Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Volquez should start Opening Day?

Do you think Volquez should start Opening Day?

I think so. in fact, I would call it an insult to not reward the teams best pitcher in 08 the ball for OD. It is not like it was even close; Volquez earned it. And if Harang wants it back, he will have to pitch his butt off. This is not a charity or a fraternity. Legacy should have nada to do with it.

Allowing Harang to start would, in my eyes, be rewarding below average performance.
    Last edited by JoshFogg; 02-16-2009 at 05:39 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do you think Volquez should start Opening Day?

Let's see how Spring Training goes. If he "earns" it there fine. But what if Harang looks like the 07 Harang rather than 08 you could really make a case for either. You have a full month to look at everyone and decide no reason to rush especially considering what many are expecting out of this season, no job should be set in stone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Let's see how Spring Training goes. If he "earns" it there fine. But what if Harang looks like the 07 Harang rather than 08 you could really make a case for either. You have a full month to look at everyone and decide no reason to rush especially considering what many are expecting out of this season, no job should be set in stone now.
    True Enough. I cant wait to start checking box scores again.

I believe the job is Harang's. He has been the team's ace for three years now. If Harang had only had one good year then I would agree that it should go to Volquez because he had the best season last year. Argument could be made that Harang was the best pitcher in the National League the two previous years before last. It baffles me how he is so quickly cast as a has been (and never has been) by some. If he has another down year and Volquez continues to shine then next year will be a different story. I happen to believe that last year was an anomaly for Harang and he will bounce back and have a chance to win twenty games this year. Yes, I also think that Volquez is the real thing and will have a stellar season. But Harang is the Ace of this staff.

Quote Originally Posted by fourrunhomer View Post
    I believe the job is Harang's. He has been the team's ace for three years now. [...] Yes, I also think that Volquez is the real thing and will have a stellar season. But Harang is the Ace of this staff.
    I think Dusty has already confirmed he has Harang pencilled in as an OD starter, unless something major would change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Blender View Post
    I think Dusty has already confirmed he has Harang pencilled in as an OD starter, unless something major would change his mind.
    that doesnt surprise me, coming from the manager that said jr "deserved to hit 3rd because of his past achievements" all the while jr was hitting .220 with 6 homers in 250 abs
    Last edited by JoshFogg; 02-16-2009 at 07:45 PM.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I would say yes but I think Harang will be for a few reasons. With Volquez going against #2's this year it gives him a real chance to stockpile victories.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I would say yes but I think Harang will be for a few reasons. With Volquez going against #2's this year it gives him a real chance to stockpile victories.
    um, you can alter that with one days rest. in the regular season, you dont rank pitchers based on matchup ...you rank them on who is the best pitcher on your team. Heck, the Mets could make santana a # 4, but that would be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFogg View Post
    um, you can alter that with one days rest. in the regular season, you dont rank pitchers based on matchup ...you rank them on who is the best pitcher on your team. Heck, the Mets could make santana a # 4, but that would be insane.
    Um, okay. What do you want to bet that Volquez doesn't start opening day? I'd bet you anything. Even if he's lights out in ST he won't be the #1 by position to start the season whether he deserves it (I believe he does based on ability) and if he has a rough spring he probably could slip to 3 behind Arroyo. Its the way we do things. You watch.

And I know its altered with one days rest. But to start the season he'll be #2 I bet and that will predominantly have him going against #2's around the league and at least for this year for one more year Harang will be the #1 again because the Reds believe he's one of the best right handers in the league and the best starter in the staff.

So let me ask you again, what do you want to bet?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Dusty baker is the manager. I bet zero. I firmly believe, that Volquez should be the OD starter. 95% of decisions dusty makes, i think the opposite should be done. So, why would I bet when I know the man who controls the outcome thinks 95% opposite the way I do?? Give me 20:1 and now we have a bet

Quote Originally Posted by JoshFogg View Post
    Dusty baker is the manager. I bet zero. I firmly believe, that Volquez should be the OD starter. 95% of decisions dusty makes, i think the opposite should be done. So, why would I bet when I know the man who controls the outcome thinks 95% opposite the way I do?? Give me 20:1 and now we have a bet
    haha 20:1 I don't have the bank should something crazy happen but I agree Dusty has no business managing this personnel filled with young flourishing players trying to grow. Why? Because he'll always favor his guys, veterans, and take at bats and innings away from youngsters to go with his hunch, has-beens.

Agreed Volquez SHOULD be the opening day starter. But I think Dusty will have his reasons for letting a veteran get the call unfortunately. But I think all year volquez will be matched up against a lesser man bc of it more often then not and it should have its positives for the youngster. FWIW I don't think Harang has ace stuff and never has and he'd give us a better shot against #2's and #3's all year but someone has got to face the big fella Volquez sometime and when they do he's going to wreak havoc.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Let's get a few spring training appearances under our belts before making bets on this sort of thing. We could very well find that harang, god forbid, hasn't fully recovered from whatever was giving him all that trouble last season. Or we could see Edison is missing his spots like he was over the last couple months. Or we will find that they are lights out in the spring and we will have the best 1-2 punch in the national league.

But for the record I would put my money on harang.

Agreed Volquez should pitch on opening day based on record, but everyone knows Harang is the #1 starter based on seniority right now. Baker's giving him the nod is based on that. Besides it is only one game. After opening day it is a non-issue.

I agree, Volquez > Harang as a pitcher, however, they probably aren't going to beat Santana anyway, so you might as well run Volquez out against their #2 starter, and hope to get a win there in a mismatch.

Harang appears to be focused this year; he came early to camp and lost some weight to try to regain his competitive edge.

Unless he comes completely unglued in ST, he deserves the shot to get his mojo back. He earned that right by carrying the, oftentimes miserable, pitching staff,over the years. If he doesn't do it, then we can all turn the page to the younger hurlers.

Here's to hoping he will
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Turn Off Ads?