Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sheets may need surgery

Sheets may need surgery

Hmm:

According to MLB.com's Adam McCalvy and T.R. Sullivan, Ben Sheets has a torn flexor tendon in his elbow that might require surgery. There is some debate as to whether the Brewers would have to pay for the procedure. The Rangers and Sheets agreed to a two-year deal last week, but the physical threw a wrench into it. GM Jon Daniels says he's not optimistic at this point.

The injury first surfaced late in the '08 season, but until Sheets' physical with the Rangers it was thought that rehab would be sufficient. As many readers have pointed out, if Sheets has surgery and signs after the June draft he'll no longer cost a draft pick to sign.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sheets may need surgery

The reds should make a play for him now that his value is REALLY low, I mean, what's the risk if he accepts a small deal with a lot of incentives?
    Baseball is not necessarily an obsessive-compulsive disorder, like washing your hands 100 times a day, but it's beginning to seem that way. We're reaching the point where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. ~Thomas Boswell

Having a life is overrated.

In other news, the sun came up in the east today.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

It does say he'll be ready in June which is perfect because that's typically the latest the Reds are still in the playoff race!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    It does say he'll be ready in June which is perfect because that's typically the latest the Reds are still in the playoff race!
    I didn't catch that. I would think a torn flexor tendon would put him out way past June.

As for who pays for the surgery, my guess is workman's comp or whatever health insurance MLB gives its players.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Should a team that is supposedly at its payroll budget put the rent money on the "Sheets" square at the roulette wheel? I think not.
    /r/reds

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I didn't catch that. I would think a torn flexor tendon would put him out way past June.

As for who pays for the surgery, my guess is workman's comp or whatever health insurance MLB gives its players.
    I'd bet the Brewers get stuck with that tab.

Well, here's an interesting question, since Sheets is a type A free agent. If he doesn't sign until after the draft, does the compensation just not happen?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Well, here's an interesting question, since Sheets is a type A free agent. If he doesn't sign until after the draft, does the compensation just not happen?
    That's correct. I believe Walt mentioned that in an interview the other day.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Seems like someone should have just accepted arbitration.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Didn't Walt pick up Carpenter when he was going through a shoulder injury?

Sheets would be a good guy to give an incentive laden contract based upon the second half of the season. I would also offer him a performance based or a club option for 2010.

The Reds look pretty set in the rotation right now but thrown in healthy Sheets and you have a great staff. Sheets, Harang, Volquez, and Cueto would be a good top 4 then you have some leeway with Arroyo. Trade him if the right deal comes around, if he succeeds then keep him in the rotation.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would also offer him a performance based or a club option for 2010.
    A club option is actually a negative thing for a player.

Turn Off Ads?