Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Just posted from Fay this morning and the details should be announced soon. I'm glad they worked something out.

Story: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Re: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Just posted from Fay this morning and the details should be announced soon. I'm glad they worked something out.

Story: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    Per the blog, two year deal, financials not announced yet, pending a physical. I figured they'd work something out.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Good...now they get down to playing some baseball. Here is hoping Edwin earns it, and some.

Amen.

Didnt realize he and Willy T were good friends until I read the mlb.com article on Willy.

Maybe this contract and being around someone close will loosen Edwin up, let him relax, have fun and hit and field like he's capable. I expect a good to great year from him.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Amen.

Didnt realize he and Willy T were good friends until I read the mlb.com article on Willy.

Maybe this contract and being around someone close will loosen Edwin up, let him relax, have fun and hit and field like he's capable. I expect a good to great year from him.
    I hope he doesn't relax so much at the hot corner that he starts throwing the ball to his "friend" in CF. That would be... not good.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm not a big fan of two-year deals for young players. Either buy out some of his free-agent years, or just go to arbitration with him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals for young players.
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals because the Reds FO has been so bad at figuring out the market lately. a player like EdE may be worth significantly less in 2010. Plus one of the young third sackers may displace him soon.

but since JimBo would have given him 2yr-$10mill per year, we're at least better than we used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals because the Reds FO has been so bad at figuring out the market lately. a player like EdE may be worth significantly less in 2010. Plus one of the young third sackers may displace him soon.
    I guess they don't think much of these "young third sackers'" short term prospects or they wouldn't have re-upped him for 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I guess they don't think much of these "young third sackers'" short term prospects or they wouldn't have re-upped him for 2 years.

a lot of procrastination in the Reds' minors right now. can't even decide on positions.

one idea is that Walt doesn't think these guys will ever amount to much, and wants them to generate big numbers prior to trading them off. he did a lot of that in St Louis, and was usually correct.

nm

Good for Edwin! It's seems like a pretty good deal for both EE and the Reds.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals for young players. Either buy out some of his free-agent years, or just go to arbitration with him.
    EE's ego is delicate enough without being subjected to the trashing that occurs during an arb hearing.

This takes some pressure off EE, hopefully will allow him to relax and just play ball, and also seems to be a fair deal, at least, for the Reds.

This team really needs for Eddie to step up and play well at 3B. IMO, he'd make a great #4 hitter b/w Bruce and Votto.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    EE's ego is delicate enough without being subjected to the trashing that occurs during an arb hearing.

This takes some pressure off EE, hopefully will allow him to relax and just play ball, and also seems to be a fair deal, at least, for the Reds.

This team really needs for Eddie to step up and play well at 3B. IMO, he'd make a great #4 hitter b/w Bruce and Votto.
    Hopefully, EEE will step up his game and prove me wrong…BUT…I’ve been hoping EEE won’t bat 4th and between Bruce & Votto in ‘09.

IMO, his mental game is too fragile to handle batting clean-up. A muffed grounder here and a bad throw there can easily put him in a 1-for-19 cold streak at the plate.

I looked at some numbers and found that EEE has hit a career .263 (64-for-273) when batting fourth BUT has batted .212 from the fourth slot over 2007 & 2008 (21-for-99) and batted only .190 (11-for-58) while batting fourth in 2008. He was a .235 hitter vs RHP in '08.

Did You Know? EEE is a .340 career hitter when batting in the 7th slot (.315 in 2008).
    Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 02-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.

I'm hoping Edwin hits cleanup. He's a much better option there than Brandon Phillips. JMO.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm hoping Edwin hits cleanup. He's a much better option there than Brandon Phillips. JMO.
    I agree. Edwin doesn't appear to alter his hitting approach when he's in the 4 slot or somewhere else. Brandon, however, turns into a completely different guy in the 4 slot. It's almost as if he's trying to force himself into becoming a homerun hitter when he's there. It's the one slot I don't want Brandon in at all. I think he could be successful in just about any other slot though.

Turn Off Ads?