Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds still in on Abreu? - NO - Abreu signs with the LA Angels

Reds still in on Abreu? - NO - Abreu signs with the LA Angels

The Reds are one of five teams still in on Bobby Abreu, according to Jon Heyman.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/49161

I know I'm just getting my hopes up, but if Walt somehow snags Abreu (especially at <$4MM) I will consider it a successful offseason. Have Dickerson and Taveras battle it out for CF, with Gomes as the RH-PH, and Hairston as the supersub (or SS once AGon goes down.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-10-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds still in on Abreu?

For comparatively little money, Jocketty could really turn around my opinion of this off-season. Just do it, Walt.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

My hopes for this year would go way up this year if the Reds somehow got Abreu.

2008-
    Abreu: .296/.371/.471
    Reds LF: .247/.361/.500

The Reds are equal or better at about every position other than LF, so I think getting Abreu would take my prediction of 78 wins to an above .500 season.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    My hopes for this year would go way up this year if the Reds somehow got Abreu.

2008-
    Abreu: .296/.371/.471
    Reds LF: .247/.361/.500
    I agree. My optimism would shoot through the roof if Bobby Abreu is signed. I could easily see Abreu OPSing .850 or better with the move to the weaker National League and by playing half his games in GABP. I'd feel pretty good about a lineup featuring Abreu, Bruce, Encarnacion, and Votto. Make it happen Walt. Make us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    For comparatively little money, Jocketty could really turn around my opinion of this off-season. Just do it, Walt.
    Completely agreed.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Abreu really isn't a dramatic answer for the Reds IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Abreu really isn't a dramatic answer for the Reds IMHO.
    Dramatic? Maybe not.

We would agree that they could use him, yes?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Dramatic? Maybe not.

We would agree that they could use him, yes?
    He's a safer bet than the current likely platoon in left and probably increases their playoff chances but I don't think he makes the Reds serious playoff hopefuls.

EDIT: I've looked for an earlier post where I laid out the reasons for my opinion of the Reds and Abreu but it might have been lost when redszone was reset. If I have time, i'll try to reconstruct it in the interests of allowing others to critique the argument.
    Last edited by jojo; 02-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's a safer bet than the current likely platoon in left and probably increases their playoff chances but I don't think he makes the Reds serious playoff hopefuls.

EDIT: I've looked for an earlier post where I laid out the reasons for my opinion of the Reds and Abreu but it might have been lost when redszone was reset. If I have time, i'll try to reconstruct it in the interests of allowing others to critique the argument.

That would be cool.

My opinion is that he's the perfect example of a Walt Jocketty acquisition.

A one year deal for a player (that has been a very good hitter over the course of his career) with something to prove, and short porch in right field, and a team that desperately needs a stopgap bat for the year.

It's a match for a beautiful one night stand.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

The argument for signing Abreu died when Taveras was signed. A Dickerson/Hairston CF platoon would have allowed for the Reds to add a bat in LF. Instead they locked themselves in to a mediocre at best "solution" in CF, forcing our value play in to LF, if it is to be realized at all.

Sure, Abreu is probably a win or two better than our LF platoon will be. But at this point, it probably doesn't make sense to spend ~$8M we've been told we don't have (no way does Abreu go for the figures we've heard...) on what amounts to a meaningless difference.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The argument for signing Abreu died when Taveras was signed. A Dickerson/Hairston CF platoon would have allowed for the Reds to add a bat in LF. Instead they locked themselves in to a mediocre at best "solution" in CF, forcing our value play in to LF, if it is to be realized at all.

Sure, Abreu is probably a win or two better than our LF platoon will be. But at this point, it probably doesn't make sense to spend ~$8M we've been told we don't have (no way does Abreu go for the figures we've heard...) on what amounts to a meaningless difference.
    So... wait a minute. Taveras is so bad that it doesn't make sense to sign Abreu? I mean, I like the idea of a Dickerson/Hairston platoon better than a semi-regular Willy T., but I wasn't aware that they were projected to be a super-productive CF combo.

In any case, I think a 1 year, $8 million deal is reasonable for Abreu. Could you spell out why you think it would be so inconsequential to the Reds' chances?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm not holding my breath. It would make me 10 times more excited for the upcoming season, but in the last decade, I've learned to live with disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

I don't understand this at all. How does Dickerson in CF "allow" the Reds to get Abreu but Taveras doesn't "allow" it?

I guess you mean that Dickerson in CF means the Reds are competitive but Taveras doesn't. But a year ago Dickerson's name was synonymous with backup outfielder in the minor league forum. And Taveras was playing in the World Series.

I kind of doubt that the Red will get Abreu. My take is that they want a younger starting team with a lot of speed, aggressive baserunning, and much improved outfield defense.

But Abreu would give them the kind of hitter they have lacked for years, a solid, high BA, good OBP guy who hits all pitching. He would be a welcome addition IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So... wait a minute. Taveras is so bad that it doesn't make sense to sign Abreu? I mean, I like the idea of a Dickerson/Hairston platoon better than a semi-regular Willy T., but I wasn't aware that they were projected to be a super-productive CF combo.

In any case, I think a 1 year, $8 million deal is reasonable for Abreu. Could you spell out why you think it would be so inconsequential to the Reds' chances?
    Perhaps I wasn't articulate. In so far as adding wins is a good thing, Abreu would be a plus. Adding wins isn't a bad thing. However, the point of adding him was that the Reds had a reasonably productive cheap option for CF already. What they didn't have was a plus bat who could play an average or better LF.

But instead of spending their money to buy something they didn't have, they bought another mediocre CF option, pushing the (likely) equally productive platoon of Dickerson/Hairston to LF. Add another LF and you've wasted the cash you spent on Taveras. And that's the reality -- the Reds don't have $8M to spend on Abreu, because they went after a CF who they didn't need.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I was thinking today.......if the Reds signed Orlando Hudson (or Cabrera), and an OF'er (Abreu or Dunn) for $10-11 million for both, they really could have a decent shot in the Central. Think of what that amount of money for Castellini is comparative to his total worth........... I wish, I wish.

Turn Off Ads?