Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle

Re: Griffey back to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    One last lap around the field in front of the folks who loved you when you were young.
    That's really great.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Just curious jojo, but how will the Seattle fins react if he's hitting .240 in July with no power?
    That typo would have been so much better if you were talking about the Florida fans.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    That typo would have been so much better if you were talking about the Florida fans.
    That typo was on purpose. Just wanted to make sure the rest of you were awake

All dyslexics must untie!

Junior heading to Arizona for spring training? Color me surprised

I guess he loves the game more than he loves being in proximity to his family for a few months (as opposed to what his feelings were back in '99) I expected him to join Seattle in June, after his kids were out of school

My in-laws will be pleased. They still have a dog named Griffey, she's getting pretty old
    Never overlook the obvious

Of course, a large part of me wishes that he could go out in a Reds uniform - not only on top, but finally with a ring. Unfortunately, that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Just curious jojo, but how will the Seattle fans react if he's hitting .240 in July with no power? I don't imagine they'd ever boo him, but I honestly don't think it's going to be pretty, and it'll probably result in more time spent on the DL than on the playing field. So the M's may not get the box office attraction they're after. I hope that's not the case, but history would seem to suggest otherwise.
    Well even when "Jr was Jr" there was a vocal segment of Seattle fans that didn't like him because they thought he dogged it (sound familiar?). The way he left Seattle wasn't exactly cool beans either (he demanded a trade after all).

Then there is a large portion of the fan base that are casual fans so just seeing him in an Ms uni on the family trip to Safeco will probably be enough. Frankly it would be fun to see him go yard.

Basically there are several camps:
    1) hated him then will hate him now and if he sucks we'll claim scoreboard;
    2) meh from the statheads depending upon how much he'll get paid with the caveat that they wish the Ms would've went after a legit bat but Bavasi's sins kind of made it much harder to do (i.e. resigned to the fate)....
    3) Bring back Jr (because we think it'll make the statheads unhappy and well it would be like poking them with a stick especially if he plays well).
    4) the lumped together group (nostalgia buffs/romantics/casual fans/those hoping he'll do better than his projections because of genuine love)..
    5) giddy sportswriters who can now phone in story lines all summer long...

So there would be a gamut of reactions from gnashing of teeth to sadness to meh to it depends upon whether the Ms are "in it or out of it"....not really informative, I know.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

They're getting the following

Jimmie Foxx - 1945 Phillies

Pete Rose -1985 Reds

Al Simmons - 1944 A's

Tony Perez - 1986 Reds

Edd Roush - 1931 Reds

One last lap around the field in front of the folks who loved you when you were young.
    Not technically, but how about Mays with the Mets and Aaron with the Brewers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Not technically, but how about Mays with the Mets and Aaron with the Brewers?
    Yep, same thing.... Snider and Hodges with the Mets in 1963 is the equivalent of Rose and Tony with the Reds in 1986.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

His best bet is to accept a bench/DH role with a contender. Unfortunately, pride will get in the way.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    His best bet is to accept a bench/DH role with a contender. Unfortunately, pride will get in the way.
    I say let him sign with Seattle right now. If he can be rejuvenated playing in a city where most of the fans still love him and boost his value somewhat, then I could see him being traded at the deadline to a contender if Seattle isn't there themselves (doubtful).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Well, fading or not, I hope Jr plays another year. He's still one of my favorites, even though he's banged up and old.

I also hope Doc Hollywood's hyperbole is correct this time. It would be cool to see Jr go out strong. Yeah, I know that has maybe a 2% chance of happening.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, fading or not, I hope Jr plays another year. He's still one of my favorites, even though he's banged up and old.

I also hope Doc Hollywood's hyperbole is correct this time. It would be cool to see Jr go out strong. Yeah, I know that has maybe a 2% chance of happening.
    OMG I agree with REDREAD!

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

They're getting the following

Jimmie Foxx - 1945 Phillies

Pete Rose -1985 Reds

Al Simmons - 1944 A's

Tony Perez - 1986 Reds

Edd Roush - 1931 Reds

Yep. Well said.

It would be a summer long love fest. A nice way to go out.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I thought the Red Sox should have at least made an offer, but, even if they had, I doubt he'd have been interested.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

841 OPS against righties last year (albeit helped by the GAB). He still could help a team if he leaves his glove at home.

Turn Off Ads?