Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Only a recap this week, folks, as I had a meeting tonight and forgot to record the show. But I did manage to hear much of the show on my way to the meeting.

Paul Daugherty was the host tonight and Marty called in from Sarasota. Paul called this the "I love you, Marty hour." (He's got that right) It was the first time Marty had been to Fantasy week and he loved it. Marty and Jack Billingham believe that Pete Schourek could help a team out as a pitcher but not the Reds. Paul asked Marty about A-Rod and Marty said A-Rod took the right road in coming clean. He thinks A-Rod's gonna get screwed by the media since he's not as likeable as a guy like Pettite. Marty said that Jr's legacy just gets bigger and better. Paul said that Jr's agent said that there will be an announcement on Jr's employment situation soon. Marty said he'd believe it when he saw it.

Marty and Paul believe this is a better team than the one that finished 2008 and Marty thinks Hal McCoy is wrong when Hal says the team won't be any good. Marty said that building this team around power didn't work and Gonzo is the key to this team.

Paul made the point that this will probably be the first season Dusty doesn't have a big power hitter in the middle of the lineup and wonders if he'll manage differently because of that. Marty thinks the perceived lack of offense will be made up for by the better pitching and defense.

Paulk asked if Brandon would still hit cleanup. Marty said it's not an ideal situation for anyone since he's not a cleanup hitter but Brandon will do whatever is asked of him.

They started to take callers but Paul kept cutting Marty off. When they did get a call, the caller wondered if the lack of free agent signings was because of the loss of a draft choice when you signed one.

The next caller wondered why the Reds signed Jones and Ward. Marty said they were good signings since they are minor league deals and they aren't going to cost the Reds much. The caller asked why the Reds didn't sign Andruw Jones. Marty said that no one else was wanting to sign him either.

Marty and Paul talked about Corey Tavaras. Marty said he's the most important acquisition this off season because he gives the Reds that leadoff hitter they've been looking for for so long. He says he's not a gold glover in CF but he's not awful.

That's all folks. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

You are a brave, brave man.

Gonzo is the key to this season? Mama mia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

so Marty is happy with a less productive Pokey Reese hitting off, should go for fun times this year.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I can't believe Marty went a full hour without taking a shot at Adam Dunn, Jim Bowden and Peter Gammons. Hats off to Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    so Marty is happy with a less productive Pokey Reese hitting off, should go for fun times this year.
    Marty loves him some bad baseball players.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I can't believe Marty went a full hour without taking a shot at Adam Dunn, Jim Bowden and Peter Gammons. Hats off to Marty!

He took a shot at Bowden. He was insulting Bowden without mentioning his name when Paul said Bowden was a good friend of his. Then Marty shot back with "Well he is no friend of mine."

If what ChipR wrote above is accurate, then Marty has proven himself to be an absolute idiot.

Not that I had any doubt before....

Rem

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I wasn't opposed to signing Tavares.

Him being the "BIG" signing of the offseason is the problem I have with it.

Marty said that building this team around power didn't work and Gonzo is the key to this team.
    I rarely agree with MB, but I do think that Gonzo being 100% healthy is as big a boost as the team can get from the current roster.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Time to play "Spot the irony."

Quote Originally Posted by El Poofo Grande View Post
    building this team around power didn't work
    Quote Originally Posted by Franchester B View Post
    the perceived lack of offense will be made up for by the better pitching and defense.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Gonzalez has been the key for the last three years.

fool me thrice, shoot me.

Gonzalez has been the key for the last three years.

fool me thrice, shoot me.
    How'd you like the SS play last year?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You missed princeton's point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    last year was "Shame on Me"

this year, it'll be Shoot the GM.

Now I know why the Yankees missed the playoffs last year. Pavano must have been the key.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?