Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nationals prospect falsified identity

Re: Nationals prospect falsified identity

Thank God Larkin got out of there.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rijo takes leave from Nationals

VIERA, Fla. (AP) -- Washington Nationals special assistant Jose Rijo is taking a leave of absence after a Major League Baseball investigation revealed a prospect he discovered was older than originally believed.

Rijo, a former top pitcher in the majors, now works under Nats general manager Jim Bowden. Team president Stan Kasten said Rijo is still employed by the club.

"Jose is on a leave of absence, and with all the questions around camp and with what's going on behind the scenes, we thought rather than be a distraction, he is better off away from camp," Kasten said Saturday.

"Plus, his mom really is quite ill, so it's time for him to be somewhere else," he said.

On Wednesday, it was announced that prospect Esmailyn "Smiley" Gonzalez of the Dominican Republic lied about his age and name. Rijo has been credited with spotting Gonzalez about two years before the Nationals signed him.

Gonzalez received a $1.4 million signing bonus in 2006 when the Nationals signed what they thought was a 16-year-old shortstop. At the time, Bowden compared Gonzalez to Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith.

The Nationals had been listing his date of birth as Sept. 21, 1989, which would make him 19. But Kasten said an MLB investigation determined Gonzalez is actually Carlos David Alvarez Lugo, who was born in November 1985 -- meaning he is really 23.

While Kasten said there were "a number of people involved" in the hoax, he would not say whether anyone employed by the Nationals is suspected of playing a role.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

The most significant aspect of this chapter in Nats history? The Ms can have Strasburg if they want him next June.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

When former general manager Dan O'Brien took over the Reds in 2003, he ended the team's relationship with Rijo's academy. One reason is the Reds were paying more than $50,000 a month in rent to use the facility. The Reds were also concerned that Rijo had players at the academy who weren't under contract with the Reds.

The Reds currently pay less than $20,000 a month for a shared facility in the Dominican, which produced pitcher Johnny Cueto and infielder Juan Francisco.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...902220413/1071
    Well, for all of the (mostly deserved) crap we give O'Brien on here, I guess we have to give him credit for getting the Reds out of this debacle in the making. I actually think I recall being mad when O'Brien did this. Looks like he was right and I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The most significant aspect of this chapter in Nats history? The Ms can have Strasburg if they want him next June.
    Why?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...als/index.html

A federal investigation into the skimming of signing bonuses given to baseball prospects from Latin America is looking at Washington Nationals general manager Jim Bowden as far back as 1994, when he was GM of the Cincinnati Reds, according to a baseball executive familiar with the investigation.

Two sources inside baseball say that a long-time scout in Latin America, Jorge Oquendo, 47, is the man who links the FBI's investigations of Bowden and his special assistant Jose Rijo to that of former Chicago White Sox senior director of player personnel David Wilder. Last May the White Sox fired Wilder and two Dominican-based scouts after allegations surfaced that they had pocketed money earmarked for player signing bonuses. Oquendo worked for Wilder in 2006 and 2007, as well as for Bowden with the Reds in 1994 and again with the Reds from 2000 through 2003. Oquendo left Cincinnati in 2005, two years after Bowden was fired. (Bowden became Nationals GM in 2004.)

A spokesman for the FBI division handling the case refused comment when contacted by SI on Friday, and Bowden, who has previously denied any wrongdoing, did not respond to SI's interview request. Rijo's voicemail was full on Sunday and could not accept new messages. Rijo, who took an indefinite leave of absence from the Nationals on Saturday in the wake of an SI.com report that one of the team's top Latin American prospects had falsified his name and age, was quoted in Sunday's Washington Times as saying, "When all of this comes out, people will see I didn't do anything wrong." Wilder declined to comment about the charges in July and did not return calls from SI this past week.

Oquendo told SI last month that he was not involved in any skimming but confirmed that he had been contacted by the FBI. "I was totally shocked," Oquendo said of the allegations involving Wilder. "[But] I don't live with the guy; I don't know what he's doing." Oquendo also distances himself from Bowden, saying, "He didn't even know who I was."

A former Reds executive, who also requested anonymity due to the ongoing investigation, told SI that Bowden rehired Oquendo in 2000, this time as the Reds director of international scouting, based on the recommendation of Cincinnati's senior director of player development and scouting, Leland Maddox, a close associate of Wilder's. A phone message left at Maddox's residence was not returned, and a woman who answered Maddox's home phone on Saturday said he was out of town.

Oquendo's ties to Wilder extend back to 1982, when they played together on the Idaho Falls Rookie League team, the lowest level of the Oakland Athletics farm system. Wilder, an outfielder, was one of the team's best players; Oquendo played first base and hit .348. Despite their promising professional starts, neither possessed major league talent, but neither wanted to give up their baseball dreams. Each decided to pursue front office jobs. Wilder began working in player development for the A's in 1990. He shifted to scouting for the Atlanta Braves one year later and continued climbing the front office ranks with the Chicago Cubs and Milwaukee Brewers. By 2004 he had joined the White Sox, overseeing the club's entire minor league system, including its Latin American operations. His savvy player evaluations, such as picking up closer Bobby Jenks off the waiver wire in 2004, put Wilder on the short list of future general manager candidates. In fact, he was interviewed for GM jobs by the Boston Red Sox in 2005 and by the Reds in 2006.

Before the 2006 season Wilder hired his old teammate Oquendo away from the Reds and assigned him to Latin American scouting duties. Oquendo was dismissed from his job as a scout by the White Sox more than a year ago; he's now an employee of Federal Express in Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. "I'm done with baseball," he told SI. But baseball is not done with him.

Good to see Bowden brought even further embarrassment to the Reds. Not only did he take a wrecking ball to a once proud franchise, he was also potentially involved in a huge international scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Why?
    Because Bowden either won't have the juice to the grease the bonus or the Nats will have a FO in flux.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Perception does matter but cash can definitely sway any player. that being said a vet with other options passes on Nats if Bowdens in charge. Thta man is a roto geek but sadly employed by a real MLB team.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Bowden Under Investigation

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...-investigation

I'm really curious about how this could turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Because Bowden either won't have the juice to the grease the bonus or the Nats will have a FO in flux.
    Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking on M's fans part. I don't think it matters who the GM is come draft day, Strasburg is a Nat unless he gets injured or has a bad year. Can you imagine the uproar if the Nats were to go cheap and pass on Strasburg? Especially after not signing last years pick.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sorry, but I think that's wishful thinking on M's fans part. I don't think it matters who the GM is come draft day, Strasburg is a Nat unless he gets injured or has a bad year. Can you imagine the uproar if the Nats were to go cheap and pass on Strasburg? Especially after not signing last years pick.
    All ten Nats fans could cry out in unison and Horton wouldn't hear them....

I don't think it's a given that Strasburg will be #1 irrespective of the trainwreck in the Nats FO. Considering the trainwreck, I think it's even less of a given.

It's likely that I'm going to be happy with whomever the Ms take at #2 so there really isn't any wishful thinking on my part.

Allen: No comment on Bowden
    Posted by JohnFay at 2/23/2009 11:33 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

John Allen, the former Reds chief operating officer, said through a spokesman that he'll have no comment on Jim Bowden's situation. SI.com reported that Washington GM Bowden was being investigated for skimming money from signing bonuses, dating back to his days a general manager with the Reds."It would be inappropriate for me to comment," Allen said.Allen was Bowden's superior with the Reds.

Jorge Oquendo, who denied wrong doing but admitted he had been interviewed by the FBI in SI.com, worked for the Reds in 1994. He was director of international scouting from 2000 to 2003. He was a scout in 2004 and í05. Leland Maddox, one of Bowden's former assistant GMs, recommended that Bowden rehire Oquendo, according SI.com.

The Reds signed very few international players to big bonuses in Bowdenís tenure as GM. They did sign outfielder Alejandro Pena for $1.4 million in 1999. He never got above Double-A before being released.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    I miss Adam Dunn.

9:02pm: Thomas Boswell and Dave Sheinin of the Washington Post report that some officials within the Nationals' ownership, including Managing Principal Owner Ted Lerner, are "eager to cut ties with the general manager." They write:

"The Nationals, one source said, are encouraging the investigation to return an answer on Bowden so the parties can 'go on their merry way.'"

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

What took them so bleeping long? Guess they enjoy being the laughingstock of MLB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?