Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Re: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Hmmm...

10:24am: Troy Renck of the Denver Post has details:

Encarnacion will receive $2MM this season and $4.75MM in 2010 with an $850K signing bonus payable between March 29 and November 2009. Also will get $25K for 600 plate appearances.
    My prediction: The Reds will not be paying that $4.75 million salary in 2010.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Looks like the Reds don't think the economy will turn around until 2010.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'm not high on Encarnacion's long-term future with the club, but they don't have any better options than him right now. Hopefully the economy doesn't continue to tank and leave the Reds holding the bag for a deal far in excess of what he would receive in arbitration or what they could get from a FA by non-tendering him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Looks like the Reds don't think the economy will turn around until 2010.
    I was thinking the opposite

Reds seem to have paid EdE as if they will no longer be able to get cheap FAs next winter.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Things I'm told
    The Reds avoided arbitration and reached agreement on a two year deal with Edwin Encarnacion this morning.
    Edwin made $450,000 in 2008. He had requested 3.7 mill in arbitration. The Reds had offered 2.55 mill.
    Total deal: $7,600,506
    2009: $2,000,000
    2010: $4,750,000
    Signing bonus - $850,000, payable between March 2009 and November 2009.
    Plus: $25,000 for 600 plate appearances
    Plus: $25,000 for All Star; $50,000 for LCS/MVP;
    $100,000 for WS/MVP; $50,000 for Gold Glove; $50,000 for Silver Slugger.
    Edwin will donate 1% of base salaries and signing bonus to Reds Community Fund.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html
    They should have taken the $850,000 signing bonus and tied it into the Gold Glove bonus...that'd be a sure thing. If he qualifies for a GG, he'll be worth a lot more than $2.9Mil.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Reasonable deal, with the potential to be a real bargain for the Reds if EE continues to develop his power. And, if he has plateaued, a contract that will still be easy to move.

Well done, Walt.

And, I disagree with whomever thought this contract shows a lack of Reds interest in the coming 3b pipeline. I disagree. This will only be Frazier's first year at AAA, and they still have not settled on a position for him. Francisco is only in his first year at AA. If Francisco is who they have their eye on, this gives him time to continue to develop.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

Reds seem to have paid EdE as if they will no longer be able to get cheap FAs next winter.
    I agree. If these numbers are right, EE asked for 3.7 mill, and the Reds said: hey we have a deal for you, listen to this- we'll pay you that amount, and throw in a little bit more, not just for this year, but for next year, too. Is that OK, Edwin?

sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Reasonable deal, with the potential to be a real bargain for the Reds if EE continues to develop his power. And, if he has plateaued, a contract that will still be easy to move.

Well done, Walt.

And, I disagree with whomever thought this contract shows a lack of Reds interest in the coming 3b pipeline. I disagree. This will only be Frazier's first year at AAA, and they still have not settled on a position for him. Francisco is only in his first year at AA. If Francisco is who they have their eye on, this gives him time to continue to develop.
    AA too.
    Last edited by Screwball; 02-17-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I agree. If these numbers are right, EE asked for 3.7 mill, and the Reds said: hey we have a deal for you, listen to this- we'll pay you that amount, and throw in a little bit more, not just for this year, but for next year, too. Is that OK, Edwin?
    Not sure I follow... Edwin's getting $2.85 million this year, so this year's dollars are closer to what the Reds offered than what he was asking for.

As for '10, it's kind of an all-or-nothing deal to me. If he's playing poorly enough that we regret having that $4.75 million on the books, he'll probably lose his job altogether.

The part that concerns me is, instead of just signing him for $2.85 million this year, there's a "signing bonus" that the Reds can defer all the way to November. Makes me wonder if they're concerned about cash flow.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Not sure I follow... Edwin's getting $2.85 million this year, so this year's dollars are closer to what the Reds offered than what he was asking for.

As for '10, it's kind of an all-or-nothing deal to me. If he's playing poorly enough that we regret having that $4.75 million on the books, he'll probably lose his job altogether.

The part that concerns me is, instead of just signing him for $2.85 million this year, there's a "signing bonus" that the Reds can defer all the way to November. Makes me wonder if they're concerned about cash flow.
    Well, I just doubled the 3.7 for 2 years, and saw the Reds were paying above that for the total deal. I was speaking more to the Reds view of the economy than anything else. In a "normal" economy, this deal is pretty fair, I think. In this current economy, I think it looks more fair to Edwin than the Reds. I feel like the Reds would have won arb with EE, but not sure his ego could handle a bruising arbitration session. What i get out of this is that I think the businessmen who run the Reds feel this economy is going to be a short term thing. Either that, or they are very high on Edwin being a long term answer at 3B.
    sorry we're boring

If Edwin hits 33 homeruns this year with an OPS around .860 or so, this deal will be great from the Reds' perspective.

Even if he "only" hits around 26 homeruns again this year with an OPS around .820 it will still be a fair deal at $4.75 million for 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    And, I disagree with whomever thought this contract shows a lack of Reds interest in the coming 3b pipeline. I disagree. This will only be Frazier's first year at AAA, and they still have not settled on a position for him.
    Reds are sandbagging Frazier, who should have spent a half-year in Chattanooga last summer. they might not like him, but I suspect that he's heard that all his life. he'll show 'em different, I think.

in fact, in spite of the sandbagging, I suspect that he'll be ready this year. In which case, it's unfortunate that the guy that you just might want to nontender has a guarantee for 2010. it cuts off that option. Kudos to EdE's agent.

at least the Reds can't figure out positions for either of 'em. Gold Glove incentive... I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    If the Reds offered 2.55 this year, there is no way EE accepted $5 for 2 years....that doesnt make any "cents"

Edit, never mind.. it looks like 2 years and about 7.5 million..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    My prediction: The Reds will not be paying that $4.75 million salary in 2010.
    Unless EdE steps it up, I don't think anyone else will be willing to pay that salary. I predict the Reds will end up paying it. (If he plays well enough to earn it, they won't want to trade him).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

nm

Turn Off Ads?