Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mariners talking w/ Jr.

Mariners talking w/ Jr.

Sources: Mariners pushing Griffey talksComment Email Print Share By Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com
    Archive The Seattle Mariners have stepped up the pace in negotiations that could bring Ken Griffey Jr. back to the city where he spent the first 11 years of his major league career, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.

Although it's unclear whether the Mariners have extended a formal offer, two sources said the team made significant progress this week in talks to bring back Griffey. Several reports this winter have indicated that Griffey is seeking a one-year deal for a base salary in the $5 million range.

The list of available left-handed hitting outfielders on the market grew less cluttered Wednesday when Bobby Abreu agreed to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Angels, and Adam Dunn signed on for two years and $20 million with the Washington Nationals.

Seattle, which currently has an outfield alignment of Ichiro Suzuki in right field, Franklin Gutierrez in center and Endy Chavez in left, had been looking at Garret Anderson and Abreu as potential free agent options, but now it appears the focus is on Griffey -- who broke in with Seattle in 1989 at age 19 and made 10 straight All-Star teams with the Mariners during the 1990s. Seattle also could have at-bats available at first base and designated hitter.

The Mariners traded Griffey to Cincinnati in February 2000 for Mike Cameron, Brett Tomko and two other players, and Griffey never attained the same level of success during an injury-plagued tenure with the Reds.

Cincinnati sent him to the White Sox in a deadline deal in July, and while Griffey got a chance to play in the American League Division Series, he hit only three homers in 131 regular-season at-bats with Chicago.

Griffey, fifth on baseball's career list with 611 home runs, hit only 18 homers in 490 at-bats in 2008. But his production was limited by a sore left knee that had to be drained three times and required arthroscopic surgery in the offseason.

Griffey is spending this week in California, where he's taking part in the AT&T pro-am golf tournament. Seattle's pitchers and catchers have their first spring training workout Saturday in Peoria, Ariz.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN.com.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mariners talking w/ Jr.

Good for him. I hope he hits .300 and 30+ HR. I would love to see him go out on a high note. It was time for him and the Reds to part company( I wish things would have worked out so he could have finished his career with the Reds) but it would be nice to see him have a couple good seasons in Seattle and retire on top of his game.

I was hoping he would go to the Braves.

Mariners are crazy for giving him 5 mil but it will be nice to get him back where he enjoyed his greatest years.

Too bad he'll never win a ring now.

Quote Originally Posted by xavr1 View Post
    Mariners are crazy for giving him 5 mil but it will be nice to get him back where he enjoyed his greatest years.
    They'll recoupe that 5M many times over with Griffey in the lineup. The fans love him there and they will come out in big numbers.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by mlh1981 View Post
    Too bad he'll never win a ring now.
    After watching Tampa Bay last season, nothing is out of the realm of possibilities.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Turn Off Ads?