Turn Off Ads?

Thread: About that GM League

About that GM League

Last year, I asked around regarding interest in a realistic GM league. I'm here to gather interest in it one more time. If we can get the necessary participation, we'll give it a shot. But I do have an interesting twist I want to gauge.

Essentially, we'll take some shortcuts in year one to accommodate CBS Sportsline Fantasy Commissioner features. Instead of the "runs scored" and "runs allowed", I'm working on a proposed point system to take into account various events that affect a game. There would be seven categories with each category being a win.

But here's what I would need:

* 24 owners, picking an MLB city from either the NL or AL, and coming up with your own 'nickname' for that city. We would be asking for about $25 from each owner per season, with roughly $10 going for expenses and the other $15 would be pooled for winnings.

* There will be four divisions of 6 teams, 2 in each league

* There would be 23 weeks in the regular season, each scoring period against an opponent with (7) games (categories). 161 games total.

* (8) teams in the playoffs, four division champions and four wildcards, for a total of (3) playoff weeks.

* Lastly, I need to know if other people interested in being PLAYER AGENTS. Yes, you heard that right. Are you interested in representing the players themselves with contract negotiations, exercising options and determining whether or not to go to arbitration? There would be a $5 or $10 admin fee, but you would be competing against other player agents for rewards and winnings based on the money you get your clients, yet avoiding arbitration, dealing with GM's well, etc. This is an experimental idea, but I want to see if there's interest. I would like to start with roughly 8 agents, but this idea can be scrapped if we don't have the interest.

-----------------

FORMAT

* Active MLB roster (23) players, 40-man roster and a minor league system of up to (60) players to hold prospects and let them develop

* MLB, Split & Minor League contracts with realistic salaries and a salary cap that will have payroll deducted throughout the year, challenging teams to stay under the cap by the end of the season. If you go over, you will have a tax that gets distributed to teams in your division the following year. Contracts will be structured like MLB, with player, club & mutual options and buyouts for those options as well as guaranteed seasons. Signing bonuses are also available, paid in the first year. In the proposed format, if we can pull it off, you would be negotiating with the player agents and they decide who to sign with. The shortcut version would award bids based on annual value of the deal (but we'll cross that bridge if we're unable to pull this off).

* Players would accrue service time (20 scoring periods constitutes a full season of service with each week being .05 of a season). Three (3) years constitutes arbitration eligible and six (6) years constitutes free agency. There is also Super-2 eligibility. Additionally, players have three (3) option seasons to be reserved when on the 40-man roster and activated.

* Clubs would decide each year whether or not to tender their arbitration-eligible players. If tendered, player agents would decide whether to go to arbitration. There will still be an opportunity to go to reach an agreement before arbitration, but in any event, where size of the pay raise either by settlement or arbitration will count in favor of the agent for rewards, losing in arbitration would not. For Arbitration, there is a fantasy baseball service that would handle our arbitration for a flat fee (included in the amount I gave). Essentially, if it gets to arbitration, the club and agent would both give a figure, and the arbitration service would render the winner - having a arbitration winner's ratio of not more than 60/40 each year for clubs or agents. In other words, they would make sure each side gets a fair amount of arbitration wins each year.

* Trades, waivers, etc. would be almost identical to the real thing. There would be a trade deadline of week 18 (ish) for non-waiver trades. There will be a spreadsheet form where you can submit a waiver claim, and I would have this set up where it should automate a response, posting a message on the league message board about a waiver being made. Claims will be made to a designated third party who will award them as necessary. Teams will have the option to pull back the revocable claims, but outright waivers or a second revocable claim on a player will be irrevocable. Cash will be able to be traded with 50% traded at the time of the trade and the other 50% of the amount the following July (to avoid tax manipulation).

* There would be an annual rookie draft which would cover all the players from the previous MLB amateur draft. You would negotiate with the agents, who would have their own draft for representation of these players.

* There would be a Rule 5 draft. Essentially, players in your minor league system more than 4 years must be protected on your 40-man roster or exposed to the Rule 5 draft. Also, players with MLB experience of more than 'x' amount of games (TBD) will also need to be protected. Teams wishing to draft a player in the Rule 5 draft, though, must not only put that player on their 40-man roster but keep them in the active lineup all season, otherwise must sell the player back at half-price of the original fee (which is $50,000 for Rule 5 picks).

If the player agent aspect doesn't work out, there are some available workarounds, such as an automated Arbitration number for the player's figure as well as the mentioned average annual value being the criteria for high bids on a free agent. But obviously the human interaction would be more interesting, more fluid (and arguably much more fun).

I'm just getting settled down to a new place, so it's been hectic. I still have to make sure I'll be good to get this kind of thing going the next few weeks, on top of having another league I'm considering joining.

But do we have interest for this? 24 owners and approx. 8 player agents.

What say you?

PS - My thinking is that the team you pick would grant you their minor league organization to start with, but we would have a straight draft to fill major league rosters for now. You would be assuming their current contract & status, knowing you must fit that player within the salary cap.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: About that GM League

You're actually considering joining another league, in adition to this

Good luck!

Sounds cool, except:

1. I'm in my 1st year of Fantasy, and this sounds like something you would want at least 10 years of experience for. Plus I already have a league.

2. Sounds like it would take a lot of time.

3. $25 of real money. Too many free leagues out there for that, however if this is the only place that supports what you're looking to do, then okay.

It does sound like a whole lot of fun though. Once again--

Good luck!

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I'm in. I have a lot of free time in Korea. a lot... I'm assuming you will commish this juggernaut? What if in the interest of time we went away from the 60 man minor league roster and maintained just a major league 40? With 100 players to keep up with this will be crazy. Or just a smaller total number of players in our control. If we are expecting 8 player agents to keep up with 2400 players we are asking way too much. drop that down to 1,000-1,200 and it is more manageable. Either way I'm in. just pm me when we are ready.

What about a standard 20 man minor league roster. Keep who you want on it. Those minor leaguers that are not on anyone's 20 man will fall into the first time player draft for us. No waiver wire minor league pick-ups... yay nay?
    Last edited by thatcoolguy_22; 02-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I'm in. I have a lot of free time in Korea. a lot... I'm assuming you will commish this juggernaut? What if in the interest of time we went away from the 60 man minor league roster and maintained just a major league 40? With 100 players to keep up with this will be crazy. Or just a smaller total number of players in our control. If we are expecting 8 player agents to keep up with 2400 players we are asking way too much. drop that down to 1,000-1,200 and it is more manageable. Either way I'm in. just pm me when we are ready.

What about a standard 20 man minor league roster. Keep who you want on it. Those minor leaguers that are not on anyone's 20 man will fall into the first time player draft for us. No waiver wire minor league pick-ups... yay nay?
    It's something to think about. The way I see it, though, once the minor league rosters are established, there's not much maintenance necessary. Honestly the only thing you will be doing with them (after they're signed) is simply roster protection each offseason, the occasional release/sign of minor league free agents and sticking guys on the 40-man roster when you want to activate them. Your ideas are something to consider, for sure. It isn't as daunting as it sounds, though, to keep that minor league system. It's mostly just upkeep and then having the amateur draft each year.

As far as the player agents, I agree that it might be a bit harder on their end, but we could essentially make it where their interaction isn't necessary until a player reaches the majors / 40-man, thus cutting down on the amount of work for them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?