Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Volquez sees room for improvement

Volquez sees room for improvement

Volquez sees room for improvement
    All-Star starter believes he can top 17-win Reds debut

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- If Reds starting pitcher Edinson Volquez strains from the pressure of trying to be successful, he barely shows it.

Constantly wearing a grin on his face, Volquez often kept the same pleasant demeanor last season following a thrilling win or a stinging loss. So how does the right-hander approach the new season after one in which he became an All-Star and 17-game winner?

No different.

"I want another year like that, but better," Volquez said.

Volquez has the makeup to do that. He also has stuff that includes a mid-90s mph fastball and a deceptive changeup to back it up.

"He just has to breathe, that's it," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "Just pitch and progress. That's what I said. That's all."

It's hard to believe the Reds are only one Spring Training removed from when Volquez was the mystery pitcher few had seen pitch in person. At the time, the 25-year-old was simply the guy Cincinnati got back from the Rangers in the trade for Josh Hamilton. And for many fans of the popular Hamilton, that wasn't a good thing.

Although Hamilton had a tremendous year for Texas, there aren't many complaints about the deal now. In his first full big league season, Volquez was 17-6 with a 3.21 ERA in 33 games over 196 innings -- the most he threw at any level. His 206 strikeouts were second-most in the National League.

"Everything I had in my mind came true," Volquez said. "I had a good year last year. I can do better at a couple of things. I want to go deeper in the games. I don't want too many walks. And, I want to win more games."

Volquez did fade somewhat down the stretch last season, and that will have to be monitored in 2009. After a 12-3 record and 2.29 ERA in the first half, he was 5-3 with a 4.60 ERA after the All-Star break. Overall, he had 96 walks and was often prone to longer innings as he ran up his pitch counts.

There were no complete games, and only once did Volquez work more than seven innings. In 14 of his starts, he reached the 110-pitch plateau.

"If [pitch counts] are what we have to worry about -- last year no one knew what we had," Baker said. "That's already progress. A lot of times that second year, you're trying to get a guy to have a winning record. We're trying to get him to keep doing what he's doing. [Instructor] Mario [Soto] has talked to him. [Pitching coach] Dickie [Pole] has talked to him a number of times. We don't want him throwing the ball down the middle of the plate either.

"I've seen Greg Maddux throw 150 pitches early in his career. Everybody remembers the 85-90 pitch Maddux, but that was the mature Maddux."

Just how much Volquez's life has changed in a year was underscored earlier this month. A video circulated on YouTube showing the pitcher having fun in a car with a friend and briefly handling a handgun. Since they were speaking Spanish, many people did not realize what they were watching.

It turned out to be a promotion for a music video and album that the friend in the car, a famous singer in the Dominican Republic, was soon to be releasing.

"A couple of guys called me and asked what was going on," Volquez said. "I told them it was like a joke for one of my friends. I didn't know they even put it on there. When I saw it on the Internet, I said, 'Uh-oh, everybody knows.' The Reds called me and said, 'Don't worry about it. Everybody has guns in the Dominican. You just be careful.' After that, everything is OK."

A year ago, no one would have known Volquez on video and probably wouldn't have cared. Now he's an All-Star with a degree of international fame.

"It was unfortunate, but it was something non-threatening," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "He apologized for it and realized it wasn't a good thing to be associated with."

OK, so Volquez will have to do some things differently to avoid pitfalls of being well-known. But on the mound, he just needs to keep doing what made him famous.

"With his talent, he'll do well," Jocketty said. "You have to learn to make adjustments and finding ways to improve. It's what the game is all about. He's certainly good enough that he'll be able to do it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Volquez sees room for improvement

"The Reds called me and said, 'Don't worry about it. Everybody has guns in the Dominican. You just be careful.' After that, everything is OK."

A year ago, no one would have known Volquez on video and probably wouldn't have cared. Now he's an All-Star with a degree of international fame.

"It was unfortunate, but it was something non-threatening," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "He apologized for it and realized it wasn't a good thing to be associated with."
    Not a big deal, but it sounds like Jocketty and Volquez had very different impressions of the conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Not a big deal, but it sounds like Jocketty and Volquez had very different impressions of the conversation.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

"I've seen Greg Maddux throw 150 pitches early in his career. Everybody remembers the 85-90 pitch Maddux, but that was the mature Maddux."
    Why does Dusty still have a job?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Maddux-believe it or not-once threw 167 pitches in a game...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98805170.shtml

Don Zimmer....you kidder you.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Why does Dusty still have a job?
    You know, i thought Dusty was just making up crap like he always does, so I went and looked it up.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...&t=p&year=1988

1988 seems to be the first year Baseball Reference has pitch counts, and I'll be darned if Maddux didn't actually throw 167 pitches in an 11 inning, 3-0 loss on May 17th.

He also had one game with pitch counts in the 140's and 4 games in the 130's that year, too. And yet, his arm didn't fall off! Makes me think there just might be something to Nolan Ryan's ideas on building up arms...
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Don Zimmer....you kidder you.
    got me by a minute, jojo!
    sorry we're boring

BTW, Sandy Koufax threw 150 or more pitches in 15 games during his short career. He would've thrown more but his arm fell off.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

And it absolutely destroyed him, clearly.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

BTW, Sandy Koufax threw 150 or more pitches in 15 games during his short career. He would've thrown more but his arm fell off.
    so much for small sample sizes...
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?