Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds reach agreement with Encarnacion

Re: Reds reach agreement with Encarnacion

All of the upcoming talent is definitely a good problem to have. People have been saying it for a couple of years now but this season truly is the year Edwin has to step up or he won't be with the Reds very much longer. If he does, great, helps our chances the next couple years and at that salary no big deal but if he doesn't, there is help on the way and you can ship him somewhere else. Good job Walt and Co.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wonder if I can get a bailout from EE?

He doesn't run out pop ups. He can't throw to first base consistently.
    Last edited by Red in Chicago; 02-20-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: excessive criticism

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    I'm sick of having this ugly crybaby manning third base.

Baseball is a business, too.

You sign MARKETABLE players.

- No ugly faces.
    - No ugly names (Wigginton, Encarnacion, Edwin, Gomes)
    - Good ball players
    Wow, we've got an early clubhouse leader for stupidest post of the year...

Edwin Encarnacion is an ugly crybaby with braces. He can't speak English. He doesn't run out pop ups. He can't throw to first base consistently. He is ugly as death. I could hit him in the face with a brick and he wold look better than he does now. I will deport him.
    Whoops, spoke too soon, new leader!

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    There have been a number of posts in the org concerning the implications of this deal with respect to minor league 3B candidates.

My read is that the Reds are not confident that any of these candidates will be ready in
    2010. The two year deal for EE provides a measure of safety. Should someone develop into a can't miss prospect during this year, EE's 2010 salary would not preclude dealing him for a one year rental to fill a hole elsewhere.

On the other hand, limiting EE's contract to two years may indicate a belief that one of
    these candidates is likely to be ready by 2011. I think it is a good signing that provides an affordable, acceptable hedge against some of the prospects failing to measure up to our lofty Redszone expectations.
    My first reaction was surprise since I expected another one year deal. My second thought was 'why a 2nd year?'. My third thought was 'wait a minute, 2 years for only that much??' Hell I bet if EE had gone ahead with the arbitration hearing this year and again next year he would've ended up making more. I like this ALOT if this is true. Like you I think this will provide an excellent hedge against the chance the prospects won't be ready and at a very reasonable price. Not only does this provide insurance at 3rd in 2010 but this could also enhance his trade value especially if he improves at all this year. Worst case we'll just let him walk and collect a sandwich pick in the 2011 draft. This is a very smart move imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    It's fine for this year - next year is the problem. We're set for the following salaries in 2010:

BP 6.75
    EE 4.75
    Tavares 4
    Harang 12.5
    Arroyo 11.0
    Cordero 12.0
    Gonzo 6.0 (option, more likely Gonzo is Gone-zo)

That's a lot of jack - $51M not counting Gonzo - for 6 guys of a 25 man roster. None of
    them are superstars, mostly high-risk low-reward.

Luckily we have Votto (who should be arb eligible) and Bruce (should not be) who should be cheap yet productive, otherwise we are looking at rookies to fill out out the rest of the roster (with Lincoln and Rhodes totalling $4.5M) - to give us an ~$70M roster - with the SAME issues of no SS and C, and Wily Tavares the "answer" in CF.

Plus, we'll have Votto, Volquez, and Cueto - and possibly Owings, Keppinger, Burton and/or Bray - eligible for arbitration....

Excuse me, while I kiss the sky - and puke in my mouth!
    Of the ones you mentioned Burton, Hopper, Kepp, Owings & probably Bray (not positive about him) are the only ones who will be arbitation eligible before 2011. Gonzo will be gone. Weathers and Hernandez will also be gone. Most importantly, the emergence of the young pitchers could make Arroyo expendable before 2010. (If Volquez, Harang, and Cueto become the #1-3 starting pitchers as expected Arroyo will be a very expensive #4. Throw in Owings, Ramirez, Thompson, etc and I see another salary dump possible just like Jr & Dunn)

In 2011 BP could be the only player with a big contract left.

BP $11M in 2011 with $12M club option for 2012 with a $1M buyout
    EE unless he takes a big step forward offensively and defensively he'll likely be gone
    Tavares should be gone
    Harang 2011 club option for $12.775m with $2M buyout
    Arroyo 2011 club option for $11m with $2m buyout but likely gone
    Cordero $12m in 2011 with $12M club option for 2012 with a $1M buyout but could also be dealt in a salary dump as well. His no-trade clause becomes a limited no-trade clause after this year.
    Gonzo gone

Alonso, Frazier, Stubbs, Soto, Francisco, Valaika, Cozart, Dorn, Ramirez, & Thompson may all be up by, or before, 2011 and each of them will cost less than a million in 2011.

I'm not that worried about the 2010 budget and after 2010 we could be in good shape for years to come.

Absolutely love this deal for the Reds. If Edwin turns it on this season as so many of us believe that he can, then this two year deal could end up looking like a steal.

At worst, say someone like Frazier is ready by next year and Edwin becomes expendable, it's still a very appealing affordable contract to flip him to another team.

Edwin Encarnacion is an ugly crybaby with braces. He can't speak English. He doesn't run out pop ups. He can't throw to first base consistently. He is ugly as death. I could hit him in the face with a brick and he wold look better than he does now. I will deport him.
    Because we all know, in order to be a good baseball player, you have to be handsome and have a good dental plan. Oh, and I forgot, you have to speak fluent English. After that, you're set.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Of the ones you mentioned Burton, Hopper, Kepp, Owings & probably Bray (not positive about him) are the only ones who will be arbitation eligible before 2011.
    Slight chance that Votto MAY be a "Super 2", but we won't know if he's in the "top 17% of players with at least 2 years, but less than 3 years experience"

Most importantly, the emergence of the young pitchers could make Arroyo expendable before 2010. (If Volquez, Harang, and Cueto become the #1-3 starting pitchers as expected Arroyo will be a very expensive #4. Throw in Owings, Ramirez, Thompson, etc and I see another salary dump possible just like Jr & Dunn)
    I don't see how he becomes expendable before 2010.
    I think a lot of folks undervalue Arroyo. By 2011, his salary is probably a virtual bargain.
    IFF Volquez and Cueto become TOR guys, I don't think you look at is as Arroyo is an expensive #4 - you look at it as Volquez and Cueto are BARGAINS. You don't go for AAAA guys to fill 4-5 simply to dump salary; it's thinking like that that has kept us from getting anything closely resembling a ML starting rotation for over a decade. If you've got less than $25M in this top 4, you take advantage of that and spend money elsewhere - something we're not doing, at least wisely, right now...

In 2011 BP could be the only player with a big contract left.

BP $11M in 2011 with $12M club option for 2012 with a $1M buyout
    EE unless he takes a big step forward offensively and defensively he'll likely be gone
    Tavares should be gone
    Harang 2011 club option for $12.775m with $2M buyout
    Arroyo 2011 club option for $11m with $2m buyout but likely gone
    Cordero $12m in 2011 with $12M club option for 2012 with a $1M buyout but could also be dealt in a salary dump as well. His no-trade clause becomes a limited no-trade clause after this year.
    Gonzo gone
    I would argue that outside of Tavares and Gonzo (who aren't under contract), BP is the next best candidate to NOT be here from that group, and definitely the most likely from folks with a current contract for that year.

He definitely has the largest hole(s) in his game from that list.
    He would have to make HUGE strides to ever deserve to cash that $11M from the Reds Organization in 2011.

Alonso, Frazier, Stubbs, Soto, Francisco, Valaika, Cozart, Dorn, Ramirez, & Thompson may all be up by, or before, 2011 and each of them will cost less than a million in 2011.
    Agreed. More like $500/600K.

However, I'm not sold on that being a reason to jettison guys making $10M+, especially when they are pitchers.

However, the only worse thing would be keeping all of those $10M+ pitchers and surrounding them with continued SUCK on offense like we currently are.

I don't put all my eggs in the youth basket - because not every prospect does a Joey Votto or even a Jay Bruce first year/year&half in the bigs. More likely they do a Homer Bailey.

If it was my team, I'd have put a Milton Bradley in LF, gone with Dickerson/platoon in CF, and a Baldelli for the bench/wildcard.

As it stands now, unless Tavares can run himself out of a job, we'll now need two Bradley-types on offense to make up for him, outside of a Bret Butler morph from Willy.

I'm not that worried about the 2010 budget and after 2010 we could be in good shape for years to come.

Perhaps good shape budget-wise, but talent-wise is another story.
    Best case scenario is that we keep our veteran pitchers because we have something to surround them with. Otherwise, it is a waste of resources to have them on a team battling the Pirates for 6th place.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Last edited by BLEEDS; 02-18-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

He REALLY needs to get going this year and stop being such a disappointment. Fortunately, this deal fits him well. Good thing were not overpaying him.

Like the 2-year signing. Would have loved a 4-year signing and get him locked in during his prime years. A 4-year signing would have made him more valuable as both a keeper and as trade value to other teams. There are only a handful of 3rd Basemen that will OPS what EE will over each of the next 4 years.

The REDS will never see Arroyo and his $11M on the team in 2010. That salary will be gone sometime over the next 6 months.

What I don't understand is why would Dusty Baker say that Brandon Phillips will bat cleanup when EE will surely have an OPS about 65 points higher than Brandon's will be. BP's upside OPS is EE's downside OPS. The most likely range for BP will be .750-.800, where EE's will be .800-.850.

The REDS still have rights to him in 2011 as that will be EE's last year of arbitration. The REDS can make a pure decision at that time to keep him or let him go.

Turn Off Ads?