Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Re: Bengals Free Agency and Trades Thread

Well, my guess is TJ ends up in Philly.

I have a feeling we will end up trading Chad and drafting Michael Crabtree.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Two. Three if the Lions are on the schedule in addition to the Browns.
    If I weren't crying so hard, I'd be laughing.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    The question you need to ask: Would the Steelers bring them back?

Do the Steelers make a habit of paying 30 somethings big bucks? Should the current Bengals team?
    How old is Hines Ward? James Harrison? Casey Hampton? Marvel Smith?

Teams like the Steelers are constantly making good personnel moves, based on individual players, not just because it's a habit.

Teams like the Bengals get rid of quality players and draft Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, or Chris Henry.

I'm tired of the Bengals letting quality free agents go (see: Eric Steinbach, Madieu Williams, Andre Frazier) and keeping/ drafting/ signing the wrong guys (see: Levi Jones, Antwan Odom, Stacy Andrews).

And now we franchise.......drum roll please............

the kicker. Don't get me wrong, Graham has been a great kicker. But that's what he is - a kicker. Does the NFL suddenly get a 7-point field goal? How many crossing routes will he catch from Palmer?

Last edited by JBChance; 02-17-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: can't type w/ the wife yelling at me. Doh!

Good to know we've franchised Graham, who is great until the game is on the line, when he inevitably pushes it wide right. Fantastic news. We lose our most consistent offensive player, and we franchise our KICKER.

Sometimes I consider disowning this team. Why should I care when ownership is completely inept and isn't interested in winning, but rather in maintaing the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by JBChance View Post
    How old is Hines Ward? James Harrison? Casey Hampton? Marvel Smith?

Teams like the Steelers are constantly making good personnel moves, based on individual players, not just because it's a habit.

Teams like the Bengals get rid of quality players and draft Ahmad Brooks, Odell Thurman, or Chris Henry.

I'm tired of the Bengals letting quality free agents go (see: Eric Steinbach, Madieu Williams, Andre Frazier) and keeping/ drafting/ signing the wrong guys (see: Levi Jones, Antwan Odom, Stacy Andrews).

And now we franchise.......drum roll please............

the kicker. Don't get me wrong, Graham has been a great kicker. But that's what he is - a kicker. De the NFL suddenly get a 7-point field goal? How many crossing routes will get catch from Palmer?

Ward --- 32
    Harrison --- 30
    Hampton --- 31
    Smith --- 30

TJ --- 32 and looking for a four year contract. PASS

The Bengals can't commit that much money to the Wide Receiver position and be that old at the same time. TJ will be cut from whatever team signs him in two years. Wide Receivers don't age gracefully.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ward --- 32
    Harrison --- 30
    Hampton --- 31
    Smith --- 30

TJ --- 32 and looking for a four year contract. PASS

The Bengals can't commit that much money to the Wide Receiver position and be that old at the same time. TJ will be cut from whatever team signs him in two years. Wide Receivers don't age gracefully.

You're right - there are many wideouts that don't age gracefully. Then there are many that do: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Randy Moss, TO, Donald Driver, Lavernues Coles, Chris Chambers, Tory Holt, Mushin Muhammad are all guys the same age or older than TJ. Any of those guys getting cut? There are a few of them that might not get contracts, but those guys are 3-4 yrs. older than TJ.

To say TJ will be cut in two years is definitely jumping the gun. I think he was under utilized in the beginning of his NFL career and he didn't have a hard, 4 yr. type career at a major college. He should have some gas in the tank.

Besides, who says I'd give him a 4yr. deal, anyhow. I would franchise him. The reason? we don't have anyone to go in his place. Caldwell you say? Palmer hasn't thrown to him and he has so little experience. Simpson? He may be a never-will-be project. Holt? can't stay healthy and he drops the ball. Chapman? another training room frequent flier who always is healthy at the beginning of the season, then pulls a hammy. Henry? he'll be in jail. Please NO.

We can't draft our way out of the receiver mess, either. It is extremely rare for a wideout to be NFL ready out of college. They need time to adjust to the speed and complexity of the game.

This is another case of the Bengals punting as usual. Franchise the kicker. Awesome. Can he kick field goals from our 35? (that's as close as he's going to get). Maybe he can kick another playoff opportunity wide right this year.

Oh man, I must be delusional. I said Bengals and playoff opportunity in the same post. Doh!

Logan is right. It's simply not a smart move to sign Housh to a long term contract.

It's time to move on.

anyone remember all the hoopla over Dewayne Robertson, sometimes you do have to be careful with the cap space and think long term on these things and if a guy really doesnt want to be here let him go.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

Dewayne Robertson-DL- Broncos Feb. 16 - 8:06 pm et

Broncos released DLs Dewayne Robertson and John Engelberger, LBs Jamie Winborn and Niko Koutouvides, TE Nate Jackson, and SS Marquand Manuel.
    The moves save a cool $22.2M under the salary cap. Robertson's cap figure was $16M, a ridiculous amount for a league-average wave tackle with bum knees. The No. 4 overall pick in 2003, Robertson is 27 but may not have more than a season left in him. The Broncos kept him on the roster last year despite Robertson failing every physical they put him through. Josh McDaniels is cleaning house with the other Shanahan-era holdovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    Logan is right. It's simply not a smart move to sign Housh to a long term contract.

It's time to move on.

I agree. I would have franchised him.

However, that's now impossible. That's what I don't like the most. If we would have franchised him, we had some options. Now, he's gone.

So, since we obviously are moving on, what's you guys' suggestion on the offense, then. If we lose both Ocho Wacko and TJ, what's the solution? Do we get aggressive after some free agents (oh no - delusional again ) or do we try to catch lightning in a bottle, go all Detroit Lions, and draft Crabtree (completely ignoring the obvious needs on both lines)?

Not meaning to be incredulous, but this is the Bengals. They had one of the most powerful offenses in the NFL and they completely mis-managed it to its current state - in 3 short years. Actually 2 years, if you look at '08 as a utter failure; Which I do - offensively speaking.

BTW, I hope, as I always do, that they'll prove me wrong, someday.

The Bengals just franchised a kicker. Bwahahahahaha. Seriously, a kicker????? This is so funny you just have to laugh. This is the final thing that has convinced me Mike Brown is not serious in what he does. He's sitting back intentionally toying with people just for kicks. He just wants to get a rise out of people. He must have been bored lately, so he thought he'd push things a little. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

It could be worse, the Falcons franchised their punter.

Actually franchising kickers and punters makes sense. You guarantee you'll have the player for next year, and it doesn't cost nearly as much as to franchise a QB, WR, or RB.

As for WR's not aging gracefully. Marvin Harrison is actually an example of this. He lasted two years longer than most, but last two years he's been a shell of his former self.

Code:
    2008 Indianapolis Colts  15 60 636 10.6 42.4 67T 5 4 2 41 1 

2007 Indianapolis Colts  5 20 247 12.4 49.4 42 1 3 1 12 0 

2006 Indianapolis Colts  16 95 1,366 14.4 85.4 68T 12 18 4 78 1 

2005 Indianapolis Colts  15 82 1,146 14.0 76.4 80T 12 14 3 59 0
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

A good kicker is hard to find thats why Carney, Kasay or Elam just keep going down the list are in the 15-20th season and now youre seeing punters franchised. Franchising Graham is normal these days.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If you already know that you aren't bringing TJ back, there really is nobody else to franchise other than Graham.

Normally, I'm one to take any opportunity I can to trash Marvin and Mikey, but in this case I don't think this was a bad idea.

Turn Off Ads?