Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

Re: Redszone Dynasty League - Discussion Thread

oh, it's brought. BTW I got a HR last night hasn't shown up on the scoreboard.

NM It's there.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-06-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yay! Averageness!

To manage my draft, I use a piece of software called RotoLab. It links with Ron Shandler's baseball Forcaster and uses those projections for each player to project overall how everyone is going to do in each stat category. As the draft progressed, i entered each choice into the software, although i may have missed a few picks since my last draft pick. The projections also depend on who is played in the slots that count on each roster, and no credit is given for bench players.

Here are the category leaders as projected by Rotolab:

Wins: nate
    Saves: Camis
    StrikeOuts: Gilpdawg
    Era: TRF
    WHIP: Atomic Dumpling
    Runs: mbgrayson
    HRs: mbgrayson
    RBIs: stephenk
    Steals: mbgrayson
    Avg.: redsfandan

This software has me leading overall, but then it should, since I often followed the 'advice' of this software in drafting.(It rates Baseclogger second...) And as we all know, none of the projection systems are all that accurate, no better than about 70% at best. I also used PECOTA from Baseball Prospectus, Bill James Handbook projections, Sporting News, and the Rotowire draft guide. I generally looked for younger players since this is a dynasty league. I then compiled these five rating systems into a spreasheet of players I was interested in, and looked for players that were highly rated in multiple systems, with heavier emphasis on Shandler and Baseball Prospectus ratings. Later in the draft, I looked at spring training numbers, and especially injury reports, to make some decisions. I also used the Baseball America 2009 Prospect Guide and John Sickels 2009 Prospect Book to rank prospects.

I have tried drafting by the seat of my pants before, and I tend to do better with a more systematic (and obsessive) approach. But there are so many factors that come into play, like injuries. I already have Joe Mauer, Scott Baker, and Joey Devine on the DL, and only one DL slot available.

I do find that fantasy baseball makes me better enjoy baseball in general. I think I can name the closers on almost every team now, when before I couldn't have done that...

Ok, I spilled my secrets....what approach do you guys all use?
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I make a spreadsheet for hitters, but not pitchers. I just project each hitter's numbers based on their career stats and how I feel about them. Then I come up with z scores including position scarcity and use that as a guide, but I still just sort of go by personal opinion...

edit: I find it interesting that I am projected to finish 2nd overall but not 1st in any individual category...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 04-08-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Wow. I am impressed with your diligence and effort. It will be very interesting to see if it pays off. I am going to win the league, but hopefully your system will earn you second place.

How much did all those resources cost you?

I did a lot of research on prospects and really learned a lot. I made a spreadsheet to graph out the rankings of all the various experts. Other than the top 10 or so prospects the experts were all over the map with their opinions. I didn't take too many prospects because I wanted to win this year while also having a solid foundation for future seasons. There is a new crop of prospects every year right?

I was familiar enough with the established players to wing it somewhat. I take the best player available without worrying too much about positions until late in the draft.

I tried to concentrate on all 10 stats. I tend to draft teams without any stolen bases, so I made a concerted effort to take some guys that steal bases this time.

I am confident that my team will be pretty good at all ten stat categories. I may not win any of them, but I will be in double figures in nearly every category if my predictions are accurate.

I tend to mix and match players a lot rather than using the same lineup every day. That may confuse the Shandler program a bit. My team is also likely to look very different in September than it does in April. I like to make trades and swap out free agents.

Well, this is going to be a very fun season. I can't wait to see who rises to the top and wins the inaugural championship. Probably me.

Never seen so much premature self-back slapping in one post.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Never seen so much premature self-back slapping in one post.
    You haven't seen anything yet partner.

High five!

I used tea leaves to pick my players.

Ok, I spilled my secrets....what approach do you guys all use?
    voodoo.

That and I wanted to dominate in pitching, which i tend to view as undervalued in fantasy leagues. For offense I wanted a mix of vets and high upside 1st and 2nd year players, hence Schafer, Cruz, Bonifacio and Baker added to players on the comeback trail, Lopez, Blalock, Furcal and Johnson.

It's a volatile mix, and one that could backfire, but its an interesting offense.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-08-2009 at 09:58 AM.

I wanted a squad that would give me a chance to compete this season but would also be good--and hopefully getting better--for years to come. All my players asides from a couple still have quite a bit of upside, especially my pitching. I like my pitching as much or more than anyone's. I really, really love my young pitching.

Liriano
    Nolasco
    Papelbon
    Jenks
    Danks
    Garza
    Slowey
    Volstad
    Kuroda
    Sheets
    Tommy Hanson
    Neftali Feliz
    Jose Ceda

You ladies are going to make this season a cakewalk. I'll consider this my crowning Fantasy Baseball achievement when I win this league. I may even retire. Nothing left to prove after decimating all of you.

first major smack talk of the season.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You ladies are going to make this season a cakewalk. I'll consider this my crowning Fantasy Baseball achievement when I win this league. I may even retire. Nothing left to prove after decimating all of you.

first major smack talk of the season.
    Oh yeah?

first major comeback of the season.

I am officially put in my place.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I am officially put in my place.
    I've got you right where I want you!

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I've got you right where I want you!
    in first? excellent strategy. I applaud your efforts and keen tactical mind.

Turn Off Ads?