Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

Re: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Other issues that will need to be resolved after we are done with the DL issue:

1. Expanded roster size.
    2. Trade protest procedure.
    3. Pre-season draft rules.
    4. Possible change in starting lineup slots.
    5. What to do if we have owners abandoning their team or tanking the season to improve their draft slot.
    6. Determining waiver priority at the beginning of seasons.

Hopefully we can come to quick consensus on these issues and have a great league again next year without any unfairness or arguing.

If you have any more ideas or suggestions please let me know.
    The DL issue and roster size kinda go hand in hand imo. But it might not be a bad idea to move #5 up and tackle that after the DL/roster issue since it seems like alot of people have that on their mind.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is my team the team that's supposedly tanking? My team's pitching is pretty bad, but I've been getting more points out of my pitching than from my offense. Before the season started, would any of you guessed that this would be the worst offense in the league? And this is my offense after I traded Albert Pujols for pitching.

C Geovany Soto
    1B Carlos Pena
    2B Brian Roberts
    3B Alex Gordon
    SS Stephen Drew
    IF James Loney
    OF B.J. Upton
    OF Vladimir Guerrero
    OF Milton Bradley
    UT Jim Thome
    UT Rick Ankiel
    BN Garrett Atkins
    BN Edwin Encarnacion
    BN Russell Martin
    BN Yunel Escobar
    BN Jack Cust
    BN Ian Stewart
    BN Delmon Young
    BN Chase Headley
    BN Jeff Clement

Nope!

Nice to have you back camisa...

Well, I know your team was hit by injuries camisadelgolf but I think that's why I did a double-take when you picked up Milton Bradley (aka Mr Brittle).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Is my team the team that's supposedly tanking? My team's pitching is pretty bad, but I've been getting more points out of my pitching than from my offense. Before the season started, would any of you guessed that this would be the worst offense in the league? And this is my offense after I traded Albert Pujols for pitching.

C Geovany Soto
    1B Carlos Pena
    2B Brian Roberts
    3B Alex Gordon
    SS Stephen Drew
    IF James Loney
    OF B.J. Upton
    OF Vladimir Guerrero
    OF Milton Bradley
    UT Jim Thome
    UT Rick Ankiel
    BN Garrett Atkins
    BN Edwin Encarnacion
    BN Russell Martin
    BN Yunel Escobar
    BN Jack Cust
    BN Ian Stewart
    BN Delmon Young
    BN Chase Headley
    BN Jeff Clement
    Nobody has been tanking so far, certainly not you. The tanking issue is merely on the table so that we have a policy in place should tanking ever occur in our league. I did not mean to insinuate that anyone has been tanking this year.

Your offense definitely looked good at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately injuries have taken their toll. Some of your players have not performed up to what everyone predicted either. Guys like Soto, Gordon, Atkins, Thome, Encarnacion and Martin have been good hitters in previous years but have not played well this year for whatever reason. Is there a good chance they will revert back to career norms next season?

Final Results of DL Slot Survey

Well the results are in. Everybody in the league voted. Hopefully this will allow us to come to a friendly consensus.

The votes ranged from 2 DL slots all the way up to unlimited DL slots.

2 - nate
    2 - TRF's debacle
    2 - The Basecloggers
    2 - redsfandan
    2 - mbgrayson
    3 - CRF2000 ("at least 3 DL spots")
    3 - Gilpdawg ("2-4 spots")
    3 - stephenk29
    4 - Atomic Dumpling
    4 - WMR Ghetty Green
    4 - reds77
    Unlimited - camisadelgolf

Average = 3.0

I grouped the votes into three groups:

2 Slots ---- 5 votes
    3 Slots ---- 3 votes
    4+ Slots -- 4 votes

The results show that everyone agrees we need more than one DL slot, which is what we have now. Some people feel just one additional slot is needed, some feel that is not nearly enough.

I am democratically ruling in favor of 3 slots because that is right in the middle of all the votes. Almost everybody voted within plus or minus one slot of the final decision, so hopefully we can all agree to meet in the middle at 3 DL Slots.

We will try that configuration next season. We might possibly revisit the issue again late next season after we see the results of the rule change.

Incidentally there are 35 players on our rosters that are on the MLB DL, which comes out to 3 per team on average. One team has 0, two teams have 2, six teams have 3, two teams have 4, and one team has 5. If we had the 3 DL slot rule in effect right now we would have 31 players on the league DL. The other four would not be eligible because of the team limit of 3 players on the DL.

Now we can move on to the next issue, which will be roster size. It has been suggested that we increase the roster size to allow for holding some more prospects. I will create another post with more information. The DL slot increase may affect your opinion on the roster size.

One team has 0, two teams have 2, six teams have 3, two teams have 4, and one team has 5.
    That's me!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    That's me!
    Sucks for you. Your team has been doing well lately though.

High five!

Can you even do 3 DL slots? Don't they have to be split between offense and pitching or are they flexible?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Can you even do 3 DL slots? Don't they have to be split between offense and pitching or are they flexible?
    The DL slots are flexible.

The position of the player has no effect on his eligibility for the DL. If he is on the real MLB Disabled List he can be placed on our fantasy DL.

Once he is is activated from the real MLB Disabled List he must be activated from your fantasy team DL before Yahoo will allow you to make any other roster moves.

It should work out fine. We will go with 3 slots for the 2010 season. If it doesn't work out we can revisit the issue again late next year.

Sucks for you. Your team has been doing well lately though.
    Yeah, I'm pretty enthusiastic about the future considering I'm in 7th with a bunch of elementary kids...

Rules changes for Redszone Dynasty League Season 2 - 2010

Innings limit raised from 1325 to 1350.
    Judging by the innings usage in the league this season it makes sense to bump the limit up a little bit. We are already well above the standard Yahoo limit of 1250, but we can bump it up a little bit more. This is a very minor change that will not have much effect.

Roster Size Increase
    This will be put up to a vote in a separate post. Current roster size is 29.

Season 2 Draft
    The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the dropped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2 Waiver Priority
    Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Trade Protests
    Trades can be protested only if cheating or collusion is suspected. Trades may not be protested due to being unbalanced, lopsided or stupid. If a trade is protested both owners may state their reasons for making the trade before a decision is made. If after the explanations anyone in the league still suspects cheating or collusion then an annonymous vote will be held and 6 or more votes against the trade will nullify it. Owners involved in the trade do not vote, even if they have changed their mind about the trade.

Procedure to prevent tanking, negligence and abandonment
    In order to keep the league fair, competitive and fun we need to ensure all owners pay attention all season long and try to field the best team they can every day. On occasions where an owner's attention wanes it is the commissioner's duty to urge that owner to do a better job. Of course there are justifiable reasons why an owner may neglect his team for a couple days (vacation, sickness etc) so there will be reminders and warnings before resorting to sanctions. If an owner leaves injured players or minor leaguers in his starting lineup or leaves star players on his bench for more than a few days the following process will be initiated:

1st occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
    2nd occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
    3rd occurence -- A warning will be sent
    4th occurence -- Offending owner's waiver priority will be set to 12
    5th occurence -- Offending owner will lose his 1st round draft pick the following year
    6th occurence -- Offending owner will not be invited back the following year

In the event an owner quits mid-season the commissioner must:
    1. Appoint a replacement owner if technically possible, or if not
    2. He must replace injured/demoted players in the starting lineup with the highest ranked player available on the team at that position. If no player on the team can fill the position the highest ranked free agent must be added and the worst player dropped. Any disputes must be voted on leaguewide. No trades can be made.

Disabled List Slots
    There will be three DL slots as determined by a league vote last month.

Commissioner
    If anyone is unhappy with a ruling or decision made by the Commish we can have a discussion followed by a vote. Just post your comments on the message board to initiate the process.

If there are any other issues that need to be clarified or changed for next season please bring them to my attention ASAP.

Thanks!

-- The Commissioner

IMPORTANT NOTE --

Please keep your lineups updated!

For the integrity of the league we need to make sure everyone attempts to field the best team they can every day.

Make sure you do not have have injured players or minor leaguers in your starting lineup.

While your team may not have a chance to win the championship it is still important to compete as well as you can. Your team's performance affects the ranks of other teams and hence has a major impact on the league standings.

Everyone has done an awesome job of this for the most part, but we have had a couple of minor issues lately.

Since this is a long term, competitive dynasty league it is important to maintain our superior standards and keep the league healthy and fun for years to come.

Thanks!

-- The Commissioner (Atomic Dumpling)

Atomic,

Here's a suggestion that you guys might (or might not) find useful regarding 'tanking.'

A league I'm in has keepers, and we have been using this for a few years and it's helped tremendously. We make the draft order reverse order of finish, but the "first" pick starts with the team that finishes somewhere around the place nearest the 33rd percentile.

For instance, if we have 9 teams in a season (we do NL-only in this league), then 6th place would get the first pick the next year (we do Auction league, so this is for the reserve draft). So 6th place would get first pick, 7th place would get second, 8th place third, 9th place fourth, then 5th place would get fifth pick.. and back down the line until 1st place gets the last pick.

What this does is give incentives for teams to stay competitive even if it means not being able to win a championship. So far, since we went back to this procedure, it's really helped a ton.

Just food for thought. Hoped maybe it might be something to look at.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Roster Size

It is time to discuss the issue of roster size for next year. Please post your thoughts here, and/or on the league message board. Do not cast your vote yet. I think it will work better to discuss the issue first, then vote later.

I will frame the issue and then open it up for discussion:

Currently our roster size is 29. It has been suggested that we increase the roster size beginning in Season 2. Due to injuries, demotions and having minor league prospects some teams in our league have had difficulty maintaining enough active players to complete their starting lineup every day. This has led to some problems.

Ultimately we would like to simulate being a real General Manager as closely as possible. This means each team needs to have a complete starting lineup, a versatile bench of reserve players and a promising group of minor league prospects.

What roster size is ideal?
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 09-21-2009 at 03:11 AM.

Turn Off Ads?