Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Re: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

time for a change, he was horrible and doesnt belong in the NFL
    Absolutely correct. I'm not sure this guy from Washington is the answer, either. It's a start
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ocho Stupido is on the trading Block

per rotoworld

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Hea...=NFL&hl=139132

I dont think Mikey boy will pull the trigger, because that would require a thought process
    If Chad goes, we have to franchise TJ. Palmer needs to be real comfortable w/ his receivers. He needs that precision timing. If both of them go, It'll take a while for him to adjust.

I know that TJ will hate to be franchised, but, what are the choices really.

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    If Chad goes, we have to franchise TJ. Palmer needs to be real comfortable w/ his receivers. He needs that precision timing. If both of them go, It'll take a while for him to adjust.

I know that TJ will hate to be franchised, but, what are the choices really.
    I don't know how true that is, because Palmer hasn't played with them, for any length of time since 2007. They weren't on the same page in the few games they played together in 2008. Chad and TJ both skipped offseason workouts last year, and were "injured" during training camp. They are not a "precision" Rolex. At this point they look like a Rolex that was left in traffic and run over a few times, expensive, broken, and creaky.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I don't know how true that is, because Palmer hasn't played with them, for any length of time since 2007. They weren't on the same page in the few games they played together in 2008. Chad and TJ both skipped offseason workouts last year, and were "injured" during training camp. They are not a "precision" Rolex. At this point they look like a Rolex that was left in traffic and run over a few times, expensive, broken, and creaky.
    That's my point; Palmer needs that familiarity. In the last seasons (some in '06, some of '07, all of '08) they weren't on same page. When that was the case, Palmer struggled.

I just think that we have a better chance for him to sync up with them than if we try to use all new wideouts and bring them up to speed. He has a better chance of getting back the chemistry with guys he knows (and extremely successful with) than starting over, IMO.

We have to face it that one or the other will be gone. It'll be a disaster if both of them are not there. We will have zippo in experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    That's my point; Palmer needs that familiarity. In the last seasons (some in '06, some of '07, all of '08) they weren't on same page. When that was the case, Palmer struggled.

I just think that we have a better chance for him to sync up with them than if we try to use all new wideouts and bring them up to speed. He has a better chance of getting back the chemistry with guys he knows (and extremely successful with) than starting over, IMO.

We have to face it that one or the other will be gone. It'll be a disaster if both of them are not there. We will have zippo in experience.
    The question you need to ask: Would the Steelers bring them back?

Do the Steelers make a habit of paying 30 somethings big bucks? Should the current Bengals team?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The question you need to ask: Would the Steelers bring them back?

Do the Steelers make a habit of paying 30 somethings big bucks? Should the current Bengals team?
    Until they have guys ready to step in I'd say yes on a player by player basis. TJ right now is an important cog. The last thing we need is Palmer throwing the ball to Henry, Caldwell and Simpson in '09. '10 might be realistic however.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Until they have guys ready to step in I'd say yes on a player by player basis. TJ right now is an important cog. The last thing we need is Palmer throwing the ball to Henry, Caldwell and Simpson in '09. '10 might be realistic however.
    you honestly think Mike brown is going to give TJ 30-40 million for 3-4 years, I was be stunned, theyre going to let him walk and I can see them signing some second tier free agent that they can get cheaper like a Nate Washington in the 4-5 million range.

I agree with P-Doc's column.

A lot of Marvin's credibility when he came was gained by letting Takeo Spikes go. If you don't want to be hear, don't let the door hit you on the way out. People thought we'd never replace his playmaking, and Kevin Hardy was a poor answer, but I say let Chad go, I say let TJ go.

You let those two go, you'll have greater credibility to focus on improving the rest of the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Well, the Bengals franchised Shayne Graham today. I can't decide if that is some sort of shrewd move, or just more idiotic nonsense from Mikey and Katie.

Mike Brown, you make me do this:
    ............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:”........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Well, the Bengals franchised Shayne Graham today. I can't decide if that is some sort of shrewd move, or just more idiotic nonsense from Mikey and Katie.
    Hmm, judging from this piece moving forward just became reality. Buh-bye TJ!

Bengals opt for Graham
    By GEOFF HOBSON
    February 16, 2009

Updated: 4 p.m.
    The Bengals' first major move of the offseason Monday all but guaranteed kicker Shayne Graham's services for the 2009 season and wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh's entry into free agency.

When he heard that the Bengals had given Graham the franchise tag, Houshmandzadeh jacked the odds at him playing elsewhere in 2009 to "99.2 percent."

Graham told the Bengals public relations department he had no comment.

Graham
    In Houshmandzadeh and Graham, the Bengals are looking at their two most consistent players of the last five seasons. Graham, who became the Bengals' first Pro Bowl kicker in 2005, has a slew of Bengals' records while moving into second on the all-time scoring list with 682 points, behind only Jim Breech's 1,151.

In franchising Graham, the Bengals had to tender him a one-year deal worth nearly $2.5 million and drop the idea for franchising Houshmandzadeh at $9.88 million.

For the second time in five years the Bengals have decided to give Graham a number worthy of one of the top five kickers in the league. The $2.5 million is the average of the current top five kicking salaries. When the Bengals matched Jacksonville's five-year, $6.5 million offer to Graham during restricted free agency in March of 2004, the $1.3 million average was also top five range.

Graham is coming off an 87.5 percent season on field goals (21-for-24) that mirrors his Bengals' all-time best 87.5 percent (154-for-176) for his career in Cincinnati.

Graham is permitted to talk to other teams when free agency starts. But the Bengals can match the offer. If they decline, that club would have to give the Bengals its first-round choices in the 2009 and 2010 NFL Drafts.

If Graham signs the one-year offer, the $2.48 million tag is guaranteed and he and the Bengals are still permitted to agree on an extension before July 15.

Houshmandzadeh said he would consider the Bengals if they offer him "a fair deal," once free agency opens. But he has said in the past that going by history that hasn't happened yet.

"I didn't go to the last two voluntary workouts because I felt like I was underpaid compared to what my peers were getting," said Houshmandzadeh, who signed a four-year deal for roughly $3 million per year before the 2005 season.

As early as the first 15 minutes of the offseason Houshmandzadeh said he would defy the tag and not report to the Bengals for the offseason workouts, which he also didn't do last season with a year left on the deal. When he went on national radio last week to shop his wares, it became clear the Bengals were in a longshot to sign him before free agency, although it appears they plan to jump into the fray when other teams seek his services.

The move cost Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer some money. Houshmandzadeh said he and his wife went on a Valentine's Day respite with the Palmers to Las Vegas, but Palmer lost the wager when he bet Houshmandzadeh that he'd be tagged.

"I got to call him now," Houshmandzadeh said, "and tell him he owes me money."

Houshmandzadeh, who turns 32 this Sept. 26, probably had his age working against him for the tag. Still, he has become the club's third all-time leading receiver, became the first Bengal to lead the NFL in receiving with 112 catches in 2007, and finished with a NFL-best 31 catches on third down, a category where he is a perennial top five performer.

But Graham, 31, has also dominated his portion of the game. He ranks fourth all-time in the NFL in career field goal accuracy (85.6 percent), and he holds numerous other Bengals career, season and game records:

Points in a season (131). Field goals in a season (31). Field goals in a game (seven). Consecutive field goals made (21). Season field-goal percentage (91.2). Consecutive PATs made (158).

The only smears on his resume are two high profile-misses, one of which came this year and cost the Bengals a game and Donovan McNabb his sanity.

A 47-yard miss in the last seconds of overtime gave the Bengals a rare tie against the Eagles back on Nov. 16 on what was his first career try in OT. But it was Graham's 39-yard miss against Pittsburgh in the last seconds of the 2006 finale that turned out to cost the Bengals the playoffs.

Yet his performance under the gun is only slightly under his career numbers. With the chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter, Graham is 7-for-9, and with the chance to tie the game in the fourth quarter he's 3-for-4.

"Shayne has consistently performed at a high level for us, and we expect that same performance in 2009 and hopefully beyond, said Bengals coach Marvin Lewis in a news release. Well continue to speak with Shayne and his representatives about signing a longer-term deal.

" We will also continue to talk with several of our other pending free agents in an ongoing attempt to resign them. Some will want to test their value in the market, and we of course will look at the market for possible new players. But as Ive said before, the best value for all sides tends to be when a team re-signs its own key free agents, and we will make every attempt to re-sign the players we consider most important for 2009."

Graham is one of the most high-profile Bengals in the Cincinnati community, particularly with current and former military personnel, as well as children.

The Kicks for Kids program provides a wide range of assistance for at-risk children in Greater Cincinnati, and he has been a board member of the Cincinnati FreeStore/FoodBank. In 2008, he helped organize the nations most successful Taste of the NFL event, raising more than $170,000 for meals for the hungry.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Well there you go, TJ is free to go and they could offer him 20 million a year and I think he still leaves, I think TJ and Chad both feel like theyre in prison, so its time for TJ to move on and I wouldnt be hurt if Chad was traded although that would take some mental capability that this front office doesnt have.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I was against trading Chad last offseason, because I was in "send a message" mode....but they're not going to find a better deal that they could have gotten from the Redskins.

His value sunk like the stock market this season.

So, do the Bengals win 2 games next season, or 3?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    So, do the Bengals win 2 games next season, or 3?
    Two. Three if the Lions are on the schedule in addition to the Browns.

Turn Off Ads?