Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Here are the Bengals free agents, at first glance just about all our LBs need to be resigned

http://www.bengals.com/team/Roster.asp

Code:
    Unrestricted Free Agent
    * Rookie
    Player Name 	# 	Pos 	HT 	WT 	College 	Exp 	Birth Date
    Andrews, Stacy 	79 	T 	6-7 	342 	Mississippi 	6 	6/2/1981
    Benson, Cedric 	32 	RB 	5-11 	220 	Texas 	5 	12/28/1982
    Blackstock, Darryl 	56 	LB/DE 	6-3 	255 	Virginia 	5 	5/30/1983
    Crocker, Chris 	42 	S 	5-11 	200 	Marshall 	7 	3/9/1980
    Fitzpatrick, Ryan 	11 	QB 	6-2 	225 	Harvard 	5 	11/24/1982
    Fletcher, Jamar 	25 	CB 	5-10 	185 	Wisconsin 	9 	8/28/1979
    Ghiaciuc, Eric 	53 	C 	6-4 	303 	Central Michigan 	5 	5/28/1981
    Graham, Shayne 	17 	K 	6-0 	205 	Virginia Tech 	9 	12/9/1977
    Houshmandzadeh, T.J. 	84 	WR 	6-1 	199 	Oregon State 	9 	9/26/1977
    Thornton, John 	97 	DT 	6-3 	297 	West Virginia 	11 	10/2/1976

Restricted Free Agent
    * Rookie
    Busing, John 	40 	S 	6-2 	221 	Miami (OH) 	4 	9/1/1983
    Dorsey, DeDe 	27 	RB 	5-11 	203 	Lindenwood 	4 	8/1/1984
    Holt, Glenn 	16 	WR 	6-1 	193 	Kentucky 	4 	7/31/1984
    Jeanty, Rashad 	93 	LB 	6-2 	245 	Central Florida 	4 	4/17/1983
    Johnson, Brandon 	59 	LB 	6-5 	245 	Louisville 	4 	4/5/1983
    Mays, Corey 	51 	LB 	6-1 	245 	Notre Dame 	4 	11/27/1983

Unsigned Player (Bengals have exclusive rights)
    * Rookie
    Coats, Daniel 	49 	FB/TE 	6-3 	264 	Brigham Young 	3 	4/16/1984
    Harris, Orien 	95 	DT 	6-3 	300 	Miami (FL) 	2 	6/3/1983
    I know this sounds nuts, but would you resign Thornton and put him at DE for a super discount contract???

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Thornton as a backup would be fine with me.

Anyone think Ryan Fitzgerald gets resigned? Will be interesting to see what they do with their backup QB position.

I really hope they can get Chris Crocker resigned, he seemed like a good fit. And Shayne Graham too. He might be pricey for a kicker, but the last thing I want to see is the Benagls waste time starting over with the kicking game.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Daugherty said that the Bengals are about 28 Million under the cap right now.

This is different than in earlier years where they never had cap room, the only remaining big contracts are Palmer, Johnson, Odom, Geathers, Levi Jones, and recent first round draft choices. IIRC, only Palmer, Johnson, and Odom have large cap numbers.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I actually think the Bengals will sign some free agents this year to fill holes. I wouldn't expect anything earth shattering, but Kevin Hardy / Tory James types circa 2003, sure.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Thornton as a backup would be fine with me.

Anyone think Ryan Fitzgerald gets resigned? Will be interesting to see what they do with their backup QB position.

I really hope they can get Chris Crocker resigned, he seemed like a good fit. And Shayne Graham too. He might be pricey for a kicker, but the last thing I want to see is the Benagls waste time starting over with the kicking game.
    Thornton being a backup is fine with me as well. I just hope the Bengals sign some more guys so he never has to start.

I hope Crocker comes back as well. With him, Ndukwe, and White the Bengals have some decent safeties.

Graham is as good as gone. He's going to Florida.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I think beyond TJ and Graham Brandon Johnson is an semi-important re-sign, he had a really good season. Crocker and Benson played well but I'd be careful with what you commit to them. It sounds like they are talking to Andrews people afterall which is a bit surprising.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I wonder how much more cap room the Bengals could free up by cutting Chris Perry and a couple others. Does anyone happen to know a site where I could find information like that?

Sorry, I want John Thornton far, far away from the Bungles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I wonder how much more cap room the Bengals could free up by cutting Chris Perry and a couple others. Does anyone happen to know a site where I could find information like that?
    I used this last season some it's pretty sweet, however it appears the guy running the page hasn't updated it for quite some time. But it does have a virtual GM feature on it. Maybe if you emailed the guy running the site he could help. FWIW though I believe Perry's contract runs through '09 and at a base salary of 1 million, so it probably ain't gonna hurt us none to cut him and might save a few hundred thousand. It's a no brainer obviously.

His e-mail Phatcat@whodeymail.com

The site:
    Bengals Cap
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 02-08-2009 at 03:00 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

They should forget Andrews...that guy does not want to be here and plays like it.

They should go get a Center with good credentials....a leader who will not be pushed around. A good backup QB who actually can pass the ball downfield.

Depth on the OL.......and WR's can be had for a good price and give you a 1,000 yard season...productive seasons without breaking the cap.

Drafting more WR's who cannot come in and play now...and even Chad and Pickens took about a year or 2....to do anything....will not help at all.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

My first round wish list:
    OT-Michael Oher
    OT-Andre Smith
    DT-BJ Raji
    DE-Brian Orapko

Second round:
    A center.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Daugherty said that the Bengals are about 28 Million under the cap right now.

This is different than in earlier years where they never had cap room, the only remaining big contracts are Palmer, Johnson, Odom, Geathers, Levi Jones, and recent first round draft choices. IIRC, only Palmer, Johnson, and Odom have large cap numbers.
    Actually, I think they've had cap room in the past. It's just that they tend to do something unwise with the cap room, like tear up Chad Johnson's contract and give him an extension with another big signing bonus. Mike Brown operates under a "let's take care of our own" mentality that invariably results in using up excess cap space in writing new contracts for players already on the team rather than going out and signing free agents who would help fill some holes.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Actually, I think they've had cap room in the past. It's just that they tend to do something unwise with the cap room, like tear up Chad Johnson's contract and give him an extension with another big signing bonus. Mike Brown operates under a "let's take care of our own" mentality that invariably results in using up excess cap space in writing new contracts for players already on the team rather than going out and signing free agents who would help fill some holes.
    Graham, TJ, Benson, and Andrews are the only real candidates to be brought back. Graham will make Top 5-10 money at his position, TJ will take top 5 money, Benson will veteran compensation at his position which is a couple million, who knows on Andrews, plus draft pick pay. The potential for them to use up much of the money on their own is there. I just don't see it happening.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Graham, TJ, Benson, and Andrews are the only real candidates to be brought back. Graham will make Top 5-10 money at his position, TJ will take top 5 money, Benson will veteran compensation at his position which is a couple million, who knows on Andrews, plus draft pick pay. The potential for them to use up much of the money on their own is there. I just don't see it happening.
    They don't necessarily need to be players whose contracts are up for MB to resign them. He redid CJ's contract a few times well before it was time.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Teams are beginning to lop off heads heading into free agency, dont be surprised if the Bengals dont cut Levi or some other dead weight.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

Turn Off Ads?