way heís been able to miss bats this year.

"The biggest difference between him this year and last year is his fastball command, and his ability to use that as a strikeout pitch," Jamieson said. "Trevor Coleman said his fastball is almost uncatchable, itís moving so much. The hittersí timing is OK, but the ball moves away from their bats at the last second."

Gibsonís complete game allowed Missouri to employ a pitcher-by-committee approach Saturday. The Tigers used nine different pitchers for an inning apiece in a 6-2 win to clinch the series.

"Weíve been doing it in the middle of the week," Jamieson said. "We did it against Arizona State our fifth game of the year. We did it then because we had played four games that weekend and we didnít really have a fifth starter. This was the fourth or fifth time weíve done it. We just felt like the strength of the staff, weíve got two really good starters in Gibson and (sophomore righty Nick) Tepesch, then a bunch of guys who can throw strikes and come after you for an inning. I donít know if it will be a staple, but it will be for a while. As long as theyíre throwing strikes, itís a good formula.

"Another key to that is Gibson on Friday night. If he had only given us four or five innings, that would have changed our plan."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=982

I'm hoping Gibson is still around at #8 but if he keeps this up he may go in the top five.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Baseball America draft tracker chart:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267838.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Anyone have an update on Justin Grimm? He isn't draft eligible until next year but apparently he was extremely impressive this weekend for UGA. He apparently hit 102 twice on the stadium gun while getting 9 Ks in 6 innings.

If Austin Maddox drops through the first round to the Reds in the supplimental or the second, I'm one happy guy. At #8, no way does Gibson get there.

Right now, the order looks to be:
    1. Washington-- Strasburg
    Even if the ridiculous salary demands are true, he's the top arm (and prospect) since Prior and a legitimate ace-level guy as early as 2011 for a team that desperately needs one.

2. Mariners-- Dustin Ackley, CF
    Having Triunfel in the fold means Grant Green (USC SS) goes on. M's new emphasis on numbers may mean they focus more on results and less on physique. If so, Ackley makes sense. But only if he can play CF, not as a first baseman. Tough call here. May choose to go with Gibson, as he's put up great numbers, but that obp, IMO, will turn heads.

3. Padres-- Grant Green, SS
    Desperately need offense at the major league level and has absolutely no SS with any chance to become decent in the system. Easiest call in the draft.

4. Pirates-- Kyle Gibson
    Could go Donavan Tate, but settle for second-best arm in the draft. Not bad, in that he can dial it up to mid 90's with outstanding K rates.

5. Orioles-- Donavan Tate, OF
    Questions about signability, but O's would love to pair Tate with current major leaguers Jones and Markakis to form an incredible OF in about five years. True 5-tool talent.

6. Giants-- Tyler Matzek, LHSP (HS)
    Need offense in the worst way and pitching staff is both solid and fairly young. Can't use a catcher, as Posey looks nice thus far (and was paid extraordinarily), though, and no one else projects this high with the bat.

7. Braves-- Shelby Miller
    Wanted Matsek, but will settle for the next great Texas fireballer. May flame out, may become a HOF. With Bravo track record, bet the latter.

8. Reds-- Alex White
    Could go with HS catcher, but there are enough of them, at this point, that you could grab a great one either in Round Two or the Supplimental. Don't need a corner guy or an OF. (No Kentrail Davis is a good thing, IMO, as he's the likely early round bust.) White hasn't been as good as last year, but it's still early. Not a bad choice, but not exactly sexy either.

Of course, this could change rather quickly as the year progresses.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Ben (Centerville, OH): Grant Green has been somewhat underwhelming so far, any chance a slow start could have him some how fall to the Reds at #7 in teh June draft?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:10 PM ET ) He has been somewhat overwhelming, and there's no clear No. 2 pick right now behind Strasburg. I think Green could fall to No. 7, based on a combination of his performance thus far and the fact that he's represented by the Scott Boras Corp. and won't just sign for slot. Will the Reds give out a big league deal to get him at No. 7 after having to do so for Alonso last year? We'll see.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...09/267839.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

No chance I would sign Grant Green to a MLB deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No chance I would sign Grant Green to a MLB deal.
    I would, but I just don't see him falling to the Reds at #8. I think he goes in the top three picks.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I would, but I just don't see him falling to the Reds at #8. I think he goes in the top three picks.
    Why would you give him a major league deal? There are some legit concerns with his bat.

Turn Off Ads?