Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training and the 25-man roster

Spring Training and the 25-man roster

I don't think there's much competition. As I said in a previous thread, I think the pitching staff is pretty well set if no injuries. Four starters from last year with Owings. Bullpen same as last year except Rhodes replaces Affeldt. Cordero, Burton, Weathers, Lincoln, Rhodes, Bray. The seventh and last bullpen spot IMO goes to Massett as an innings eater.

The guys looking in from the outside are Ramirez, Fultz, Roenicke, Herrera. If an injury, one of them comes north. Bailey/Maloney/Thompson all headed for AAA.

The starting 8 (actually 9 with platoon) position players are Hernandez, Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez, EE, Dickerson/Gomes, Taveras, Bruce.

That leaves four bench spots. Hairston, Keppinger, Hanigan and one more.

The one more is either Jacques Jones or Ward since the Reds need a lefty bat off the bench.

My guess is that Ward is the presumptive winner due to power as a pinch hitter. Jones on the outside unless there's an outfield injury. Janish/Rosales are around in case of an infield vacancy, such as if Gonzo can't go.

I think that's it, barring another player move. Let me know when it's April.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-11-2009 at 09:48 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Spring Training and the 25-man roster

I agree there probably isn't much competition. I disagree on LF though. It's most likely Dickerson's to lose but he can lose it if Jones has a strong spring.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I agree there probably isn't much competition. I disagree on LF though. It's most likely Dickerson's to lose but he can lose it if Jones has a strong spring.

I hope not. I'm not sure Dickerson will make it, but he should get the first shot. Absent an Abreu or Dye type, let Dickerson have his shot.

IMO Hairston will platoon in LF with Dickerson (assuming Gonzo really is healthy)

Ramirez goes back to AAA despite his strong showing last year. this is an odd one to me. we spent $8M on the pen this offseason and Ramirez/Herrara/Roenicke all will be in AAA.

i disagree with those who say the bench is set. Hanigan, Hairston & likely Kep are on it. since Kep was so bad last year it is possible someone like Rosales beats him out. Ward, Jones & Gomes are on minor league deals. They are in no way pencilled in for the bench. They have to have a good spring to make the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I hope not. I'm not sure Dickerson will make it, but he should get the first shot. Absent an Abreu or Dye type, let Dickerson have his shot.
    I think he'll get a shot. However, I think he'll have to light it up in March to get the starting nod. If he hits .270 while Jones hits .350, Jones will get the job.

I hate to say it, but I think Dickerson will start in Louisville.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I hope not but it won't surprise me at all if he does.

What does it matter if Dickerson starts in Louisville. If I'm Dusty I take north whichever of those two are on fire offensively.

I believe both are equal defensively, and they can always be switched out if the other struggles once the season starts ... its not the end of the world if Dickerson starts in AAA.

What would be the end of the world is if Jones gets the nod and stinks up the joint while Dickerson is languishes in AAA, but if Jones performs well enough to get the nod - then play him - IMO. He may very well turn out to be a surprise of sorts.

Then if both Jones & Dickerson (in AAA) tear it up and Taveras eats it ... then perhaps dusty will be forced to play Dickerson in CF .... wishful thinking, I know.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

KInd of think the hot bat at the end of ST gets the LF job regardless who it is out of the possibilities currently on hand. I hope its Dickerson. He really looked good out there last year and did nothing that would require him to go to AAA but ST could change all that. I look for a late trade out of Spring Training from Jocketty. Perhaps the price Kenny Williams is asking for Dye will be lower by then. Maybe a way of keeping Bailey and still get Dye.

Corey Patterson hit .455 last spring. I'm sure glad the Reds took his hot bat north.

I agree with you Vada Pinson Fan. Dusty is going to take the hot bat north. It will be really interesting to see if Jones and Dickerson are both hitting the ball well. What direction will he go at that point? My guess is Jones will get the nod if both are hot.

i have heard several posters state this opinion. imo this is absolute rubbish. Dickerson is the starting left fielder vs RHP. he played very well in 2008. jones/ward/gomes were not signed to be the starting left fielder. they were signed for the bench or as depth in AAA.

i think the unhappiness with the Taveras signing combined with Bob C cutting the budget is starting to warp people's minds about all aspects of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i have heard several posters state this opinion. imo this is absolute rubbish. Dickerson is the starting left fielder vs RHP
    You are entitled to your opinion, obviously. I just disagree with you. I think Dickerson will get a chance to be the starting left fielder. It's not at all guaranteed or certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i have heard several posters state this opinion. imo this is absolute rubbish. Dickerson is the starting left fielder vs RHP. he played very well in 2008. jones/ward/gomes were not signed to be the starting left fielder. they were signed for the bench or as depth in AAA.

i think the unhappiness with the Taveras signing combined with Bob C cutting the budget is starting to warp people's minds about all aspects of the team.
    There are a number of reasons Chris Dickerson could end up in Louisville:

1. He doesn't play well this spring.

2. Jacque Jones tears the cover off the ball this spring.

3. He has options.

4. The Reds trade for someone.

5. He gets big leagued by Dusty.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion, obviously. I just disagree with you. I think Dickerson will get a chance to be the starting left fielder. It's not at all guaranteed or certain.
    Agree 100%.

He'll get a shot but if anybody named Gomes, Jones, Ward or Nix has a hot spring they'll be sharing time in LF with Hairston over Dickerson. To start the year anyway. Might end up that he's getting the majority of the time there by the end of the season, but for starting the season I think they view him as just another option out there as opposed to the leading contender.

We'll need that vet presence with all those kids running around willy-nilly on the field.

There are a number of reasons Chris Dickerson could end up in Louisville:

1. He doesn't play well this spring.

2. Jacque Jones tears the cover off the ball this spring.

3. He has options.

4. The Reds trade for someone.

5. He gets big leagued by Dusty.
    What exactly does number five mean? Is this the canard that Dusty has vet love and will send Dickerson down because he's got a vet he can play? Dickerson may well end up in Louisville, but if he does, it will because of one of your first four points. But last year did not show Baker player older players over younger players, IMO. Votto, Bruce, Dickerson, EE all were played consistently by Dusty. I just don't buy that Baker's got this "vet love" that is insatiable.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?