Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Uggla available soon

Uggla available soon

Marlins' Dan Uggla awarded $5.35M in arbitration case
    By By Juan C. Rodriguez | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    4:45 PM EST, February 12, 2009
    PHOENIX - It doesn't qualify as historic, but as far as raises go it's not bad.

Second baseman Dan Uggla learned he won his arbitration case Thursday, securing a $5.35 million salary for 2009 instead of the $4.4 million the Marlins hoped to pay him. In becoming the team's second-highest paid player behind Hanley Ramirez ($5.5 million), Uggla's salary skyrocketed from the $417,000 he earned last season.

The $4.933 million bump is among the highest ever for a player making the first-time leap from a six- to a seven-figure salary. The only ones to receive greater increases: Ryan Howard ($9.1 million), Miguel Cabrera ($6.928 million), Albert Pujols ($6.1 million), Prince Fielder ($5.83 million), Jonathan Papelbon ($5.425 million), Ramirez ($5.063 million) and Bobby Jenks ($5.05 million).

"We felt pretty good about case," said Jeff Borris of the Beverly Hills Sports Council, Uggla's agent. "Daniel over the last three years gave us quite a bit to work with."

A two-time All-Star, Uggla last season established career highs with 32 homers and 92 RBI. Since his 2006 rookie season, no other second baseman has put more pitches in the seats than Uggla, who with 90 homers has three more than Phillies counterpart Chase Utley over that span.

Uggla was the last of 17 Marlins that began the offseason eligible for arbitration. He also was the only one who did not settle before figures were exchanged last month. Since this front office took over in 2002, the Marlins are 3-3 in arbitration hearings.

"It's always a rough process because the team always has to denigrate the player," Borris said. "You never like being in that situation and always try to settle cases whenever you can. Sometimes there are situations where the sides get cemented in their positions and they have no other choice but to go to a hearing."

With Uggla's outlay now determined, the Marlins have 13 players locked in at $28.36 million. The remainder of the 25-man roster will earn at or near the $400,000 league minimum, meaning Uggla and Ramirez will account for almost one-third of the Opening Day payroll

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Uggla available soon

I bet he'll be dealt sometime this season, or at the latest before next season, since the Marlins like to spend as little as possible on their players but I sure as hell wouldn't want him at 2nd. I kinda like position players that aren't liabilities on defense. He needs a new position.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

The way the trade market is right now you could probably get uggla at a discount. Then move phillips to SS, i know the team has said they dont want to do that but if you can bring in an all star 2nd baseman you have to move him. I dont know how bad uggla is defensivly but his power would be a nice addition to this team.

Did anyone see Uggla in the All-Star game? Talk about defensive liability. Uggla is the infield version of Adam Dunn, which for me means, I would still love to have Dan Uggla.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

I was thinking about the comparison to Dunn as well. The problem is a poor defensive player hurts you the least if he's a leftfielder but would hurt the team more if he's an infielder. (Which is why I'll be curious to see how Dunn handles 1st base in DC.)

I don't need an excellent fielder at every position to be happy but I also wouldn't like to have a defensive liability at any position either if possible. Besides, while I'm all for seeing how well a player can play a different position, we just don't know what BP would be like at ss. If you want to debate who we should have at 2nd it's BP for now. Uggla is the better offensive player but BP is a much better defensive player (maybe not the best but definitely better) and when it comes to all around play BP gets the edge Imo. This is all academic since BP likely isn't going anywhere for at least a season or two since he's under contract through 2011. In 2012 I'm not sure I'd want either BP or Uggla since they'll probably cost too much by then for what they do on the field.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Did anyone see Uggla in the All-Star game? Talk about defensive liability. Uggla is the infield version of Adam Dunn, which for me means, I would still love to have Dan Uggla.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    Gotta think that All-Start game has scarred him at least a bit.

How long did it take Reggie Sanders to get over his 13 strikeout performance in the '95 playoffs?

By the way, the above article says Uggla will make $5.35 million in '09. BP will make $4.75 million. That's another example that shows players that hit more homers relative to their position cost more and pretty good offensive players that are much better defensively are cheaper and undervalued.

Also, IF we had a BP type player (plus defense with pretty good offense) at ss, 3rd, and in centerfield (in addition to 2nd) we could contend for at least a wild card spot. (We would have better defense at all 3 positions and better offense from at least 2 of the 3 positions.) But if you have an Uggla type at those 4 positions I'm not sure we'd be able to overcome that much bad defense to contend.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see BP have a better obp just like everyone else but even with that obvious flaw I'm ok with him ... for now. Now in 2011 when he becomes expensive... (cmon farm system)
    Last edited by redsfandan; 02-13-2009 at 01:32 PM.

If we want him, he'd have to be moved to LF.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I was thinking about the comparison to Dunn as well. The problem is a poor defensive player hurts you the least if he's a leftfielder but would hurt the team more if he's an infielder. (Which is why I'll be curious to see how Dunn handles 1st base in DC.)

I don't need an excellent fielder at every position to be happy but I also wouldn't like to have a defensive liability at any position either if possible. Besides, while I'm all for seeing how well a player can play a different position, we just don't know what BP would be like at ss. If you want to debate who we should have at 2nd it's BP for now. Uggla is the better offensive player but BP is a much better defensive player (maybe not the best but definitely better) and when it comes to all around play BP gets the edge Imo. This is all academic since BP likely isn't going anywhere for at least a season or two since he's under contract through 2011. In 2012 I'm not sure I'd want either BP or Uggla since they'll probably cost too much by then for what they do on the field.
    I guess no one knows how good or bad Brandon would be at short,but could he be any worse than Keppinger or Hairston?

Is that really asking for much? Hell DannyB you'd probably be better at short than kepp.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Is that really asking for much? Hell DannyB you'd probably be better at short than kepp.
    I know lol

Turn Off Ads?