Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Selig may reinstate Aaron's record per USA Today

Selig may reinstate Aaron's record per USA Today

Per USA Today:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...387/1071/SPT04

Selig may reinstate Aaron's record

Commissioner Bud Selig on Wednesday told USA Today he is considering reinstating Hank Aaron as Major League Baseball's all-time home run leader.

Barry Bonds, who broke Aaron's record of 755 home runs in 2007, faces a March trial on charges he lied to a federal grand jury about using performance-enhancing drugs.

"This is breaking my heart, I don't mind telling you that," Selig told USA

If he does do this, I bet he'll take months deciding. Either way, I'm still not much of a Selig fan...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Selig may reinstate Aaron's record per USA Today

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    ah poor little fella what could ya have been thinking back then huh Bud?

selig stinks. there is also an article pertaining to his thoughts on the a-rod crap. he basically says shame on you.

I'd say it's a given that Bud is unpopular. That doesn't need to be posted anymore. So he's finally doing something that all anti-Budsters/Bondsmen are for; reinstating the home run record. Doesn't this make anyone happy or relieved? Sure we can say "it's about time Bud," or "this never should have happened in the first place" but it did and hindsight is a beautiful thing. Most people think the steroid issue is cut and dry, which it isn't.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I'd say it's a given that Bud is unpopular. That doesn't need to be posted anymore. So he's finally doing something that all anti-Budsters/Bondsmen are for; reinstating the home run record. Doesn't this make anyone happy or relieved? Sure we can say "it's about time Bud," or "this never should have happened in the first place" but it did and hindsight is a beautiful thing. Most people think the steroid issue is cut and dry, which it isn't.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    i just wonder how exactly he'll do it. how many homers will he take off Bonds mark? i really don't see how he can take a given number of homers off of the mark Bonds set without knowing the total number of homeruns that steriods may have helped him hit. i'm by no means a Bonds fan, but if he does this to Bonds, should he also reinstate Maris' record and take homers away from A-Rod, McGwire, and the rest of those guys? And we can't forget Clemens and Pettite. If he takes stats away from Bonds, he should take numbers from everyone of those guys regardless of records, name, etc. It's only fair.
    Last edited by fadetoblack2880; 02-13-2009 at 09:58 AM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

If Selig does this the game will really be forever screwed up. Just leave it alone. You didn't stop Bonds when he was cheating his way to the top and its too late now,you dope.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

[QUOTE=fadetoblack2880;1802774]Per USA Today:
    QUOTE]

Go cry in your $17.5 million dollar paycheck, Bub er Bud. Hubris at it's best. What a giant A-hole this man is.

Selig sat on his hands, collected his paycheck and allowed baseballs top players to feel "preasured" into cheating. Not that I have any remorse for anyone who got caught.

But if we are looking at professional athletes to be mature, thoughtful adults, dream on. These are boys, playing a game, that just happens to make them rich. Rich does not equal educated or smart. Most of these guys are HS graduates, grew up in small little towns and rode buses down back highways to go to work for 6 months of the year. These guys couldn't even get the job that you and I are ignoring right now.

And I'm not trying to demean HS graduates at all. All I'm saying is that in this world, it's really hard to make enough money to become rich without at least a college degree. These "boys" get paid $600,000 (or so) when they are at the start or their careers or they just happen to be the worst of the best. What was your first "starting" salary?

Bud's job is like the headmaster at the all boys school who turns his back while his boys "cheat" their way through school. This does not make them better people. This does not teach them the difference between right and wrong. It tells them that because they are "special" athletes, they don't have to follow the rules.

So when Canseco and Maguire show up in the leaugue, huge and buff and roided out, and start hitting tons of homers, and start getting huge contracts and monopolizing the playoffs, and they don't get reprimanded for cheating, guess what. They other guys start doing it too. Go ask Ken Caminitti how the "preassure" of taking steroids affected his life. Oh that's right we can't, because he's dead.

Then to add insult to injury, we pay Bud ungodly amounts of money to do the job he is incapable of doing. This entire era is a much bigger black eye on baseball than damning Shoeless Joe for being ignorant ever was. And the fallout down the road will be huge, due to what no one knows are the long term effects of taking steroids.

So if there has to be one person to blame for all this mess, do not rule out Mr. Selig. I would always say that those who get caught should take their share of blame. But if one guy could have avoided this mess getting out of control, it's Bud.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 02-13-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Bonds hit more home runs than Hank Aaron, whether Bud Selig acknowledges it or not. Much like Pete Rose is still the hit king, and everyone knows it!

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Bonds hit more home runs than Hank Aaron, whether Bud Selig acknowledges it or not. Much like Pete Rose is still the hit king, and everyone knows it!
    But Pete didn't cheat to become the hit king. Bonds obviously did to become the HR king.

I would put a real asterisk next to anyone's name who was caught during the steriod period. A big one with a disclaimer about steriods, how they help you and which ones they supposedly did.

And I wouldn't vote for anyone who did them to be in the HOF.

Pay the price. Pete sure has.

He will have to reinstate Maris's record then also.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    But Pete didn't cheat to become the hit king. Bonds obviously did to become the HR king.

I would put a real asterisk next to anyone's name who was caught during the steriod period. A big one with a disclaimer about steriods, how they help you and which ones they supposedly did.

And I wouldn't vote for anyone who did them to be in the HOF.

Pay the price. Pete sure has.

i agree. if he does this to the homerun record, how can he still deny rose entry into the hall. what rose did was bad, but like you said, he didn't cheat. rose may have associated with some bad people, but he never took drugs to inflate his stats. i don't see how selig will have a leg to stand on in his stance on letting rose back into baseball and denying his entry into the Hall. it's a double standard. talk about people disliking the man, imagine how san francisco fans will feel if he reinstates Aaron's record.

Bud would still be letting all this slide if congress hadn't gotten involved in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    If Selig does this the game will really be forever screwed up. Just leave it alone. You didn't stop Bonds when he was cheating his way to the top and its too late now,you dope.
    Bingo!
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

he is a bozo. He refuses to recognize Rose, but needs to 'think' about recognizing cheaters who accrued their stats illegally. - He is a joke. Hsi face during the all star tie was epic.

Turn Off Ads?