Turn Off Ads?

Thread: How To: Gas smell in garage

How To: Gas smell in garage

So a quick question to all the homeowners.

I spilled a bit of gasoline on the floor of my garage on Sunday. Everything's cleaned up and is no longer dangerous, but the smell won't go away. It pervades the cars which take 5 minutes to air out once I'm on the road, and it's just difficult to deal with.

Is there any way to kill this smell?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How To: Gas smell in garage

Try this... and it works for many odors (especially animal) get a gallon of Vinegar and pour a HUGE bowl of it, set that in the garage, and it will soak up a LOT of the stink in the air. It also helps to boil it and set the pan out there too.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Covering the spill area with cat litter for a few days should help pull the gasoline out of the cement floor. Covering it thickly should keep the smell confined.

That's probably the cheapest solution. If it doesn't work, you could invest in some OilDri. I found that at Costco, but I imagine auto supply stores carry it, too.
    /r/reds

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Gasoline is an oil based product and the smell is actually ADDED to it for safety reasons. It sounds like it has soaked into the concrete. I would try rubbing the area of the spill with baby oil, an oil based product with a more pleasant smell, and then wash the area with a grease cutting dish washing liquid like Dawn. I have no idea if that will work, but it makes sense to me. Hope it helps!

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Man Pills

Kitty litter. Leave it for a while. A few days. Then sweep it up.

Absorbent charcoal, like the stuff you use for fish tanks might help too. Don't know about that though.

Kitty litter's a definite. The finer stuff, not the rocky stuff.

Scrub the area with bleach and rinse it off. Also, if you know where the area is, brake parts cleaner works great at removing it from the concrete. Works on oil to.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Your 2009 Cincinnati Reds' solution:

Pee in the corner of the garage for a few days, that stink should cover up the gas smell.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Your 2009 Cincinnati Reds' solution:

Pee in the corner of the garage for a few days, that stink should cover up the gas smell.

lol

Turn Off Ads?