Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: history teacher... any suggestions?

history teacher... any suggestions?

This question is aimed primarily at those in the education field, but even if you're not in the education field, feel free to throw in your 2 cents...

I graduated from OSU with a journalism degree in 2007. I'm returning to school spring quarter to pursue a social studies teacher license. I have a list of prereq's I need to complete before entering the masters program of education. My question was, would I be at a competitive disadvantage compared to other teachers if I did not pursue a history degree? Would that hurt me on the job market? Hurt me from a knowledge standpoint? Any insight or opinions would be helpful. An old high school teacher of mine strongly recommends getting a degree in history, and says that I can be a social studies teacher without one, but I'll be less of one. Financially, I'd really rather not tack on even more loans, but if it makes me that better off in the end, I'll have little choice I suppose. Thanks for any help!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: history teacher... any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    This question is aimed primarily at those in the education field, but even if you're not in the education field, feel free to throw in your 2 cents...

I graduated from OSU with a journalism degree in 2007. I'm returning to school spring quarter to pursue a social studies teacher license. I have a list of prereq's I need to complete before entering the masters program of education. My question was, would I be at a competitive disadvantage compared to other teachers if I did not pursue a history degree? Would that hurt me on the job market? Hurt me from a knowledge standpoint? Any insight or opinions would be helpful. An old high school teacher of mine strongly recommends getting a degree in history, and says that I can be a social studies teacher without one, but I'll be less of one. Financially, I'd really rather not tack on even more loans, but if it makes me that better off in the end, I'll have little choice I suppose. Thanks for any help!

I know here in Indiana, Social Studies teachers are a "dime-a-dozen." If you want to separate yourself a bit, coach. Also, with a journalism degree, I know journalism teachers who run the schools newspapers are hard to find. A school may give you an emergency license to do just that, but you'll have to do a bunch of other stuff for the newspaper stuff.

Honestly, the teacher market in the midwest is terrible no matter how good/bad the economy is. Education is one of the few markets protected, a little bit, by the economy. Either way, in a thriving one, it's still hard to fine one. I'm pretty close to moving to Texas to finding a regular teaching job because they're so scarce up here. Not to mention, I can't stand it from December - March up here.
    Last edited by DTCromer; 02-18-2009 at 07:46 AM.

I had a friend who had a teaching degree from Dayton and wanted to be a history teacher. I don't know if history was his only option or what. But he graduated in 06 and just landed a full time teaching job last year. The problem with being a high school history teacher is many of the schools football coaches teach some sort of history.

If you were looking at becoming a grade school history/social studies teacher I wouldn't look to major in history. In reality you could teach yourself the entire subject matter in the matter of a few days.

A good friend of mine graduated from OSU last year (June 2008) with a degree in history. She is now in the master's degree program here at OSU in history to become a teacher. I know she student teaches at a school downtown and also takes classes as part of the program. If you had any specific questions about the program itself I could talk to her for you.

In reality you could teach yourself the entire subject matter in the matter of a few days.
    If you wanted to teach it poorly yes you could learn it in a matter of days.

No, you are absolutely more marketable than a "history" teacher. I have a SS degree, and can teach history, sociology, geography, and political science. I would highly recommend you also get some kind of certificate in special education. Like someone said, we are a dime a dozen. Anything you can do to get your foot in the door is a plus. I'd at least see how many more classes it would take to get a special ed. certificate, it will go a long way towards your initial employment. And later on, you can probably transfer into a strictly history type job. With the social studies certificate, you'll probably end up with at least a history minor.

I appreciate the comments, thanks everyone.

Cin,

I have a Social Studies degree. It does make you more marketable, but good luck finding a job after graduation! Everything is tough right now, but Ohio has over 50 colleges churning out Social Studies majors. If your flexible and can move, I reccomend a venture down South or out West where jobs are aplenty.

Honestly, if I were you, I would get a business education degree so you could either teach business in High Schools or get a regular job. That way, if the teaching thing doesn't work out right away, you could still find a job doing almost anything. Just a thought. PM me if you have further questions.

I have my History degree as well. I would recommend going ahead and getting it. You teach a lot more in history class than just WWII and the Civil War. I also have my Middle School Social Studies endorsement. Problem is so does everyone else. Its a rough market, especially in the tri-state area right now.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    No, you are absolutely more marketable than a "history" teacher. I have a SS degree, and can teach history, sociology, geography, and political science. I would highly recommend you also get some kind of certificate in special education. Like someone said, we are a dime a dozen. Anything you can do to get your foot in the door is a plus. I'd at least see how many more classes it would take to get a special ed. certificate, it will go a long way towards your initial employment. And later on, you can probably transfer into a strictly history type job. With the social studies certificate, you'll probably end up with at least a history minor.
    Special Ed is the way to go. Loudoun County Va is where I live and my wife subs in their system. She subs for special ed classes mostly and lot of those don't have a regular teacher. I could get apply for a special ed teacher with my four year degree in Business Admin and be hired quickly as long as I agreed to take the special ed training within a couple of years.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Special Ed is the way to go.
    Hard work, hard, hard work.

My wife works with young adults with special needs, it is a tough job that takes a little more out of you than the average teaching position.

X2 If you want to nail down a job right away be a SPECIAL EDUCATION teacher.
    Where do you live? Anitoch University McGregor has a teacher ed/masters program. You won't need to go back for pre-recs and it takes 5 quarters.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

My wife works with young adults with special needs, it is a tough job that takes a little more out of you than the average teaching position.
    That's correct. My mom is an aide in a special ed class, and I have experience in a special ed class also. I'm currently a substitute teacher, and the special ed teacher at one of the high schools is the mother of one of my best friends, so any time she needs someone she gives me a call. I LOVE those kids to death, and it's my favorite classroom to sub in. But I see what the teachers go through, and I'm just not so sure I could do it.

For instance, the classroom that I help with, they have a girl who is very prone to seizures. Any sudden movement or loud noise can throw her into one. Yet, next school year, another girl who is very violent is coming into the classroom. Now obviously there is nothing that sweet girl can do about her condition, but it's VERY dangerous to put her and the other girl in the same room together. She throws chairs, she screams, she hits people. The safety and well being of both of the children is an issue, yet they have hardly a choice but to try and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Very much agree. My wife comes back from most of those worn out. I'm just saying if you want to get a guaranteed teaching job go for that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

That's correct. My mom is an aide in a special ed class, and I have experience in a special ed class also. I'm currently a substitute teacher, and the special ed teacher at one of the high schools is the mother of one of my best friends, so any time she needs someone she gives me a call. I LOVE those kids to death, and it's my favorite classroom to sub in. But I see what the teachers go through, and I'm just not so sure I could do it.

For instance, the classroom that I help with, they have a girl who is very prone to seizures. Any sudden movement or loud noise can throw her into one. Yet, next school year, another girl who is very violent is coming into the classroom. Now obviously there is nothing that sweet girl can do about her condition, but it's VERY dangerous to put her and the other girl in the same room together. She throws chairs, she screams, she hits people. The safety and well being of both of the children is an issue, yet they have hardly a choice but to try and make it work.
    There are different types of SpEd classroom though.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Turn Off Ads?