Washington gets: 2B Brandon Phillips
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Proposal

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fourrunhomer View Post
    No thanks.
    A big old NO from me, too! Don't trade Phillips!

No thanks!!

No. Phillips is quickly becoming our only proven vet. Lot of value there.

We should not trade Phillips unless we're getting something amazing in return!
    3-2 at games this year
    5-9 all time

2010 central division champions

Outfielders are the easiest position to come by in the major leagues. Harris and Dukes are nothing different than what the Reds already have or really any other team in baseball. However, not every team has a 2B with the athletic ability of Brandon Phillips.

we could get Dukes but not at the expense of Brandon, Maybe something like Juan Fracisco OR Stubbs and Roenicke, but not phillips

The Nats need pitching, badly. They don't need Phillips, and the Reds need to keep him, unless they get something much more valuable than Dukes, like a premier SS.

Probably a package around someone like Maloney would interest Bowden more than Phillips.

I would do that deal. Phillips is solid but he's not a shortstop and he is not Chase Utley. He is a great defender with pop who can hit for a decent average but his plate discipline keeps him from being a top half of the order hitter on a good team (with a manager who just doesn't hit fast guys at the top). In house the reds already have Valaika, Richar, Keppinger and Rosales as possible replacements. Adding Dukes would give the reds a RH LF with 30-40 hr potential with good speed, a strong arm, and a knack for finding firstbase. Even though he is an outfielder there just aren't that many guys in MLB walking around with his potential. I do agree with TheNext44, in that I don't think the Nationals would pull a Phillips for Dukes swap.

I'm hoping that Dukes struggles early and one of the 8 outfielders that Bowden has will play well and force him out of the lineup so that Dukes might be made available.
    Last edited by Orenda; 02-12-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The Nats need pitching, badly. They don't need Phillips, and the Reds need to keep him, unless they get something much more valuable than Dukes, like a premier SS.

Probably a package around someone like Maloney would interest Bowden more than Phillips.
    haha yes common sense would tell you the Nats need pitching .....but remember who is their GM.

No.

I don't like any trade scenario involving the team's best defender, the team's most veteran player, the team's most reliable player, one of the team's top-2 Right-handed power hitters, one of the team's best baserunners, and basically the team's most important non-pitcher player, who's still cheap and in his prime for the next 3 seasons.

Brandon Phillips is the type of player a small-market club like the REDS' tries to obtain, not get rid of. Give me 4 more Brandon Phillips to play 3rd Base, Left Field, Shortstop, and Centerfield and we're in the playoffs.

I'm fine with trading Phillips, and I love Dukes talent but there is no way you could trust him to stay out of trouble. Not to mention the Willie Harris is a replacement level (or below) player that is signed for way too much. I would trade Phillips for Milledge and Lannan. Phillips starts to become expensive next season, and without a drastic offensive improvement he's overpayed.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    See what you guys think:

Cincinnati gets: IF/OF Willie Harris and OF Elijah Dukes

Washington gets: 2B Brandon Phillips
    I like Willie Harris a lot, but he can't hold a candle to Phillips.

Elijah Dukes is a dirty thug, and Cincinnati doesn't need any more of those. He's not a good ball player, either. He's mediocre at best.

What about Homer for Dukes or another of the twenty something wunderkin of Bowdens collected ?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Turn Off Ads?