Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Q&A with Walt Jocketty

Q&A with Walt Jocketty

Q&A with Walt Jocketty

By John Fay • jfay@enquirer.com • February 14, 2009

Five questions with Reds general manager Walt Jocketty:

What's the biggest difference between this year's team and last year's?

"The defense is better. We've improved team speed. The pitching staff is deeper. I think people had high hopes for (Edinson) Volquez. But I don't think people expected - at least I didn't - for (Johnny) Cueto to come along like he did. The depth of bullpen is better. Dusty (Baker) also has a better awareness of the players and they know what to expect from him. That's a big factor."

What's your biggest concern going in?

"Health is always the No. 1 concern. I think if we stay healthy and players play up capabilities, we've got a chance to very good club and an exciting club that's fun to watch."

What's the club's biggest strength?

"Our pitching. I had lunch with Joe Buck the other day. I was talking about the depth of our rotation. We go at least four deep and have a lot of good young guys competing for the fifth spot."

Name a player who is poised to have breakout year

"I hate to predict that. But we've got a lot of young guys. Micah Owings is capable of doing well. He was very good two years ago. He can be an impact player. (Willy) Taveras and (Ramon) Hernandez are better than what he had last year."

What attracted you to the job?

"A big part of it was Bob (Castellini). I knew him. I knew his goals. I thought the situation was similar to St. Louis in the mid-90s. It's a great challenge to repeat what he did in St. Louis."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...305/1071/SPT04

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Q&A with Walt Jocketty

Dusty (Baker) also has a better awareness of the players and they know what to expect from him. That's a big factor."
    Cool Dusty owns the roster this year.

What attracted you to the job?

"A big part of it was Bob (Castellini). I knew him. I knew his goals. I thought the situation was similar to St. Louis in the mid-90s. It's a great challenge to repeat what he did in St. Louis."
    I don't remember the mid 90's be a chronic whirling, sucking vortex of sucky suckitude and incompetence for St Louis but hey, maybe Jocketty thought that challenge was too easy...
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Cool Dusty owns the roster this year.
    That's what I've been saying all winter. This is Dusty's team and he'll sink or swim based on their performance. No more excuses for Dusty. I don't think anyone could win with this team, but Dusty better figure it out or he's going back to ESPN.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

I don't remember the mid 90's be a chronic whirling, sucking vortex of sucky suckitude and incompetence for St Louis but hey, maybe Jocketty thought that challenge was too easy...
    From 94 to 97, the Cards averaged 69 wins. They did win a division during that time, though.

I wonder if Dusty will see the third year of his deal if the Reds have another losing season?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I wonder if Dusty will see the third year of his deal if the Reds have another losing season?
    Tony La Russa is a free agent (as of now) next season.....I'm just throwing it out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Tony La Russa is a free agent (as of now) next season.....I'm just throwing it out there...
    As long as he brings Duncan with him!!!

I'm no La Russa fan but I'd love for him to manage the Reds, no doubt about it.

What's the club's biggest strength?

"Our pitching. I had lunch with Joe Buck the other day. I was talking about the depth of our rotation. We go at least four deep and have a lot of good young guys competing for the fifth spot."
    Whodda' thunk it just a couple of seasons ago.
    It's been a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I don't think anyone could win with this team, but Dusty better figure it out or he's going back to ESPN.

what's "I had lunch with Joe Buck" got to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    From 94 to 97, the Cards averaged 69 wins. They did win a division during that time, though.
    There were a couple of short seasons in there...They had a .475 winning percentage during that period good for 77 wins a season. That was on the heels of a couple of good decades.

The Reds have only bested 77 games twice in the last 8 seasons of losing records.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

"I?m looking for the best way to put this: With all due respect to guys who were here before, I have had success. Bob knows that. Bob understands that he can trust what I?m trying to do. He gives his opinions. But he gives you the ability to do your job. I had more of a track record."-Reds GM Walt Jocketty to The Enquirer

Now THAT'S an owner the best minds in the game would want to GM for.

Worth The Wait

Most. Pointless. Q & A. Ever.

Turn Off Ads?