Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tejada charged with lying about steroids

Tejada charged with lying about steroids

WASHINGTON (AP) — All-Star shortstop Miguel Tejada has been charged with lying to Congress about steroids. Tejada is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday where he is expected to plead guilty.
    The charges against Tejada, who currently plays for the Houston Astros, were outlined in documents filed in Washington federal court on Tuesday.
    The documents indicate that a plea agreement has been reached with Tejada, who won the 2002 American League Most Valuable Player award while playing for the Oakland Athletics and is a five-time All-Star.
    Tejada faces as much as a year in jail if convicted on the misdemeanor charge of making misrepresentations to Congress. Under federal guidelines, he would probably receive a lighter sentence.
    Messages left for his attorney, Mark Tuohey, were not immediately returned.
    The documents were filed a day after superstar Alex Rodriguez admitted to past use of performance-enhancing drugs.
    The FBI also is investigating whether Roger Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young winner, lied to Congress last year when he denied using steroids or human growth hormone.
    In the documents filed Tuesday, Tejada is charged with lying to investigators for the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in 2005 when he denied knowledge of an ex-teammate’s use of performance-enhancing drugs.
    The teammate is not identified in court documents, but is referred to as having played with Tejada on the Athletics.
    Tejada “unlawfully withheld pertinent information from the committee because defendant Tejada, before and during his interview with the committee staff, then and there well knew that player 1, one of his teammates on the Oakland Athletics, had used steroids and HGH,” the papers state.
    In fact, prosecutors charge that during spring training in 2003, Tejada had purchased a substance believed to be HGH from the player, giving him payments of $3,100 and $3,200.
    In the Mitchell Report, which examined steroid use in baseball, Oakland outfielder Adam Piatt is cited saying he discussed steroid use with Tejada and having provided Tejada with testosterone and human growth hormone.
    The Mitchell Report, issued in December 2007, also included copies of checks allegedly written by Tejada to Piatt in March 2003 for $3,100 and $3,200.
    The criminal charge against Tejada is contained in a six-page information, a legal document used often when a defendant has struck a plea deal with prosecutors.
    Tejada came under scrutiny after another ex-teammate, Baltimore Orioles’ Rafael Palmeiro, testified before the House committee.
    In January 2008, the House panel asked the Justice Department to investigate whether Tejada lied to committee investigators when he was interviewed in connection with the Palmeiro steroids case.
    When that same House panel held a hearing in March 2005, Palmeiro jabbed a finger at lawmakers and declared: “I have never used steroids, period.” Palmeiro was suspended by baseball later that year after testing positive for a steroid.
    The committee looked into whether Palmeiro should face perjury charges but eventually dropped the matter.
    Palmeiro said his positive test must have resulted from a B-12 vitamin injection given to him by Tejada.
    That prompted Congress to talk to Tejada.
    Last edited by Mainspark; 02-10-2009 at 04:02 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tejada charged with lying about steroids

Since when are B-12 shots sterioids?

I wish the government would move on. I'm so tired of hearing about steroids.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I wish the government would move on. I'm so tired of hearing about steroids.
    It's death by a thousand cuts for our favorite sport. MLB and the MLBPA need to do the right thing and release the list of names.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    It's death by a thousand cuts for our favorite sport. MLB and the MLBPA need to do the right thing and release the list of names.
    The right thing would be burning the list given promises were made.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The government and press didn't make those promises.

If MLB and the MLBPA want to hold an inquest over the stewardship of that list and how it escaped their grasp, have at it. Yet lying to Congress is illegal, trafficking in drugs not sanctioned by the FDA is illegal and the public does have an interest here.
    Last edited by M2; 02-10-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

...when they were done with it in 2004. Trouble is, they didn't.

It's one thing if you lie to Katie Couric or Peter Gammons, but lying to Congress is pretty serious business and whole 'nuther ballgame.

All the steroids guys need to say "OK, yeah, I did it". Like with A-Rod, the American public is pretty forgiving if you fess up.

Let's be done with it and let history take its course and establish some context.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

All the steroids guys need to say "OK, yeah, I did it". Like with A-Rod, the American public is pretty forgiving if you fess up.
    Pete Rose's second biggest mistake, after betting on baseball, was not immediately confessing. It has long been rumored that initially a deal could have been worked out with baseball whereby Rose would've been suspended but not banned, but Rose fought against the charges. Then, once he agreed to being banned, Rose lied about it for 15 years--he should have immediately confessed his sin, and a lot of the public then would have forgiven him.
    As for the steroid guys, it is hard to believe anyone who used the drugs doesn't know it, and also doesn't know if they failed a drug test. They need to get ahead of the curve on this. Above all, do not commit perjury. Confession and appearing to be genuinely sorrowful for the offense will get a lot of forgiveness.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Forgive me for being paranoid, but do you guys actually believe that A-Rod (or anyone else) completely quit using steroids in 2003? I mean, aren't they developing new, untraceable versions of these drugs all the time?

I know that people want to bracket this stuff off and say that no one after 2003 was using, or say that we're somehow going to "close the book" on all of this once such-and-such list is released to the public. Fact is, what we're encountering here is a cultural norm of almost all professional sports since pretty much the Greeks. And I'm really tired of having my tax dollars used to investigate it ad nauseum.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I agree the Tejada issue is a matter of public interest given his actions. I don't see why Tejada's situation means that MLB and the MLBPA should reveal the other names on the list that still remain a mystery.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I agree the Tejada issue is a matter of public interest given his actions. I don't see why Tejada's situation means that MLB and the MLBPA should reveal the other names on the list that still remain a mystery.
    As I understand it, that list exists outside the confines of MLB. It can't control that list.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    As I understand it, that list exists outside the confines of MLB. It can't control that list.
    Right what the government does is completely out of their control of baseball. But MLB and the MLBPA can control what they themselves do with it which was the issue my original comment was addressing.

I sympathize with what Unassisted was saying (basically get it over with in a bolus dose and start the healing sooner) but that's a lot of promises to break as a prophylactic.

Turn Off Ads?