Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Hits Camp Early

Bruce Hits Camp Early

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Why wait until the report date? Reds outfielder Jay Bruce is ready to get started now.

Ready to build on his rookie season, Bruce got to town on Thursday night and was at the Reds' Spring Training complex on Friday morning. Position players aren't required to be in camp until Tuesday while pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Saturday.

"You want to see the guys again," Bruce said. "When it gets this close to Spring Training, you're ready to go."

Last year's top prospect in all of baseball entering the season, Bruce was a focal point despite not being assured of a roster spot. He competed to be the everyday center fielder but after a fast start, struggled to be consistent. His chances were greatly reduced further once veteran center fielder Corey Patterson was signed in early March.

Bruce was sent back to Triple-A during camp but came back up for good in late May. He finished his rookie season by batting .254 with 21 home runs and 52 RBIs in 108 games.

This year, Bruce is Cincinnati's everyday right fielder and won't be tasked with fighting for his place on the 25-man roster.

"It doesn't change too many things. I think it makes me not put so much pressure on myself," Bruce said. "Last year, I was trying to do too many things. Now, I'm not going to change a thing."

With his place assured, Bruce still doesn't plan on using his time in camp as a break from the golf course.

"I'm here to make the team every year," he said. "The way I look at, they're just not going to give you a spot. I'm excited to be here and I'm really ready to go. It's going to be an exciting year."

Like most Major Leaguers, Bruce committed himself to an offseason workout program and didn't wait until the opening of Spring Training to be in playing shape. He's been lifting, hitting and throwing for several weeks.

"I'm glad to here because I'm tired of lifting weights and doing the same thing every day," Bruce said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

I love this kids work ethic. Hard to tell if he's just trying to say the right things or he's really that kind of guy. I choose to believe the latter.

If he keeps up this kind of effort, I think a big step forward is possible for him.

Even if you hate the current direction of the team, He's a big bright spot.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce Hits Camp Early

I always appreciated how JR was there early and I am glad to see Jay picking up with that attitude !

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Man I love this kid
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Ken Griffey Jr? What are you talking about? He was a waste of money, an unproductive slug for the Reds, and basically stole millions of dollars. He was an embarrassment to the city and to the team- a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub. IN fact, he has been a total scrub for 8 straight seasons. - A total non factor in the history of the REds. Jr is a blackmark on the team

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFogg View Post
    Ken Griffey Jr? What are you talking about? He was a waste of money, an unproductive slug for the Reds, and basically stole millions of dollars. He was an embarrassment to the city and to the team- a career loser who alienated teammates and ended his career as a dinky hitting part time scrub. IN fact, he has been a total scrub for 8 straight seasons. - A total non factor in the history of the REds. Jr is a blackmark on the team
    I think he just meant that with all of Junior's shortcomings one tradition that Junior made regular was showing up to spring training early. Even with all the stuff you mentioned it was still something he didn't have to do and something that we as fans appreciated. It was refreshing.

Someone's having a bad day.

I don't understand why more players aren't anxious to get back to the team. I think Bruce is going to be a real glue guy, but we'll see if he comes early when he's at the All-Star level and has commercial deals. Then will come the true test of arriving early.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

I expect Bruce to be far more successful in a Reds UNi than Jr was. because, face it, Jr did close to nothing in Cincinnati. IN fact, all Bruce would have to do in his Reds tenure is play on a playoff team, and he will instantly surpass anything Jr was ever able to accomplish in cincy.

Funny that this is coming from someone with the username JoshFogg..
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose.

-Pete Rose

What was embarrasing was having Chris Reitsma and Elmer Dessens being staff "aces" during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I think he just meant that with all of Junior's shortcomings one tradition that Junior made regular was showing up to spring training early. Even with all the stuff you mentioned it was still something he didn't have to do and something that we as fans appreciated. It was refreshing.
    Thank you !

From another article...

Many Reds didn't wait for the report date to show up. Starter Aaron Harang, closer Francisco Cordero, reliever Bill Bray and outfielders Jay Bruce and Chris Dickerson were among those already at the team complex before the weekend. Many more position players arrived early on Saturday. - By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com
    Looks like these guys are chomping at the bit - good to see. Especially cool to see Harang getting started earlier; shows alot of commitment. I personally can't wait to see him round back into form.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

I'm not the biggest Jr fan either but I'm not stupid enough to call him a scrub for 8 straight season.

Dang Josh, you must still be bitter about that penny prank Jr pulled on you last season.

Looks like Dickerson knows he's in for a fight and showed up early

Great to see Bruce and Dickerson there early.

Turn Off Ads?