Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds still in on Abreu?

Reds still in on Abreu?

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/49161

SI reports that the Reds are one of five teams still in on acquiring Bobby Abreu.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds still in on Abreu?

IMO if Walt has really wanted Abrue all along then he has played his cards perfectly.He is now available at a price that is 7 to 10 million less then what Abreu was asking for.I know that the Reds are saying that they are done with higher priced FA but that is what your supposed to say when your trying to get the best deal possible.I do think that the Reds would have to pay at least a extra million to land Abreu over some of the contending teams still looking at Abreu but it would still be much more than the original asking price and for less years.

I guess everyone has a point that he wouldn't want to come to Cincy but man would it make me feel a lot better about things. Back to reality, the thing that scares me the most is freaking Jacque Jones, he's another Dusty good ole boy...Dickerson and Gomes may not be worth a nickel but come on

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

This would be huge. Don't know what we'd get in terms of Abreu's effort playing for a team like us and we'd once again probably have to outbid other franchises but this would really be exciting.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

espn is now saying abreu is working out a 1 year deal with the Angels, looks like the train is leaving the station and we're not on it

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    IMO if Walt has really wanted Abrue all along then he has played his cards perfectly.He is now available at a price that is 7 to 10 million less then what Abreu was asking for.I know that the Reds are saying that they are done with higher priced FA but that is what your supposed to say when your trying to get the best deal possible.I do think that the Reds would have to pay at least a extra million to land Abreu over some of the contending teams still looking at Abreu but it would still be much more than the original asking price and for less years.
    Either way Walt did not necessarily play his hand in the best of fashions. While each contract is very small the money we spent signing Jacque Jones, Jonny Gomes, Laynce Nix, Wily Tavaras and resigning Norris Hopper we could have already had Abreu (if he is in fact looking at < $4 mil), and still have been able to resign Hairston and Daryle Ward for a bat with pop for the bench. With EE and (possibly later) Votto destined for the OF and some solid #4 types coming up, I think we would be more than adequate. Jocketty has not played this market so well thus far, signing Tavaras way too early for what is astronomically more than his market value. Next he wasted several dollars on reclamation projects in LF rather than wait the market out for an above average player at a huge discount.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Either way Walt did not necessarily play his hand in the best of fashions. While each contract is very small the money we spent signing Jacque Jones, Jonny Gomes, Laynce Nix, Wily Tavaras and resigning Norris Hopper we could have already had Abreu (if he is in fact looking at < $4 mil), and still have been able to resign Hairston and Daryle Ward for a bat with pop for the bench. With EE and (possibly later) Votto destined for the OF and some solid #4 types coming up, I think we would be more than adequate. Jocketty has not played this market so well thus far, signing Tavaras way too early for what is astronomically more than his market value. Next he wasted several dollars on reclamation projects in LF rather than wait the market out for an above average player at a huge discount.

I tend to agree. The Taveras signing looks absolutely atrocious now that it appears other players such as Abreu are going to be signing for lesser rates.

Just read another article saying Abreu is gonna be in Anaheim. A team that will compete in 2009.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Rusty the Red

Not getting Abreu is not necessarily Walt's fault. If I were Abreu and I was going to be playing for less than I think I'm worth, I would at least want to play for a team that looks to be real contenders from day one. Cincy may just not be appealing to him, regardless of how much more we would be willing to pay.
    It has been a trend in recent years that NBA guys, when their playing days are coming to a close, sign less money deals to try to win a championship - I guess Karl Malone started that. If I were Abreu that would be my thought process.
    Also, I don't think he pushes us over the top and he may limit us getting a chance to evaluate some of our hopeful but young players, i.e. Dickerson, Stubbs.

That all makes perfect sense, Rusty. I'm just concerned, though, that Dusty will play his former player Jacque Jones in left rather than giving a young guy like Dickerson a chance to show what he can or can't do. I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 02-11-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    That all makes perfect sense, Rusty. I just concerned, though, that Dusty will play his former player Jacque Jones in left rather than giving a young guy like Dickerson a chance to show what he can or can't do. I hope I'm wrong.
    I agree. I don't see how Jones at 33 does anything better then Dickerson, but Dusty has displayed that he's a real turd when it comes to doing the right thing at times and favoring his guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CRedsLarkin11 View Post
    I guess everyone has a point that he wouldn't want to come to Cincy but man would it make me feel a lot better about things. Back to reality, the thing that scares me the most is freaking Jacque Jones, he's another Dusty good ole boy...Dickerson and Gomes may not be worth a nickel but come on

Why not come to Cincy and play in Great American Small Park, inflate your numbers, get a better contract next season on the FA Market???
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Oh well he signed with the Angels
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Turn Off Ads?