Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: history teacher... any suggestions?

Re: history teacher... any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    You teach a lot more in history class than just WWII and the Civil War.
    Amen to that! When I chose to major in history I was only interested in one subject of history, warfare! I couldn't wait to share my vast knowledge of the world wars, the revolution, and the war between the states. However, now that I've been teaching for the majority of the decade my interest in history has also expanded to politics. You learn more even as you teach!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Amen to that! When I chose to major in history I was only interested in one subject of history, warfare! I couldn't wait to share my vast knowledge of the world wars, the revolution, and the war between the states. However, now that I've been teaching for the majority of the decade my interest in history has also expanded to politics. You learn more even as you teach!
    I love the history of the "War of Northern Aggression against the Sunny States of the South"!
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Quote Originally Posted by smoke6 View Post
    I love the history of the "War of Northern Aggression against the Sunny States of the South"!
    "War for Southern Independence" is a good one as well! Growing up I never thought anything of seeing a rebel flag with the sayings "The South Will Rise Again" or "Lee Surrendered, I Didn't." Now everytime I see one of those flags I laugh my butt off thinking of some redneck drinking a Bud and saluting those flags!

I shouldn't laugh too much though, cause growing up a Hank Jr. fan I have one of his rebel flag with the title of his song "If the South Would've Won We Would've Had It Made."

Does anyone know anything about teaching abroad? If the right situation presented itself I'd consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Does anyone know anything about teaching abroad? If the right situation presented itself I'd consider that.
    Just make sure they pay for EVERYTHING! House, travel, food, clothing, etc. Plus make sure you get triple the salary you make in the good ol' US of A.

PS It should all be tax free as well.

I know of a teacher's son teaching in Shanghai. She said he absolutely loves it. I've also looked into teaching abroad at times, but most of the deadlines for next school year have passed. You can pretty much teach anywhere in the world if you'd like. Just Google it and lots of sites will pop up.

I know someone teaching in South Korea and he absolutely loves it. So much so he is going back for a second year.

China I know has lots of opportunities. We had a rep come talk to our edu department when I was still in college. I actually considered it for awhile. I would have to look into that a little more as I don't remember much about it.

I think it both cases the teacher just teaches English.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Can anyone give me any info. on the state of teaching in Florida? Hard to get a job, easy, any other info. that might help.

As other posters mentioned, special ed will give you job security, but it is HARD work. Social studies is my first passion but I've never even attempted to get a job in those content areas as the market is soooo tough.

I've been teaching music for eight years and finding a job has always been fairly easy. I've had to move cities several times (Cleveland to Columbus to Cincinnati) for personal reasons. I think the reasons I've had very little trouble are 1)I have a K-12 license in a relatively underrepresented subject area, and I'm willing to teach K-8 which a lot of my fellow music teachers are not. 2) I have technology skills that the schools find useful. I've served successfully as a tech coordinator and it really pads my resume.

Sorry to ramble. I guess what I am getting at is that the more diversified your skill set, the more marketable you are. The midwest is tough, but there are jobs to be found with persistence and marketability.

Edit: The jobs grow on trees in Florida. Half of my graduating class teaches there.

Turn Off Ads?