Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talker.COM Top 100

Re: Talker.COM Top 100

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep, talk radio is a dying thing.. thank god, it's the refuge of the untalented and the crass.
    Refuge of the untalented, hmmm?

So keeping an audience entertained and tuned in for five hours a day for, say, 25 years doesn't require talent? You could do it?

The average person would be lucky to do such a job with any success for 25 minutes much less 25 years.
    Last edited by WMR; 02-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The average person would be lucky to do such a job with any success for 25 minutes much less 25 years.
    Quoted for truth.

Whether you agree with the people who have talk radio shows or not, doing talk radio is one of the more difficult jobs out there -- especially if you do it well. It's a lot more difficult than throwing the phone lines open and seeing who calls. People who are successful long-term in talk radio are usually very talented individuals on many different levels, both as entertainers and personalities themselves.

I'm probably biased, though, considering I have family that does it for a living.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Howard Stern #32?

That list = FAIL
    Is it "all time" or just this year?

Because if it's just this year, there's no doubt that Stern (and, my favorites, Opie & Anthony) has suffered from major loss of influence due to the slowdown in the satellite radio industry.

It also can't help perception that the new Sirius-XM is floundering financially and having it's long-term business-model viability questioned.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Refuge of the untalented, hmmm?

So keeping an audience entertained and tuned in for five hours a day for, say, 25 years doesn't require talent? You could do it?

The average guy I know could do 25 minutes of fart and boob jokes or rail on the opposing political party in their sleep.

As for 25 years of doing it I guess I missed the part where I actually named Howard Stern as the one that I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Where's Mike McConnell?

I agree, I am a talk radio junkie and Mike is one of the best.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Whether you agree with the people who have talk radio shows or not, doing talk radio is one of the more difficult jobs out there -- especially if you do it well. It's a lot more difficult than throwing the phone lines open and seeing who calls. People who are successful long-term in talk radio are usually very talented individuals on many different levels, both as entertainers and personalities themselves.

I'm probably biased, though, considering I have family that does it for a living.
    WOY: this is the overall point I was making.

Whether it's 25 years in the case of HS or 6 months in the case of the local flavor of the month, if people find you boring and untalented it is likely exposed very quickly. Perhaps 25 minutes was too rash... how about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week? That's a damn hard job, IMO.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The average guy I know could do 25 minutes of fart and boob jokes or rail on the opposing political party in their sleep.

They probably could but could they keep an audience tuned in for 3 hours a day 5 days a week?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They probably could but could they keep an audience tuned in for 3 hours a day 5 days a week?
    The reality is the average person can't make it through a single phone call to a talk-show without repeating themselves six times and boring us to tears. But any old rube can actually host a show? Please.

I'm with you. Doing it day in and day out isn't as easy as one would think.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    The reality is the average person can't make it through a single phone call to a talk-show without repeating themselves six times and boring us to tears. But any old rube can actually host a show? Please.

I'm with you. Doing it day in and day out isn't as easy as one would think.

I know I rag on Marty - and other broadcasters - about their method(s) of calling a game, but the average Joe - and I include myself in that - would sound like a bumbling fool if they were in the booth without any training whatsoever. Not only do these guys have to describe the action on the field, read ads, entertain and do it all while sounding like it's the equivilant of a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I know I rag on Marty - and other broadcasters - about their method(s) of calling a game, but the average Joe - and I include myself in that - would sound like a bumbling fool if they were in the booth without any training whatsoever. Not only do these guys have to describe the action on the field, read ads, entertain and do it all while sounding like it's the equivilant of a walk in the park.
    So you ARE a Marty fanboy after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :

I just KNEW there was a reason why you've always been so willing to listen to the HSL Show!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Still, I'd rather hear someone on local radio raking the mayor and the city council over the coals than the President and the Congress. What really frosts me lately is hearing local voices devote so much airtime to national issues. I guess they don't worry about how much that sets the table for them to be replaced by a voice beamed in from elsewhere.
    Dude, dude, don't worry you are going to get your wish. I predict that very soon you'll be up to your ears in local radio. At least for a while, it may all turn to music, but for that short time oh glory, glory hallelujah what a time that will be! I mean if that's what you're into.

Howard Stern #32?

That list = FAIL
    Imus #20 is even more laughable. He's lucky to have 20 total listeners

Yep, talk radio is a dying thing.. thank god, it's the refuge of the untalented and the crass.
    What gives the idea that talk radio is dying? Local talk shows are being replaced by syndicated ones, not music or other formats.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Dude, dude, don't worry you are going to get your wish. I predict that very soon you'll be up to your ears in local radio. At least for a while, it may all turn to music, but for that short time oh glory, glory hallelujah what a time that will be! I mean if that's what you're into.
    So that mega-radio company that's headquartered in my city and south of yours is going to wave a magic wand and make all of its stations local again? I'll believe that after I see one of these.
    /r/reds

So you ARE a Marty fanboy after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111 :

I just KNEW there was a reason why you've always been so willing to listen to the HSL Show!

Nah. I only listen to it hoping for a mention of Javy.

Turn Off Ads?