Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

  1. #16
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What, too lazy to type "before", WMR?

    Here I am scanning thru posts and I see "b/f draft day" and I'm asking myself "What the heck does a boyfriend have to do with draft day?"

    Nice job, ya got me...
    Freud would have something very interesting to say about where your mind is at, HLman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,818

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    IF LB's are a dime a dozen....why is it the bengals seem to always draft or sign mostly pennies worth of LB's?

    When they went back to the 3-4 back when DL came back to be DC in 1997....this team could not draft or develop anyone in the LB position....and the defense stunk again with Dick here. He goes to PITT and their defenses are some of the best ever......during 1992-96 era and now during his 2nd stint.

    That too me also explains in a nutshell the differences between those 2 teams...who have employed the same DC at various times since 1984.

    Look up the defensive stats of the Bengals from 1984-91 and 1997-2000 and the Steelers from 1992-96 and 2003 until the present.

  4. #18
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    IF LB's are a dime a dozen....why is it the bengals seem to always draft or sign mostly pennies worth of LB's?

    When they went back to the 3-4 back when DL came back to be DC in 1997....this team could not draft or develop anyone in the LB position....and the defense stunk again with Dick here. He goes to PITT and their defenses are some of the best ever......during 1992-96 era and now during his 2nd stint.

    That too me also explains in a nutshell the differences between those 2 teams...who have employed the same DC at various times since 1984.

    Look up the defensive stats of the Bengals from 1984-91 and 1997-2000 and the Steelers from 1992-96 and 2003 until the present.
    I wouldn't necessarily call Brian Simmons and Takeo Spikes penniesworth of linebackers.

    That being said, it's more about development than anything. Teams like the Steelers are good at developing their type of players to fit their system.

    Lance Briggs, Lofa Tatupu, and Cato June are linebackers who have been drafted outside of the first round as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,325

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    I've said since November Michael Crabtree will be the 6th pick if he's still there. I think outside of C, the coaching staff likes the OL they already have on the roster.

  6. #20
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call Brian Simmons and Takeo Spikes penniesworth of linebackers.

    That being said, it's more about development than anything. Teams like the Steelers are good at developing their type of players to fit their system.

    Lance Briggs, Lofa Tatupu, and Cato June are linebackers who have been drafted outside of the first round as well.
    Briggs and Cato are only LB's in a cover 2 defense or at least they were drafted that way. They are smaller faster LB's that fit that scheme but at the time they were drafted were not fits for most clubs at LB.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  7. #21
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I've said since November Michael Crabtree will be the 6th pick if he's still there. I think outside of C, the coaching staff likes the OL they already have on the roster.
    Can't see it.

    Levi=injury prone. Hasn't been the same for awhile.
    Whitworth=solid. Probably the best of what we have right now.
    Ghiachuic=gone. Thank God.
    Bobbie Williams=getting long in the tooth.
    Stacy Andrews=now an injury concern.

    Take Andre Smith or Michael Oher if one of them falls and move Andrews to guard if he is healthy or release Levi.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    5,818

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    This organization spent the early to middle 90's thinking their OL was fine also.

    Since Mike is still here along with his family....they probably feel that was now as well...and stupidly so.

    They always depended on McNally to turns (crap) into salad.....so they drafted these really bad OL just beacuse they practiced well or looked good in the combines. It was not until 1995-96 that they finally started re-addressing this issue.

  9. #23
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,070

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Can't see it.

    Levi=injury prone. Hasn't been the same for awhile.
    Whitworth=solid. Probably the best of what we have right now.
    Ghiachuic=gone. Thank God.
    Bobbie Williams=getting long in the tooth.
    Stacy Andrews=now an injury concern.

    Take Andre Smith or Michael Oher if one of them falls and move Andrews to guard if he is healthy or release Levi.
    I agree that O-Line desperately needs to be addressed (preferably in the first round), but you neglected to mention Anthony Collins, who will be starting somewhere along the line next year.

  10. #24
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    It wouldn't surprise me if they see Collins as their LT next year.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  11. #25
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if they see Collins as their LT next year.
    or RT, assuming they do nothing.

    I forgot to mention Collins, but I was looking more at last years line. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to take Smith/Oher and then take a Max Unger or another center in the second round.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  12. #26
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    http://profootball.scout.com/2/839933.html

    Some interesting comparisons (players the Bengals are or should be interested in):

    Michael Oher to Orlando Pace
    Eugene Monroe to DBrickashaw Ferguson
    Everette Brown to Dwight Freeney (who they have the Bengals picking)
    Andre Smith to Shawn Andrews
    BJ Raji to Kevin Williams
    Rey Maualuga to Lofa Tatupu
    Jason Smith to Jamaal Brown
    Brian Orapko to Tamba Hali
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    End of the bench
    Posts
    750

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I've said since November Michael Crabtree will be the 6th pick if he's still there. I think outside of C, the coaching staff likes the OL they already have on the roster.
    If the Bengals don't like someone who plays in a three point stance at 6, I'd trade down for an additional 2nd round pick. If they can get another 2nd round pick plus for Chad, trade him. That gives them 4 picks in the top 50 or so. This is by all accounts a deep draft this year. This gives Marvin an excellent opportunity to re-make the Bengals again.

    Hopefully, he does it from the lines on out.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

  14. #28
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    For those wanting Rey at no 6, talk is that teams have been unimpressed with his decision making and that he has likely fallen to late in the first round.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #29
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Weird how much things can change from the end of college football to the draft, despite none of these guys playing a down of football. Doesn't always make a lot of sense to me.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  16. #30
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,104

    Re: Thornton Blogs on pick #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Weird how much things can change from the end of college football to the draft, despite none of these guys playing a down of football. Doesn't always make a lot of sense to me.
    What gets me is the 40 yard dash. Some of these kids go to track specialists and learn to run with the best form. Much of that time comes from how fast they come out of their stance. Maualuga and Laurinaitis didn't come out of their stances cleanly and they were "slow" each in at around 4.8. Maualuga may have hurt himself as well as he seemed to pull up as he finished his 40. Marcus Freeman who isn't half the player either of them are runs a 4.67 and is labeled fast.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25