Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

High five!

Re: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

I would propose this for hitters:

BA either stays the same or becomes OBP
    RBI changes to SLG

For pitchers, it's hard to say. I would prefer FIP to ERA but beyond that, I'm not sure what works to replace team stats like Wins and Saves.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Another thought, RBI becomes OBI% which is the percentage of baserunners scored.

It kinda seems like you two (nate & trf) need to put your heads together about what kind of stat changes you'd like exactly and how to convince the league to make a switch. I'm not THAT much of a stat geek and OBI% is a new one to me. I also don't think it's a possibility. Here are the possible stat categories in yahoo:

Batters

Games Played
    Games Started
    At Bats
    Runs
    Hits
    Singles
    Doubles
    Triples
    Home Runs
    Runs Batted In
    Sacrifice Hits
    Sacrifice Flys
    Stolen Bases
    Caught Stealing
    Walks
    Intentional Walks
    Hit By Pitch
    Strikeouts
    Ground Into Double Play
    Total Bases
    Putouts
    Assists
    Errors
    Fielding Percentage
    Batting Average
    On-base Percentage
    Slugging Percentage
    On-base + Slugging Percentage
    Extra Base Hits
    Net Stolen Bases
    Stolen Base Percentage
    Hitting for the Cycle
    Plate Appearances
    Grand Slam Home Runs
    Outfield Assists
    Double Plays Turned
    Catcher Interference

Pitchers

Pitching Appearances
    Games Started
    Innings Pitched
    Wins
    Losses
    Complete Games
    Shutouts
    Saves
    Outs
    Hits
    Total Batters Faced
    Runs
    Earned Runs
    Home Runs
    Walks
    Intentional Walks
    Hit Batters
    Strikeouts
    Wild Pitches
    Balks
    Stolen Bases Allowed
    Batters Grounded Into Double Plays
    Save Chances
    Holds
    Total Bases Allowed
    Earned Run Average
    (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched
    Strikeouts per Walk Ratio
    Strikeouts per Nine Innings
    Pitch Count
    Singles Allowed
    Doubles Allowed
    Triples Allowed
    Relief Wins
    Relief Losses
    Pickoffs
    Relief Appearances
    On-base Percentage Against
    Winning Percentage
    Hits Per Nine Innings
    Walks Per Nine Innings
    No Hitters
    Perfect Games
    Save Percentage
    Inherited Runners Scored
    Quality Starts
    Blown Saves
    Net Saves

Keep in mind that the league was created as a basic fantasy baseball league. If you make any proposed changes too 'sabremetric' there's bound to be some opposition. That's just reality.

High five!

I'm not sure I directly want "sabremetric," I just want to increase the number of stats that are less team and more player dependent; I think it makes the league more interesting.

From that list, I like:

BATTERS
    Hit type (either each type or maybe hits and extra-base hits)
    BA
    OBP
    SLG

PITCHERS
    BB/9
    K/9
    WHIP (not my favorite but OK)

Eight owners have officially signed in to the league so far. I am entering the rosters for each team as the owners join. Unfortunately you won't be able see your players on your team page until I enter the rosters for every team and officially "Begin the Season" as Yahoo terms it. So as soon as all twelve owners are signed up you will be able to start evaluating your team and it's strengths and weaknesses.

Still waiting for WMR, camisadelgolf, gilpdawg and Reds77. I emailed them and PMed them, so hopefully they will get logged in soon.

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Unfortunately you won't be able see your players on your team page until I enter the rosters for every team and officially "Begin the Season" as Yahoo terms it. So as soon as all twelve owners are signed up you will be able to start evaluating your team and it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Although people can always go to the league home page and click on the drop down box to season 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I vote to keep the stats as they are.
    I agree. This is a dynasty league. We picked players with a known set of stats that were going to be used. To change those stats now really changes the whole basis of the league.

I personally like many of the sabermetric stats, and I agree that they are better measures of real player value. But if I drafted a guy who will gets 'wins' because he is on a winning team that scores a lot of runs, just for getting points in the 'Wins' category, I would feel ripped off if 'wins' were replaced by a better stat.

I think the stats should be discussed and agreed on when a dynasty league is formed, not a year after the players were drafted.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I agree. This is a dynasty league. We picked players with a known set of stats that were going to be used. To change those stats now really changes the whole basis of the league.

I personally like many of the sabermetric stats, and I agree that they are better measures of real player value. But if I drafted a guy who will gets 'wins' because he is on a winning team that scores a lot of runs, just for getting points in the 'Wins' category, I would feel ripped off if 'wins' were replaced by a better stat.

I think the stats should be discussed and agreed on when a dynasty league is formed, not a year after the players were drafted.
    I don't think changing a few stats would necessitate an extreme roster overhaul. It's likely a pitcher, for example, with a lot of wins is good at either striking out batters or not walking them or both. It's likely that a guy who hits for average has a good OBP. It's likely that a guy who hits HR has a high SLG. It's likely that a guy with a lot of RBI is a good OBP and SLG man.

I can't even remember who I have on my roster but I'm not really concerned about it changing things too much. And if so, that's part of the fun.

If we agree to change a stat, I think we should wait until 2011 or 2012 to actually implement the change.

Still waiting for Reds77 and WMR to sign up for the league. I can't finalize everyone's rosters until all 12 teams have signed up.

Everybody has signed in to the league website now. I have entered in the complete rosters for every team in the league. You can now go to your team page and view all your players and set your lineup to see how things are shaping up for your team this year.

You can also go to the free agent list to see which players will be available in the draft this year. Obviously, you are not allowed to pick up any free agents at this time.

Please make sure the email address you have registered with the Yahoo league website is an address you check regularly. I will be sending out league updates periodically with news regarding the draft and any other issues that may come up this spring.

Please also check the Redszone fantasy forum thread and the league website message board on a regular basis for news and chatter. Feel free to post messages with your thoughts about the league, trade needs and any fantasy baseball chitchat.

All team owners are encouraged to begin making trades with other teams to help fill holes in your lineup or improve your squad.

Let's make this a fun, active and vibrant league again this year.

Good luck!

High five!

Here's an article that offers some food for thought on the issue of OBP vs. BA in fantasy leagues.

Thanks for the link nate. I'm all for switching to obp BUT I just wouldn't want the switch to be effective until NEXT year.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 02-13-2010 at 03:55 PM.

So can we trade prior to the draft?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?