Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

Re: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

I need to just stick to pitching and let somebody else handle my offense; all of my teams have this same makeup...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

I've been consistent all year. Consistently mediocre, but for being the first time in a "real" baseball fantasy league, I'll take it. I've always just been a hardcore fantasy football guy, but never got into the baseball. I think I've got the bug now.

Just think how awesome my pitching would have been with a healthy Volquez and Webb? I actually was close to flipping Volquez a couple of times, but never pulled the trigger. I guess you live, you learn. Hopefully he comes back at some point for me next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I've been consistent all year. Consistently mediocre, but for being the first time in a "real" baseball fantasy league, I'll take it. I've always just been a hardcore fantasy football guy, but never got into the baseball. I think I've got the bug now.

Just think how awesome my pitching would have been with a healthy Volquez and Webb? I actually was close to flipping Volquez a couple of times, but never pulled the trigger. I guess you live, you learn. Hopefully he comes back at some point for me next year.
    I started out with fantasy football too. After a few years I tried roto baseball and found out it was much, much more fun and challenging than football. I don't even play fantasy football anymore. Fantasy basketball is a fun thing to do in the baseball offseason.

Rule Change Survey 1: DL Slots

Well it is getting late in the season, so now is a good time to start officially discussing potential rule changes for next season.

People have been suggesting changes to me. Feel free to submit any ideas you may have for improving the league. I am sure there are ways we can make this league even better.

Let's plan on discussing each suggested change by itself and then move on to the next one.

Someone suggested we increase the number of DL slots since several teams have been hit very hard by injuries to the extent that it is hard to field a full lineup every day.

Question: How many DL slots is best: one, two, three, four, five, unlimited?

Please answer the question with a number. Explanations optional. Please post your answers here and/or in the league message board.

Background info: This league is an effort to simulate the job of General Manager of a baseball team. Anything we can do to accurately portray the actual circumstances as they confront a GM in major league baseball will help to improve the realism of our simulation. The job of a GM is to put the best team possible on the field every day while also planning for the future.

In real MLB baseball if a player is injured the team can place them on the DL and replace them with another player. There is no DL limit in MLB.

In our league there are currently 34 players on the DL list. That is an average of 3 injured players per team.

Teams with 6 players on the DL: 1
    Teams with 5 players on the DL: 1
    Teams with 4 players on the DL: 3
    Teams with 3 players on the DL: 2
    Teams with 2 players on the DL: 2
    Teams with 1 players on the DL: 1
    Teams with 0 players on the DL: 2

If you have 4, 5 or 6 players on the DL it really hurts your team's ability to compete. It would really help if you could at least bring in a replacement-level player to fill out your daily starting lineup.

My personal vote is for 4 DL slots next year.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 08-07-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Other issues that will need to be resolved after we are done with the DL issue:

1. Expanded roster size.
    2. Trade protest procedure.
    3. Pre-season draft rules.
    4. Possible change in starting lineup slots.
    5. What to do if we have owners abandoning their team or tanking the season to improve their draft slot.
    6. Determining waiver priority at the beginning of seasons.

Hopefully we can come to quick consensus on these issues and have a great league again next year without any unfairness or arguing.

If you have any more ideas or suggestions please let me know.

5. Offline draft of the abandoned team based on reverse order of standings.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    5. Offline draft of the abandoned team based on reverse order of standings.
    We will discuss that issue and the rest of them after we settle the DL issue.

But since you mentioned it...

I did not intend to create a method of dispersing the abandoned team's players. The goal of the abandoning/tanking issue is to motivate team owners to not abandon or tank the season. We need to make sure nobody abandons their team or tanks the season. Some sort of sanction for the offending owner may be needed. We should also have a contingency plan in place in case we need to replace an owner mid-season or at least manage the team so the league doesn't suffer or become unfair.

Just my opinion, but I feel that a manager abandoning their team and a manager tanking are completely different issues...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Just my opinion, but I feel that a manager abandoning their team and a manager tanking are completely different issues...
    Agreed.

We might have to tackle those issues separately when we get to that point.

The reasons for abandoning or tanking are definitely different, but both infractions have very similar results -- the league becomes unbalanced and unfair.

We all agreed to commit to the league for the long haul when we signed up and we all have good reputations on Redszone to uphold, so I am confident we won't have these problems. But you never know. We should be prepared just in case.

Im in favor of at least adding one more more d.l. slot but would like at least having 3 D.L. slots but majority rules.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Im in favor of at least adding one more more d.l. slot but would like at least having 3 D.L. slots but majority rules.
    Yeah, we need more, 2 or 3 would be acceptable to me but I don't care if people want 4 either.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Agreed.

We might have to tackle those issues separately when we get to that point.

The reasons for abandoning or tanking are definitely different, but both infractions have very similar results -- the league becomes unbalanced and unfair.

We all agreed to commit to the league for the long haul when we signed up and we all have good reputations on Redszone to uphold, so I am confident we won't have these problems. But you never know. We should be prepared just in case.
    I'm not going to be quitting the league now or anytime in the future, but I think it's unfair to call someone's reputation into question if unforeseen events in someone's life make it impossible for them to commit to a fantasy baseball league.

Quitting just because you're a quitter isn't cool, but I can see why someone might need to quit the league even if they honestly never intended to do so when they signed up for it.

More DL slots = More interesting dynasty league

I think 4 would be a good number. I think encouraging player movement and constant roster evaluation and re-evaluation could only do good things for the league.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm not going to be quitting the league now or anytime in the future, but I think it's unfair to call someone's reputation into question if unforeseen events in someone's life make it impossible for them to commit to a fantasy baseball league.

Quitting just because you're a quitter isn't cool, but I can see why someone might need to quit the league even if they honestly never intended to do so when they signed up for it.
    Agreed.

Wow, WillyMo, something we actually agree on.
    More DL slots = More interesting dynasty league

I think 4 would be a good number. I think encouraging player movement and constant roster evaluation and re-evaluation could only do good things for the league.
    I think it would have the opposite effect. Normally you might be able to find some decent players available in the league that are on the DL. If we add 4 DL spots and add roster spots too chances are that all of those players will already be taken. So no roster evaluation needed. The more DL/roster spots the less movement we'll see. The only time it would help a team is IF the team is hit by ALOT of injuries at once and only to starters and/or elite prospects. I don't think that'll happen THAT often. But when it does happen trades can always help.

Like I've said before, it looks like we'll have at least 1 more DL spots and a couple more roster spots. So even a team hit by injuries would have it easier next year. I'd much rather we go with that than to go overboard. We can always tweak things again after the 2nd year if needed.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 08-11-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Turn Off Ads?