Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: According to Yahoo! ...

Re: According to Yahoo! ...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Chapel Hill is pretty much separate from Raligh-Durham. If you've been there, you understand. It's definitely a college town, and a great one.
    If they say Ann Arbor is separate from Detroit then I think it's fair to separate Raleigh-Durham from Chapel Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chapel Hill is about 8 miles from Durham and not all that close to Durham. Heck, Raliegh and Durham are really two separate cities. Ann Arbor is about 50 miles from Detroit. It takes an hour to get there. So yeah, I don't think it's considered the same locale.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Chapel Hill is about 8 miles from Durham and not all that close to Durham. Heck, Raliegh and Durham are really two separate cities. Ann Arbor is about 50 miles from Detroit. It takes an hour to get there. So yeah, I don't think it's considered the same locale.
    I lived in the Detroit suburbs and Ann Arbor, they aren't the same thing.

Of course we agree, they are different.

In Detroit's case, it's not simply a 50 mile drive. "No one" really lives in Detroit anymore. Anybody with any sense got out by now and suburban Detroit is where the population is and it's encroaching upon Ann Arbor. Heck, the airport is midway between the two. And we know when guys like Gary Moeller go to party, he goes to Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Of course we agree, they are different.

In Detroit's case, it's not simply a 50 mile drive. "No one" really lives in Detroit anymore. Anybody with any sense got out by now and suburban Detroit is where the population is and it's encroaching upon Ann Arbor. Heck, the airport is midway between the two. And we know when guys like Gary Moeller go to party, he goes to Detroit...
    Ann Arbor will ultimately be to Detroit what Florence, KY is to Cincinnati. (And no, I know Florence is not a "college town" but I am using the suburb comparison)

It might be an hour commute, but it's still going to be linked to the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I doubt that. No one is moving to the Detroit area, which is usually what leads to certain further out areas being over-run, such as what Sundeck says is happening to Chapel Hill; which doesn't surprise me given the overall growth in the research triangle. It might be "linked" to the city, but it's been that way forever, that's nothing new. But being "linked" and being the same are two different things. I lived there for 2 years, and there was never anything about Ann Arbor that felt anything like Detroit. If you didn't know better, you'd never even know Detroit was in the same vicinity at all.

There's not a lot of job opportunities in Ann Arbor or the immediate surrounding area, so I don't know what will bring people there outside of the universty. There hasn't been a ton of change in Ann Arbor over the past decade from what I understand. You don't see any construction outside of the campus itself. I'd be surprised if A2 doesn't retain its current personality and atmosphere for quite some time. It's a great place to live. I'd move back there in a second if there were an opportunity.
    Last edited by MWM; 02-17-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?