Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Re: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    They still trade him, right?
    it's not what you'd call a "market," right?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm hoping Edwin hits cleanup. He's a much better option there than Brandon Phillips. JMO.

I dont think anyone wants Brandon to bat 4th. But if you're going to split up Bruce and Votto, a RH hitter has to bat 4th. Maybe Dusty feels that batting 4th is too much pressure for EE. As much as I don't like Dusty the strategist, I think he is very attuned to what his players can and can't handle psychologically. Nothing is forever. Just because Brandon't batting 4th on Opening Day doesn't mean he'll still be there in June or August. Perhaps if EE gets more confidence, Dusty will move him to 4th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    As everyone here probably knows, I'm one of Edwins biggest fans.

We have heard from every Manager EE has ever had that nobody works harder or cares more about improving his game than Edwin.

Yet it's so easy for many of us to forget the circumstances in which Edwin has been learning his trade. EE was thrown from the frying pan into the fire at a very young age. Most of his lessons learned have been at the highest level of the game. (and he has done well) We forget he is only a few months older than Joey Votto.

I hope and pray he gets off to a good start in 2009 or the local media will slip the noose around his neck so that the fanbase might hang him.
    We're not likely to find out until he goes elsewhere but does this speak to the Reds' quality of instruction? Sure, some players can't be "fixed" and sure, there are good instructors who don't "reach" everyone. But it seems to me that the Reds really have problems developing fundamentally sound players.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    it seems to me that the Reds really have problems developing fundamentally sound players.
    it seems to me that the Reds have trouble accepting that a kid just can't play a certain position. Jay Bruce was playing CF for most of his minor league career. Juan Francisco had to request his move to the OF.

Todd Frazier: 2010 Opening Day shortstop

interesting thing is that Reds have a history of trying to force first basemen to play third base: Deron Johnson, Tony Perez, Nick Esasky, Johnny Bench in his later years, briefly Paul Konerko. They just don't want to waste arm strength at first base.
    Last edited by princeton; 02-18-2009 at 09:34 AM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Encarnacion admits to getting pull happy
    Posted by JohnFay at 2/18/2009 8:49 AM EST

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Edwin Encarnacion arrived at camp today $7.6 million richer and with a whole new plan:

"I'm going to try to stay more to the middle," he said. "Last year, I tried to hit too many home runs. I pulled everything. The home runs are going to come. That's why my average was down.

“I know I can do it because I did it before. I have to be working. Sometimes, I try to hit the ball too hard and pull it. Sometimes your mind goes crazy. You have to be smart in this game. You’ve got to go the plate with a plan. That makes you a better hitter.”

Dusty Baker was happy to hear that.

"We talked about it," Baker said. "The Edwin I knew was right-center who could pull. To be a pull hitter, you got to be perfect. It happens to a lot of people. It happened to me. He got that deadly disease -- it's not deadly but it's a disease -- I call it home run-itis. You start liking that trot.

He knows his defense has to get better. He made 23 errors last.

“I worked on that in offseason,” he said. I worked on throwing. That’s the problem I have. I catch everything. Sometime, I throw it away. The first thing to win games is play good defense.”

Encarnacion has the second longest continuous tenure of any Red.

“Unbelievable. That’s what Rick (Stowe) told me,” Encarnacion said. “I can make the rules now.”

Encarnacion would like to stay with the Reds beyond his contract. "I'm secure to stay here two more years," he said. "After that, I want to stay here because we’ve got great young players.” "I was nervous," he said. "I don't want to go."
    sorry we're boring

"I'm going to try to stay more to the middle," he said. "Last year, I tried to hit too many home runs. I pulled everything. The home runs are going to come. That's why my average was down.
    On target. Let's hope he can make the adjustment. He showed a better approach in 07, so I think he can. Not a big fan of some things Baker does, but he's been absolutely right about EdE's swing.

Encarnacion would like to stay with the Reds beyond his contract. "I'm secure to stay here two more years," he said. "After that, I want to stay here because we’ve got great young players.” "I was nervous," he said. "I don't want to go."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    interesting thing is that Reds have a history of trying to force first basemen to play third base: Deron Johnson, Tony Perez, Nick Esasky, Johnny Bench in his later years, briefly Paul Konerko. They just don't want to waste arm strength at first base.
    Don't forget Dmitri Young.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?