Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Oil Can Boyd wants to make a comeback at 49

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oil Can Boyd wants to make a comeback at 49

Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd wants to pitch in the big leagues again -- at age 49 and 18 years after his last major league appearance.

Boyd sees himself as a modern-day Satchel Paige, who pitched professionally into his 50s.

"Satchel being my idol and knowing he didn't come into the (majors) until he was in his early 40s, that's always been in the back of my mind," Boyd told The Boston Globe. "Now, I've been given back the fastball I once had. I want to play."

Boyd told the Globe his fastball is in the low 90s and his breaking pitches are sharp. Former Sox catcher Mike Stanley seemed to concur when the newspaper interviewed him about Boyd. Stanley caught The Can during a recent Boston Red Sox fantasy camp.

"He looks no different to me now than when I caught him in Texas (with the Rangers). He still has the same passion. I don't know if he was getting to 90 because we didn't have a (radar) gun, but he still had the same stuff. The same tight slider, curve, fastball," the Globe quoted Stanley as saying.

This would be the latest in a series of comeback attempts by Boyd. His most recent one was in 2005 with the Brockton Rox of the independent Can-Am League. Boyd last pitched in the majors in 1991 for the Rangers; he left the game with a 78-77 record over 10 seasons with the Red Sox, Rangers and Montreal Expos.

"I have nothing to lose, and all a major league team has to lose is 15 minutes," the Globe quoted Boyd as saying. "Give me 15 minutes and I'll show I can still pitch. That's all I want."
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=518294

Just thought this was interesting. I seriously doubt anyone will give him a shot but it'd be pretty interesting to see. At best I can see him being signed on to a temporary contract with another independent team as a publicity stunt to get people into the stands.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Re: Oil Can Boyd wants to make a comeback at 49

I'm willing to bet $ that his fastball isnt in the 90s anymore.

I want my 15 minutes too.

If Josh Fogg gets to pitch in the majors, surely this man can have another shot.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Ding Ding Ding......We have a fifth starter.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

It's not like he was anything great in the 1st place.... Oh wait! Maybe he's re-discovered the secret of the Hod Eller "shine ball"!!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    It's not like he was anything great in the 1st place.... Oh wait! Maybe he's re-discovered the secret of the Hod Eller "shine ball"!!
    this guy was a bird dog to begin with your right
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

My fastball is in the 90's. I mean, it's still in the 1990's. I think my fastball in the 2000's is in the 60's or 70's mph range. LOL.

Turn Off Ads?