Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Did Jose Canseco save baseball?

Did Jose Canseco save baseball?

I have to admit that when Juiced came out I thought Jose Canseco was just out for a buck. As more and more comes out Jose was/is right on the money. I'm starting to feel like Canseco (I have always disliked him btw) saved the great game of baseball. Discuss....
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Did Jose Canseco save baseball?

NO, Canseco did do it for just a buck. Because he pointed out something wrong with the sport hardly means he did anything to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    NO, Canseco did do it for just a buck. Because he pointed out something wrong with the sport hardly means he did anything to save it.
    I agree he did it for the buck, but the out come CAN'T be bad for the game.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

The ALMIGHTY DOLLAR, but he has been right on the money though!!
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

That's why he wanted to come out with a second book, for the money.

I think its now interesting that he said in his next book he would out A-Rod. Back then I thought he had really lost his marbles, now he appears to be correct on just about everything.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Old Red Guard Reject

I thought Jose Canseco believed he was the savior of baseball when he was playing.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Anyone who can rock a mullet on the diamond is a savior in my book.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Jose Canseco is a whistle blower. Whistle blowers have an agenda; whether it is money, revenge, or in some rare case morals. But in all cases problems come to light and can be addressed b/c of whistle blowers. So your own view of his agenda will determine how you look at Canseco. Baseball attendance has been very good overall and the owners have been making a lot of money. Canseco didn't effect attendance or profits with his book, so he didn't save baseball. Canseco pulled our heads out of the ground and exposed the true faces of the game and took away our innocence as fans. The dirty side of baseball has been exposed and the fans didn't leave, so baseball didn't need saving. As baseball gets cleaned up the game can only be better from a historical perspective and that is because of Canseco. He didn't save baseball but he certainly helped baseball.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

no

To say he "saved" baseball doesn't make much sense, because despite all this, the game wasn't, and hasn't been in any trouble since the strike. Look at revenues and attendance. People might get all up in arms about this, but at the end of the day, they choose to show their anger and disdain by going to the ballpark and booing/making signs, etc. A dollar made is a dollar made. Doesn't matter if the customer is disgruntled.

The only "trouble" baseball has been in has been from a moral point of view. NOT financial. The moral stuff hasn't hurt the bottom line and driven people away. It's very disturbing, yes, but baseball is as healthy as it's ever been when you examine it from a variety of angles.

With that out of the way, Jose Canseco is many things, most of them bad. However, he of all people would know a thing or 2 about steroids. I wouldn't trust him in regards to 9/10 other things. My trust would go about as far as I could pick up a vending machine and throw it. However, when it comes to steroids, the ultimate juicer himself knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by steig View Post
    Jose Canseco is a whistle blower. Whistle blowers have an agenda; whether it is money, revenge, or in some rare case morals. But in all cases problems come to light and can be addressed b/c of whistle blowers. So your own view of his agenda will determine how you look at Canseco. Baseball attendance has been very good overall and the owners have been making a lot of money. Canseco didn't effect attendance or profits with his book, so he didn't save baseball. Canseco pulled our heads out of the ground and exposed the true faces of the game and took away our innocence as fans. The dirty side of baseball has been exposed and the fans didn't leave, so baseball didn't need saving. As baseball gets cleaned up the game can only be better from a historical perspective and that is because of Canseco. He didn't save baseball but he certainly helped baseball.
    When we look back on this in fifty years, I don't think Juiced will be a cornerstone, nor even a small beacon of light. I agree that Canseco was a whistleblower, but you have to get your hands dirty and dig through the mud he slings to get to the facts, and even then, it's still highly questionable, as is everything else tied to roids. I don't know anyone who's head was pulled out of the ground by Canseco's words, and I don't know anyone who lost their innocence because of Canseco, if they even lost their innocence to begin with. But, then again, most of my friends are terrible wingmen. Juiced seemed like a strike-while-the-iron-is-hot deal meant to benefit only Canseco. That's what I get from it anyway.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Jerome; 02-09-2009 at 08:56 PM.

Fiddlesticks. Does anyone know how to delete a message. I'm new in Redszone. I click on Edit and I can't find the delete button anywhere. I'm scared.
    Last edited by Jerome; 02-09-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Did Canseco save baseball? I'd say no because this would have all come out sooner or later, but because of Jose it was sooner instead of later. If Canseco was really "blackballed" it now seems very hypocritical as it's pretty obvious that most everyone around the game knew what was going on.

Turn Off Ads?